Tips on breaking in Edea skates | Golden Skate

Tips on breaking in Edea skates

Rozeamide

Rinkside
My first skates are the Edea overture and have only skated once in and I want to be able to know tips on breaking them in since this are my first skates. Thank you for helping!

I just got my first pair of skates recently as well and they are Edea Motivos. Mine are a bit softer than the Overtures, but honestly mine had nearly 0 break-in period. I didn't do anything but skate in them, and after a week or two (with me skating 4-5 hours a week) they were perfect. I'm a beginner, so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but I'd say just keep skating in them, personally.

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
My first skates are the Edea overture and have only skated once in and I want to be able to know tips on breaking them in since this are my first skates. Thank you for helping!

The thing about Edeas is that they don't have the same break-in time as traditional boots. The best thing to do is simply skate in them (nothing fancy) for a bit. The other thing about Edeas is that it's important to lace them a certain way so they mold to your foot properly and hold your foot in place while you're skating. The company put out a video that explains it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMd3EpUSFcY

sk8chis

On the Ice
I have the ice flys but i had to keep getting off the ice every 15-30 minutes because my feet kept going numb. I’m not sure if it’s the same with the overtures but i liked wearing my Edeas in the house when I first got them. I would wear them until my feet felt a little numb and then I would untie them, let my feet rest for a handful of minutes and then put them back on. Each time I did this I used it as a lacing practice for learning how to correctly tie the Edea way and/or modifying a little bit to what felt better. I don’t know if it helped or not but after my second session of skating, the numbness was barely there.
Basic edge work when skating is also good for any break in period regardless of skate model. Make sure to do those practice with any deep edges. :) Hope this helps!

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
I have the ice flys but i had to keep getting off the ice every 15-30 minutes because my feet kept going numb. I’m not sure if it’s the same with the overtures but i liked wearing my Edeas in the house when I first got them. I would wear them until my feet felt a little numb and then I would untie them, let my feet rest for a handful of minutes and then put them back on. Each time I did this I used it as a lacing practice for learning how to correctly tie the Edea way and/or modifying a little bit to what felt better. I don’t know if it helped or not but after my second session of skating, the numbness was barely there.
Basic edge work when skating is also good for any break in period regardless of skate model. Make sure to do those practice with any deep edges. :) Hope this helps!

When I first switched to Edeas my feet kept going numb because I was lacing them the way I used to lace my old Riedells and Jacksons, which was much tighter than the Edeas needed to be. It took me a while to figure out how to lace them the best way for both the boots and my feet.

sk8chis

On the Ice
When I first switched to Edeas my feet kept going numb because I was lacing them the way I used to lace my old Riedells and Jacksons, which was much tighter than the Edeas needed to be. It took me a while to figure out how to lace them the best way for both the boots and my feet.

That’s so funny because i had old Riedell’s too! I had to ask around for people to show me how they lace their Edeas. It took me a while too

Rozeamide

Rinkside
Thanks for all the replies!! I find that my feet get numb too after a while but maybe it’s because I was not tying it corrrectly. I’m having a hard time with being able to tie it properly,it’s kinda tricky.

figureskaterdude

Rinkside
Thanks for all the replies!! I find that my feet get numb too after a while but maybe it’s because I was not tying it corrrectly. I’m having a hard time with being able to tie it properly,it’s kinda tricky.

Here is a video with Max Aaron explaining how he ties his skates. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQfNB_2ZI0c

This is basically how I tie mine and it works out pretty well for me. I only put any real muscle into tightening the laces on the last 2-3 before the ankle.

If I tighten the laces closer to my toes then my feet will go numb and hurt even with boots that are months old.

Rozeamide

Rinkside
Here is a video with Max Aaron explaining how he ties his skates. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQfNB_2ZI0c

This is basically how I tie mine and it works out pretty well for me. I only put any real muscle into tightening the laces on the last 2-3 before the ankle.

If I tighten the laces closer to my toes then my feet will go numb and hurt even with boots that are months old.

Thank you! I wonder is it normal at first to have really short laces at the end to tie a bow when tying new skates?

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Thank you! I wonder is it normal at first to have really short laces at the end to tie a bow when tying new skates?

It may simply be the case that the wrong length laces were packed with your boots. I've often seen it the other way though: laces that are too long. Regardless, rather than fret over them, just buy longer laces (or ask your tech whether he'll swap them for free, if they are the wrong length). The proper length also depends on your preference of lacing pattern.

jf12

Final Flight

How short are they? My Jackson laces that came with the boot were so long I had to tuck them into the laces. Probably 3 inches of bow on either side of the knot. My edea laces are much shorter even after breaking in- around 1.5 inches of bow on each side, much better.

figureskaterdude

Rinkside

It may be normal, depending on if the laces are the correct size.

I buy the edea laces that are made for 265-290 boot sizes, but I wear a 285. So right off the start I will have shorter laces than someone in say a 260 boot. If you are wearing a boot in the high end of the lace range, then they could seem a bit short.

The laces will start to stretch and lengthen noticeably the more you skate on them. If they seem a little short, but you can still tie them properly, give them a few skate sessions and they should stretch out a bit so you have more lace to work with.

Rozeamide

Rinkside
How short are they? My Jackson laces that came with the boot were so long I had to tuck them into the laces. Probably 3 inches of bow on either side of the knot. My edea laces are much shorter even after breaking in- around 1.5 inches of bow on each side, much better.
They are pretty short but enough to make a little bow but it could be because I haven’t really skated much in them.

- - - Updated - - -

It may be normal, depending on if the laces are the correct size.

I buy the edea laces that are made for 265-290 boot sizes, but I wear a 285. So right off the start I will have shorter laces than someone in say a 260 boot. If you are wearing a boot in the high end of the lace range, then they could seem a bit short.

The laces will start to stretch and lengthen noticeably the more you skate on them. If they seem a little short, but you can still tie them properly, give them a few skate sessions and they should stretch out a bit so you have more lace to work with.
I see. It really may be just that I need to skate in them more.

davincisoprano

Rinkside
FWIW: I skate in Edeas, there's a short break in time, but not in the traditional sense. If the boot is too narrow, it will need to be molded to fit your foot. That said, the "break in" for me (the point where the boot went from slightly too snug to the interior padding conforming to my feet) was about 4 hours of skating.

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
I have another question is it okay to walk in the Edea skates at home to break them in?

While you can practice lacing at home to get used to it, it's not a good idea to try to break in a figure skating boot by walking. The motion of walking heel to toe is extremely different from the motion generated by skating/stroking so you would be breaking in the boot in the wrong places. The best thing you can do is skate in them. My Edeas only took a few hours to feel fully conformed to my feet so they "break in" much faster than a traditional boot.

Rozeamide

Rinkside
While you can practice lacing at home to get used to it, it's not a good idea to try to break in a figure skating boot by walking. The motion of walking heel to toe is extremely different from the motion generated by skating/stroking so you would be breaking in the boot in the wrong places. The best thing you can do is skate in them. My Edeas only took a few hours to feel fully conformed to my feet so they "break in" much faster than a traditional boot.
I see. But is it okay to lace them and wear the skates at home but not walk in them and just weat them?