Where are they now? | Golden Skate

Where are they now?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
There aren’t many times I can even recall GS these days as I struggle but I wonder about some skaters we don’t see any more and what they are up to. I was thrilled to read Dai would give it another shot. If only Yuna would skate again and Mao would return. ButbJapan has so much young talent that is not likely, still I miss her - a legend and an artist.

Has Katia G basically retired or is she still asked to Asian shows? And what of her ex the great Kulik? His school,closed. Where is he now? I wonder what of Joanie Rochette? Still skating in Canada SOI? And has Ashley stated her plans as yet? I wish there was a thread just called news announcements and retirements where all I need do was open the thread. Wish someone would do that. I wonder what Alissa Czisny does now? Married maybe? And wouldn’t it be great to see Sasha and Michelle do a show here and invite Yuna and a few other retirees. I hope all still skate. Michelle looked great on her Instagram and really she should do a show. Is Polina the American retired from skating?

It’s July so there should be news of new programs. I’m very interested in seeing what Borser will do with his new top lady and the showdown with the Eteri team this year. But there are truly some veterans like Katia that are so,special. She said people would remember Sergei as long as she skated and that was true. She skated a very long time. And I am glad. Other than Kurt Browning I can’t think of many skaters who were in as long and really held our attention like they did.

I hope Liza really gets a new look this year and hope she still really has the triple axel. What has happened to Anna P ? Is she done? Such short careers for Russian ladies no matter how good. I’m hoping Sotskova makes some changes this year as I really like her. And Polina T? What of her? I love the taller ladies. Thanks for any news updates on these skaters in advance.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I wonder what of Joanie Rochette? Still skating in Canada SOI?
Joannie's in medical school now. She hasn't done SOI of late, but she's scheduled to make a handful of guest appearances on the tour Virtue and Moir are organizing for this fall.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Oh wow, didn’t know she was so academic. I guess Canada wants to see the current great ladies like Osmond and the girl Orser trains who had that rough Olympics. She is a fighter tho I am sure she will be back given her new Russian training mate.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
There aren’t many times I can even recall GS these days as I struggle but I wonder about some skaters we don’t see any more and what they are up to. I was thrilled to read Dai would give it another shot. If only Yuna would skate again and Mao would return. ButbJapan has so much young talent that is not likely, still I miss her - a legend and an artist.

Has Katia G basically retired or is she still asked to Asian shows? And what of her ex the great Kulik? His school,closed. Where is he now? I wonder what of Joanie Rochette? Still skating in Canada SOI? And has Ashley stated her plans as yet? I wish there was a thread just called news announcements and retirements where all I need do was open the thread. Wish someone would do that. I wonder what Alissa Czisny does now? Married maybe? And wouldn’t it be great to see Sasha and Michelle do a show here and invite Yuna and a few other retirees. I hope all still skate. Michelle looked great on her Instagram and really she should do a show. Is Polina the American retired from skating?

It’s July so there should be news of new programs. I’m very interested in seeing what Borser will do with his new top lady and the showdown with the Eteri team this year. But there are truly some veterans like Katia that are so,special. She said people would remember Sergei as long as she skated and that was true. She skated a very long time. And I am glad. Other than Kurt Browning I can’t think of many skaters who were in as long and really held our attention like they did.

I hope Liza really gets a new look this year and hope she still really has the triple axel. What has happened to Anna P ? Is she done? Such short careers for Russian ladies no matter how good. I’m hoping Sotskova makes some changes this year as I really like her. And Polina T? What of her? I love the taller ladies. Thanks for any news updates on these skaters in advance.

Oh wow, didn’t know she was so academic. I guess Canada wants to see the current great ladies like Osmond and the girl Orser trains who had that rough Olympics. She is a fighter tho I am sure she will be back given her new Russian training mate.

Katia and Kulik both still skate in pro shows. Joannie still does skate but her main focus is med school. Alissa is coaching. Michelle Kwan just did SP choreography for Angela Wang.

I don't have much to say about the Russian ladies, but I'm sure there are many here that can tell you better what they are up to.

And uhm...the girl Orser trains?! You mean Gabby Daleman.

Alissa Czisny headlined a show in Boston last month (along with Sean Rabbitt) for the benefitt of Alzheimer's research.

Sarah Hughes recently received her law degree from Penn Law School. I think Emily Hughes still works for Google.

Michelle Kwan is doing interviews in connection with the 50th anniversary of the Special Olympics. She also contributed an essay to an forthcoming book on "What it means to be an American." In May she received a Distinguished Alumna award form Denver University.

Last edited:

skatenewbie

Medalist
Liza Tuk get a new program done and want to include (and still training) 3Lz+3T and 3A back in FS! She posted vids of her landing 3A but not 3Lz+3T. As for Anna P. she have regain all triples back, no 3-3 yet but already doing 1lo-3S combos. She hope to do few challenger since she got no GP

cinnamon

On the Ice
Thank you for this thread.

Anna is back according to International Figure Skating Club on FB:

Anna Pogorilaya told to RIA Novosti that she starts preparing for the season-2018/19. Anna plans to perform at the traditional autumn check skates of Russian national team.
"I have already started getting ready to the new season, but right now I am preparing to perform at a show in Japan, I work under the supervision of doctors.. I will have to train under their supervision till the end of my career in order not to allow critical cases. After autumn check skates I think to participate in some Challenger”.
According to Anna, programs for the new season have not been made yet, still she doesn’t know who will choreograph her programs, but Anna has got back her triple jumps, including lutz.

Credit: RIA Novosti, Anatoly Samokhvalov

Her recent performance in Kobe, Japan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Btm9DCMPAfI

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
What has happened to Anna P ? Is she done? Such short careers for Russian ladies no matter how good. I’m hoping Sotskova makes some changes this year as I really like her. And Polina T? What of her?

For myself I'll add Coomes/Buckland, Capellini/Lanotte, Stolbova/Klimov, Wang/Wang, Hochstein... I do not see them in the GP list and there's been no announcement, so I wonder what's going on with them: retired for good, injuries, other reasons...? I'd really like to know.
Liza and Polina OTOH should be fine as they're scheduled for GP.

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Laura graduated from a business school and has a marketing company specializing in sports, got married a couple years ago. I don't know if she still does commentary for Finnish TV but she did that some time ago. Is still somewhat involved in skating - does summer camps fir Finnish skaters.

E

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And has Ashley stated her plans as yet?

After dazzling in this year's SOI, Ashley is quoting poet Rupi Kaur on IG:

If you were born with the weakness to fall, you were born with the strength to rise. - @rupikaur. https://www.instagram.com/p/Bks1xnZAh2m/?hl=en&taken-by=ashwagner2010[/B]​

A few days ago, Ashley announced on IG that she's chosen not to compete on the GP circuit this year, after 11 seasons on it. She's taking a break for the season, and like many others doing the same (among them Shibsibs, Adam Rippon, Kaetlyn Osmond, Kaitlin Weaver/Andrew Poje, off the top of my head) ... she hasn't said she plans to retire.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bkk5YcDHGwz/?hl=en&taken-by=ashwagner2010

I hope we see her skating competitively again. I don't care where she places; I think we need to see skaters like Ashley in competitions. Perfectly imperfect, charismatic, musical, gorgeous ice presence, rising to the occasion, emotional resonance with audiences ... Ashley is just what figure skating needs.

Kypma

Final Flight
A few days ago, Ashley announced on IG that she's chosen not to compete on the GP circuit this year, after 11 seasons on it. She's taking a break for the season, and like many others doing the same (among them Shibsibs, Adam Rippon, Kaetlyn Osmond, Kaitlin Weaver/Andrew Poje, off the top of my head) ... she hasn't said she plans to retire.

Just a minor correction, I believe both Kaetlyn Osmond and Kaitlin Weaver/Andrew Poje have stated that they are skipping the Grand Prix season, but that they intend to be back for the second half of the season.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just a minor correction, I believe both Kaetlyn Osmond and Kaitlin Weaver/Andrew Poje have stated that they are skipping the Grand Prix season, but that they intend to be back for the second half of the season.

Thanks!

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I hope we see her skating competitively again. I don't care where she places; I think we need to see skaters like Ashley in competitions. Perfectly imperfect, charismatic, musical, gorgeous ice presence, rising to the occasion, emotional resonance with audiences ... Ashley is just what figure skating needs.

While I love seeing Ashley compete, and events are more entertaining when she participates, I think she does care about placements and earning assignments to the biggest events. Given that her legacy includes multiple national champs, world and (team) Olympic medals, it might be hard for Ashley to be motivated to train only to get GP assignments and maybe National medals. The season off will allow her to assess her form and see how she stacks up against the US field.

supersloane

Rinkside
And what of her ex the great Kulik? His school,closed. Where is he now?

The last show Ilia skated in was the annual Christmas on Ice last December (2017) after what was a massive year with nearly five months of performances with Ilia Averbukh's Romeo & Juliet in Sochi and Moscow last summer/autumn.

He keeps an exceptionally low profile but to the best of my knowledge, he's focused entirely on coaching his daughter.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
He keeps an exceptionally low profile but to the best of my knowledge, he's focused entirely on coaching his daughter.

Does anyone have an update/information on Elizaveta Kulik ??

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
While I love seeing Ashley compete, and events are more entertaining when she participates, I think she does care about placements and earning assignments to the biggest events. Given that her legacy includes multiple national champs, world and (team) Olympic medals, it might be hard for Ashley to be motivated to train only to get GP assignments and maybe National medals.

Very well said. I agree with the above. That's one reason I think she needs extra time to re-evaluate. As she said in the IG, her "passion for the sport burns very bright."

The season off will allow her to assess her form and see how she stacks up against the US field.

She received so much affirmation and re-dedication to her skating performances in April and May. Who knows whether she'll transform her motivation a la Carolina Kostner, who has said she returned to competition to improve her artistry and to skate for herself ... after, earlier in Kostner's own career, apparently her own focus had been somewhat different. I am only speculating, with assistance from what Ashley and Carolina have said publicly; but can't say for sure everything that's in either skater's mind.

Whatever Ashley decides, I wish her all the best.