Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 21 of 21

Thread: Choosing figure skates

  1. #16
    Dreaming is believing... Ic3Rabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    4,071
    Country: United States of America

    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamamiia View Post
    Sorry I am not able to help but I have another skates related question that seems to fit this thread. I am thinking about getting a new pair of skates and my first choice would be Jackson because that's what Nathan wears. However, Rediell seems to be the most popular brand in my local rink and the coach I consulted with preferred Rediell to Jackson. I haven't seen much mentioning of Rediell in this forum, or know any athlete wearing them. How is this brand?
    Hi Mama! You need to choose a skate that fits you personally. I know you'd like to skate in whatever Nathan does, but it may not fit your foot, and for that matter a Riedell may not either. What is your level? Your best bet is to get a fitter and go from there based on the tracing and measurements of your foot and needs for level of skating.

    I skate in a custom Jackson that is around the stiffness of the Elite with a Pattern 99 blade.

    I used to skate in Risports too. Grafs and Riedells long ago when I first started out. I hate Edea's, they just don't work for me.

    Go see a fitter (not just any pro shop person ok?) and see what they say on the advice I gave up in the first paragraph. If you have any other questions, since you know me here, feel free to ask any questions you have and you are welcome to come to my inbox too.

    Good luck!

  2. #17
    Tripping on the Podium Mamamiia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    638

    1 Not allowed!
    Thank you all for answering my question! I understand eventually I need to pick the skates that I feel comfortable in but it's nice to hear some professional advices. Sorry for hijacking the thread here. One last silly question, what socks should I wear for skating? I saw girls in the rink wearing very thin nylon socks like this https://figureskatingstore.com/mondo...ack-or-suntan/, but again, Nathan said he always prefer very thick socks. Is it just a matter of personal preference too? Does the material and thickness matter?

    @Ic3Rabbit you can tell from my questions I am a very beginner but I always enjoyed skating around and perhaps now it's time to take some adult "learn to skate".

  3. #18
    Dreaming is believing... Ic3Rabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    4,071
    Country: United States of America

    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamamiia View Post
    Thank you all for answering my question! I understand eventually I need to pick the skates that I feel comfortable in but it's nice to hear some professional advices. Sorry for hijacking the thread here. One last silly question, what socks should I wear for skating? I saw girls in the rink wearing very thin nylon socks like this https://figureskatingstore.com/mondo...ack-or-suntan/, but again, Nathan said he always prefer very thick socks. Is it just a matter of personal preference too? Does the material and thickness matter?

    @Ic3Rabbit you can tell from my questions I am a very beginner but I always enjoyed skating around and perhaps now it's time to take some adult "learn to skate".
    I always wear thinner socks in my boots, with my bunga pads and my tights that come down to that point. I usually though, wear footed tights.

    Yes, the material should be breathable.

    You should be able to be fitted for a beginner boot/blade combo no problem at your level, then if and when the time comes that you start to jump (if you want to do that) or more advanced things then you could look at different more advanced (stiffer) boots and then buy blades separate, depending.

    Good luck! Again, my inbox is open if you need anything!

  4. #19
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    322
    Country: United States of America

    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DanseMacabre View Post
    And I was just pointing out that telling them to disregard the recommendation entirely was perhaps making things less clear for the OP since we specified boots built on the Elite last like the Premiere and the Debut, not the Elite boot itself.
    Absolutely agree.

    To SarahJoy:

    You're probably confused by some of these discussions about Jacksons. Since I was the one who first responded, let me try to clarify.

    (1) "Elite" refers to a specific model of Jackson boot. It is a stiff, advanced freestyle boot, not suitable for beginners. "Elite last" refers to one specific last (essentially referring to the foot shape) that Jackson uses. Jackson uses more than one last in its line. Of specific relevance to you, as I mentioned in my first post, the boots formed on the Elite last come stock in split width, with the ball width one size larger than the heel width; hence, a good combo for skaters with wider balls/narrower heels. To emphasize key points: (a) Not all Jackson models are formed on the Elite last, and (b) More than one Jackson model is formed on the Elite last (that is, the Elite last is not restricted to the Elite model boot only); some Jackson models formed on the Elite last are suitable for beginners. If you look up specific models on the Jackson website, models formed on the Elite last are so designated.

    (2) The initial posts discussing Jacksons (starting with mine) recommended boots "formed on the Elite last". That recommendation should stand (for reasons discussed above). No one recommended the specific Elite model boot; hence, no recommendation there to disregard (but, in case someone should recommend it, then it's too stiff for a beginner).

    (3) Be warned that Jackson has been revamping its line over the last couple of years (including through this year). Different vintage boots with nominally the same model names may have been built on different lasts. I mention this because some of the previous vintage boots (especially those just recently discontinued) are still available. For example, on the lower end, the previous vintage Elle and Freestyle were not formed on the Elite last, but the new Elle Fusion and Freestyle Fusion are; these are sold only as complete kits, pre-mounted with Ultima blades (which may or may not be suitable for you). The lowest model boot formed on the Elite last currently sold as a boot only (no blade) is the new Debut Fusion. Note that the original, short-lived, Debut was not formed on the Elite last. So, when shopping around, verify both the model and the vintage.

    Hope this clarifies, rather than further confuses.

  5. #20
    Dreaming is believing... Ic3Rabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    4,071
    Country: United States of America

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DanseMacabre View Post
    And I was just pointing out that telling them to disregard the recommendation entirely was perhaps making things less clear for the OP since we specified boots built on the Elite last like the Premiere and the Debut, not the Elite boot itself.
    And you totally missed my point telling the OP that the boot was not the actual ELITE model you find with Jackson, I did not disregard the ones built on it. Because a newbie to skating can easily make that mistake. Moving along...

  6. #21
    Bona Fide Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    5,889

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamamiia View Post
    Sorry I am not able to help but I have another skates related question that seems to fit this thread. I am thinking about getting a new pair of skates and my first choice would be Jackson because that's what Nathan wears. However, Rediell seems to be the most popular brand in my local rink and the coach I consulted with preferred Rediell to Jackson. I haven't seen much mentioning of Rediell in this forum, or know any athlete wearing them. How is this brand?
    haha, @Mamamiia, what's up, I was just like you, my first pair skates is EDEA because that is what Yuzuru Hanyu and Patrick Chan wear, both are my idols at the time. then I got Jackson because that is what Nathan wears . I kinda wanna try out Rediell in the future, because I found out Vincent wears Rediell.
    probably not proper advise at all, just wanna share similar way of thinking.
    as for fitting, I personally did not find too big a difference between EDEA and Jackson.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •