Why are the US Ladies not retiring? | Golden Skate

Why are the US Ladies not retiring?

fredtx121

On the Ice
I’m very surprised we haven’t heard many US Ladies announcing their retirements recently. Yes we have heard of taking a break or not doing the Grand Prix competitions but why are so many US Ladies skaters not going for retirement. My guess is because there’s nothing else for them and skating is all they know. During the 80s and 90s Skaters used to look forward to professional competitions but as we all know they do not exist anymore.
I think at last years nationals USFSA was giving a hint to these ladies such as Ashley Wagner that her time was up. I’m surprised Mirai is still thinking of competing. Her lack of motivation after winning bronze in the team event showed for the individual competition and the worlds. Gracie Gold I feel her time is up as well and should focus on just getting healthy and maybe become a coach or a speaker against eating disorders in sports.
I know some will say they still have a drive to compete, but if you can’t win medals you are taking up spots where other younger skaters can get their time in the spot light

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Gracie Gold I feel her time is up as well and should focus on just getting healthy and maybe become a coach or a speaker against eating disorders in sports.
Gracie’s time in competition was cut off because of health problems. Hardly surprising that she’d like to end things on a more positive note.

I know some will say they still have a drive to compete, but if you can’t win medals you are taking up spots where other younger skaters can get their time in the spot light
If those younger skaters are better than the veterans, then they can get their time in the spotlight by making the 4CC/Worlds team at nationals, same as everybody else does.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker

When the younger skaters beat the older skaters, they'll be in the spotlight.

frida80

Record Breaker
I’m very surprised we haven’t heard many US Ladies announcing their retirements recently. Yes we have heard of taking a break or not doing the Grand Prix competitions but why are so many US Ladies skaters not going for retirement. My guess is because there’s nothing else for them and skating is all they know. During the 80s and 90s Skaters used to look forward to professional competitions but as we all know they do not exist anymore.
I think at last years nationals USFSA was giving a hint to these ladies such as Ashley Wagner that her time was up. I’m surprised Mirai is still thinking of competing. Her lack of motivation after winning bronze in the team event showed for the individual competition and the worlds. Gracie Gold I feel her time is up as well and should focus on just getting healthy and maybe become a coach or a speaker against eating disorders in sports.

Ok... I’ll bite

Four years ago, people were clammering for both Ashley and Mirai to retire. At the time it looked like we had so many talented upcoming skaters. Polina, Amber Glenn, Angela, Karen Chen, Tyler, and Gracie just to name a few. Mirai was considered finished and Ashley was considered inferior to Gracie. But they both stuck with it and fought hard to achieve more success.

The process of retiring is difficult for any athlete. Sasha, Michelle, Rachel, and other skaters have described how overwhelming it feels when you finally realize it’s over. It’s hard to go from spending all your days at the rink training, at the gym, and competing all year to doing nothing. It’s why so many skaters eventually come back to give it another try. For instance, Patrick, Mao, and Tessa and Scott came back. And Carolina chose to return and compete as well. Sometimes you have success and sometimes you just need it to see that it’s time to leave.

I disagree that they are taking up spots. In order to have strong competitors in an sport, they need to compete to be the best. Having a weak nationals when skaters win by default in a weak field will always lead to weak competitors. I’d rather have a competition like Russian Juniors where even the 12th place finisher could win on any day. Because it pushes all the competitors to always be at their best. If new he skaters can’t defeat Ashley or Mirai, it’s because they need to work harder and be better. They need to earn that spot.

What you are advising is what was done during the 2007-2011 period. A different national champion every year who couldn’t handle the pressure on the world stage. USFS then switched their attention to the next phenom that rose, and they fizzled just as fast as the next. I think it should be transitional. With younger skaters beating the former champs consistently, proving they are ready to take the mantle.

So I’m all for letting Gracie, Mirai, and Ashley compete longer. They’re not hurting anyone by doing so.

glassanimal

On the Ice
but if you can’t win medals you are taking up spots where other younger skaters can get their time in the spot light

Competition isn't a charity. If the younger ones can beat them consistently, then they'll get their chance. If they can't, well, then they're not good enough. Simple as that.

I think that U.S. skaters take the position, "No need to make a dramatic announcement. Let's just wait and see what happens down the road. Maybe I'll want to return to competition some day, maybe not."

For top skaters there is also the issue of sponsorships. Once-famous skaters who have commercial endorsements are in a better position if there is at least a possibility that there is more yet to come. Davis and White are a good example. Did they ever actually declare that they were retired? Did Michelle Kwan?

Mirai may not complete again, but she doesn't want to close any doors on other opportunities that may come her way.

SamuraiKike

Medalist
This is obviously a trollish thread.. Im just here to enjoy the replies of the ones who bite :popcorn:

Amei

Record Breaker
Why should they retire so that the 'younger' generation can get their spots - the younger generation can skate well at nationals and earn spots for Worlds and 4cc. Its not like any of the juniors have showed on the international level that they are competitive where if the Jrs start skating in the Grand Prix that all of a sudden the US would be winning medals, look at the Junior Grand Prix for the last 2 years, 17-18 season there was 1 medal a bronze and the season prior 16-17 there were none. So as long as they are willing to go to compete, why shouldn't they?

narcissa

Record Breaker
When the younger skaters beat the older skaters, they'll be in the spotlight.

Yeah, it's not like the USFS isn't quick to award younger skaters as if their lives depended on it -- see Karen Chen, 2015, 2017 and 2018, Polina Edmunds, 2014, Vincent Zhou, 2018. ISU, too: see Alina Zagitova, 2018, Evgenia Medvedeva, 2016-2017, Adelina Sotnikova, 2014, and even Mao and Yuna when they debuted.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I’m very surprised we haven’t heard many US Ladies announcing their retirements recently.

Maybe they look at the US ladies' field and feel that they still have a valuable contribution to make. To take your 3 examples, Mirai accomplished the very ambitious goal she set her focus on: landing a triple axel at the Olympics, doing it at an age when it's difficult to up your skating difficulty and technique. Considering that, she'd be well justified in believing that if there's something else she feels she has to give in skating, something she hasn't yet given, then she can do it if she has the motivation. Gracie left in the middle, interrupted by health and other issues; perhaps she wants to go for a world medal (at least) and feels in other ways she wants to fulfill her desire and her talent for skating. Ashley has everything figure skating needs: star performance quality, charisma, musical and dramatic artistry, emotional connection with audiences. In different ways, all three skate as women, in a time when 15 year old jumping beans are more rewarded. Competitive figure skating is made deeper, richer, more meaningful because of their presence and participation.

I just watched TSL's video where they judged the 1994 Olympic top ladies' programs. What really stuck out for me is that Katarina Witt skated two absolutely gorgeous programs that were perfect demonstrations of what love for figure skating is all about. She knew she wasn't competitive for a medal, according to Sandra Bezic. But if you watch the top ten ladies, she brought something so unique and important value. IMO, she brought something different from her 1984 and 88 wins ... and something better.

if you can’t win medals you are taking up spots where other younger skaters can get their time in the spot light

And if you CAN win two Olympic gold medals, aren't you also taking up spots where other younger skaters can get their time in the spotlight? Your question (or accusation) focuses on US ladies, but they are far from the only ones staying. For Russian women, there's Liza Tuk and Elena Radionova. Carolina Kostner of Italy is also competing again this year. I won't go on to dance, pairs, and men.

Artemisa

Final Flight
I think ... they don't retire because there isn't any alternative or blood competition in the USA if you compare to russian ladies ... Mirai have 3A, Ashey Wagner very good PCs and is one of the best in the music choices ( except when repeting programs) ...who is the next generation in USA ... Bradie Tennel is 20 ... so if we compare with russian ladies ... is old ...
The other reason I think is that who pays for everything in the USA ladies are the parents ... they invest everything ... so is a hard investment for only one or two years in the seniors

And at least I don't think they are old or should retire .... Kaetlyn Osmond has 22 ... and wouldn't like to see her retire .... I would like not to see many "retires" in the russian ladies

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Younger skaters will be rewarded when younger skaters deserve it.

