Future of FS competitions? | Golden Skate

Future of FS competitions?

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I saw this on Facebook, I don't like it! Figure skating like gymnastics is a special sport in that includes both artistic and athletic elements, to have one without the other just wouldn't be the same!

If they do this they'd have to go back to having three parts of the competition again, artistic, athletic and a program that mixes both - but the ISU ain't gonna go for that.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
I saw this on Facebook, I don't like it! Figure skating like gymnastics is a special sport in that includes both artistic and athletic elements, to have one without the other just wouldn't be the same!

Precisely! The beauty of figure skating is the ability to balance both!

Ulrica

On the Ice
They would be risking loosing a lot of fans and potential fans by doing this.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
2022 is four years from now. There's time to debate the concept. I don't think it's a bad thing to explore different ways to evaluate skaters. My personal viewpoint at the moment is to add an artistic program as a separate event rather than supersede the existing structure.

I like that Broadmoor had the traditional competition structure, the Peggy Fleming trophy (artistic) and the Aerial Challenge (technical). I think that's actually a pretty good approach.

Last edited:
My personal viewpoint at the moment is to add an artistic program as a separate event rather than supersede the existing structure.

I would love to see this as "Ice Dance". But mostly I would still like them to fix the judging to encourage creativity. If they did that, then the jumps can be used as an additional dimension to creativity, and that would supersede singles Ice Dance, for me.

Henni147

Final Flight
They would be risking loosing a lot of fans and potential fans by doing this.
Same thought.

Sidenote #1: Perfect technique is a form of artistry, they belong together. Mother Nature came up with the brilliant idea to combine functionality and beauty. They don't contradict each other.

Sidenote #2: Separation won't solve the problem with biased judging in the artistic program :palmf:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I would love to see this as "Ice Dance". But mostly I would still like them to fix the judging to encourage creativity. If they did that, then the jumps can be used as an additional dimension to creativity, and that would supersede singles Ice Dance, for me.

In the U.S. there is solo ice dance. I think though the difference would be that you'd still have some jumps in it.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The way competitions are judged has changed several times in the past, so I don’t think it’s a problem to explore different avenues, particularly since there’s a constant search for equilibrium in art and athleticism. Though about this proposal, I’d make three observations:

1. The current two-part competition format is the product of a somewhat haphazard evolution where they originally were meant to be very different — with the short being a list of required elements and the free skate being, well, free — but as we all know, the free skate has become, via the slow accretion of rules and then the introduction of the ISU Judging System, just as regimented as the short program. I don’t think it’s out of bounds to explore whether the two programs should serve more distinct functions beyond length.

2. After Salt Lake City, the drive to create the current judging system was driven by a desire to quantify judging to a greater extent. It seems like an “artistic” program would inevitably be a step away from this. Not saying that makes it bad, but it would be a shift.

3. I think this format could lead to some interesting stuff on the artistic side, but what would the “technical” programs look like? Are we talking about just doing jumps, spins, etc. without much concern for the more artistic elements? It seems like that portion of the competition would be less interesting to watch.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Lol...they couldn’t even make the change away from CD’s to USB Sticks.

This competition format could make for an interesting TV show but that’s about it IMO. Of course...they’d have to decide to broadcast this one. Let’s start there :laugh:

Shayuki

Record Breaker
So the problem is, I don't see the appeal in an artistic program with nothing technical - Wouldn't it be better to just watch dance or something? And I also wouldn't be interested at all in watching technical programs with no artistry. What's interesting is the combination and how the skater's able to balance their concentration and focus between the two. Of course, tech content is easier to perform when you don't need to focus on anything else and it's easier to be artistic when you don't ever need to focus or concentrate on anything else.

My prediction is that the rantings would plummet even further, enormously. And it'd be a great shame because currently, while figure skating is quite niche and has low ratings, it still enjoys pretty special privilege with its winter olympic status and I think that that'd become seriously threatened if they were to do something this stupid.

Ducky

On the Ice
https://twitter.com/ifsmagazine/status/1015057096998518785?s=09

ISU is considering changing the structure of figure skating competitions after the 2022 OWG.

The article is not about that but about a new event Broadmoor and only mentions that the ISU is only considering changing the structure of competitions after 2022 but nothing definite yet. It also states that the proposed artistic program would still have to have technical elements because it's an Olympic sport.

I feel that doing something like this might bring more people into watching figure skating. Most of my non-skating friends were annoyed while watching the Olympics because the skaters they thought were better because they didn't fall (and yes, I know they weren't doing quads) were scored lower than the ones who did. You shouldn't need to have a figure skater at the bar explaining the scoring system or why a failed quad is worth more than a perfectly executed triple in order to understand and not be annoyed at the rankings. From what I've seen from many casual viewers this would be a welcome change.

saphire

On the Ice
I am not in favor of it. If they want to turn it into gymnastics then I will just stop watching again.

andromache

Record Breaker
I am in favor of doing SOMETHING to further differentiate the short and long programs (as was originally intended). Right now, the short program is just shorter than and has fewer required elements than the long program. But they evaluate all of the same basic skills and types of elements.

I would maybe like to see the SP stay as-is, but maybe the LP give looser requirements in terms of footwork and spins - maybe no BV or levels on those, just evaluate them in terms of aesthetics and musicality. Not all level 4 spins and footwork are very good! Give us some Alexei Yagudin footwork realness.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
In the U.S. there is solo ice dance. I think though the difference would be that you'd still have some jumps in it.

Not just in the US. There are also Solo Dance competitions in the UK (mainly because there aren't enough boys in Ice Dance to go provide partners for all the girls).

This is a bit off topic, but I remember having a discussion last season about alternative ways that the IOC could have used the time that was freed up by getting rid of the Compulsory Dance. And myself and another member agreed that Solo Dance would have been a better option to the Olympic Team Event.

Unfortunately, I can't find the conversation again at the moment.

CaroLiza_fan

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
So the problem is, I don't see the appeal in an artistic program with nothing technical - Wouldn't it be better to just watch dance or something?
The competition discussed in that article does have technical elements.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Honestly I’m sick and tired of people trying to change the sport all the time.

If people think it’s a good idea that will attract new fans and interest from current athletes then create a new discipline or TV show and watch people flock to it. It’s so annoying seeing people train for many years to master the art form we have today and then people want to go and change that format. Something this drastic is #Ridic