Younger skaters being overscored for jumpfests just because they're the "future":disapp: Nope, don't see the point. I'm more interested in the "here and now":biggrin:

That said, this pushing off and pushing off retirement decisions, including, well, I'll just skip the GP and see what happens at Nats, really wonders me. I know their identity is skating, I know their whole life is on the rink, I get that skating is the very core of their being.

But there comes a time in life when you make a decision, rip the flipping band-aid off, and get on with it. The skaters who say, "that's it for the ice, life happens, time for Act 2", have my undying respect:rock:

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Well, Alysa Liu will only be senior eligible in 21-22. Until then, there really aren't any young ones who would be able to surpass and replace them. Bradie for instance isn't exactly a young skater - Gold is barely older than her. Ting Cui's a significant talent, but her last season was a disaster and she seems to be struggling with her coaching situation. At this point in time, the door's still wide open for these senior skaters to make an impact. It's up to the young skaters to step up and challenge them.

I also am not sure what happened to some other young US talents. Vivian Le for instance I quite liked, but then she just completely disappeared.

If I'll try to analyze the situation a little further, I'd say that a major reason for struggle for most of these younger US ladies is their lack of rotation speed. Almost all of them have UR issues of some sort. I hope that they concentrate on this in the future, there's a lot of talent wasted.

glassanimal

On the Ice
I think ... they don't retire because there isn't any alternative or blood competition in the USA if you compare to russian ladies ... Mirai have 3A, Ashey Wagner very good PCs and is one of the best in the music choices ( except when repeting programs) ...who is the next generation in USA ... Bradie Tennel is 20 ... so if we compare with russian ladies ... is old ...
The other reason I think is that who pays for everything in the USA ladies are the parents ... they invest everything ... so is a hard investment for only one or two years in the seniors

And at least I don't think they are old or should retire .... Kaetlyn Osmond has 22 ... and wouldn't like to see her retire .... I would like not to see many "retires" in the russian ladies

FS is strange sometimes. You don't really hear talk like this in other individual sports like tennis, golf, or snowboarding. Athletes push until they feel they've either maxed out their true potential, or they are simply done with the sport and desire a change. Sports legends are made by those who fight as long as they can. Someone like Hanyu, for example, is fighting to be a legend.

Figure 8's

On the Ice
The only time I would have a problem with skaters not announcing retirements but not competing is if they are getting funds from the Figure Skating associations. I think those funds should be used for the Figure Skaters who are actively competing. But seriously, does anyone believe that Mirai and Ashley at 26 and 27 are going to be able to come back and be competitive? Skaters who take time out rarely are able to come back like before. I can only think of a handful but they were still actively training.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Same reason Carolina Kostner doesn't retire: when some younger Italian lady skater comes along and knocks Carolina off her National podium and can better her placements internationally, Carolina will retire......

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Younger skaters will be rewarded when younger skaters deserve it.

Younger skaters being overscored for jumpfests just because they're the "future":disapp: Nope, don't see the point. I'm more interested in the "here and now":biggrin:

That said, this pushing off and pushing off retirement decisions, including, well, I'll just skip the GP and see what happens at Nats, really wonders me. I know their identity is skating, I know their whole life is on the rink, I get that skating is the very core of their being.

But there comes a time in life when you make a decision, rip the flipping band-aid off, and get on with it. The skaters who say, "that's it for the ice, life happens, time for Act 2", have my undying respect:rock:

With all due respect, el, I think it’s probably difficult to make that decision when you’re still very young, haven’t experienced much else in life, and have spent your whole life in single minded pursuit of an all consuming goal. Not saying it can’t or shouldn’t be done, just that it may take these athletes longer than might appear necessary to an outsider. Max is one of the few skaters I’ve heard of who actually planned ahead.