Stock SP-Teri, Harlick, Avanta over Jackson? | Golden Skate

Stock SP-Teri, Harlick, Avanta over Jackson?

Sibelius

On the Ice
Hi All,

What do the stock offerings from the niche boot makers offer over Jackson? My skater is currently in a Jackson Debut Fusion Standard, which fit her perfectly from the start. Her skating friend, also in Jacksons, just landed her Axel. That skater's coach told her it was time to go up to the factory and get fitted for Sp-Teri's (what the coach wears). This girl was told to go from a stock Elle/Mirage into an Sp-Teri with Pattern 99's. I'm confused as to why such a drastic move. Is there some real advantage boots from those companies offer over Jacksons when moving on to doubles, assuming equivalent fit?

It's not all just idle curiosity, my skater's toes are curled so this weekend we get them stretched and start considering what's next, Debut Firm, Premiere, Sp-Teri, Harlick, Avanta (all 3 local to us). We are getting to the point where the cost difference between stock boots isn't that much, Jackson Premiere is about $400, stock Sp-Teri is about $500+. Her coaches have told us get what works for her (one wears SPT, other old Klingbeils) and have never pushed a particular boot/blade. We've got a great fitter who sells mostly Jackson and has worked with us to get a perfect fit every time, which has been a real advantage for us. I'm inclined to just move up the Jackson line, but if there's a real advantage let me know!

Incidentally, I've yet to see her friend on the ice in her new skates. Mom spent $1100 on Zero Gravities and MK Gold Stars (instead of P99's). Saturday she was still wearing the Elle's and left the SPT's at home. We'll see if she's in them tonight.

treesprite

Final Flight
You need to pick the brand based on the fit. Don't ever pick a brand just because the coach prefers it for her or his foot shape. I am way happier with Jackson's than I was with the SP Teris I used to have (but preferred the SP Teris over Reidell). Go with the fitter's recommendation, then if you end up with not SP Teris, tell the coach the fitter said the other brand is better match for your daughter's foot shape.

JSM

On the Ice
I like your daughter's coaches' approach. No one boot fits every foot. You'll find elite skaters in nearly every brand, though there are trends over time.

I'm not knocking SP-Teri (I've worn them since about 1991), but there's nothing super special about them compared to other brands, except they fit me the best.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Just be thankful your daughter has the coaches she has, instead of the "other" coach.

You could ask the coaches for a list of suitable boots in various brands, so you know that you're looking at comparable (and suitable) skates. Then go with what fits best. And if you start with Jacksons and they have a good-fitting suitable skate, you can stop looking.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
You need to pick the brand based on the fit. Don't ever pick a brand just because the coach prefers it for her or his foot shape. I am way happier with Jackson's than I was with the SP Teris I used to have (but preferred the SP Teris over Reidell). Go with the fitter's recommendation, then if you end up with not SP Teris, tell the coach the fitter said the other brand is better match for your daughter's foot shape.

I second this! :agree:

Sibelius

On the Ice
Update,

Saw her last night in the new skates, very nice looking. Still don't think I would spend that $$ at this stage, but I have an idea about why her coach recommended them. I'm going to ask (she's a really nice woman who I like very much, filled in with mine a few months ago) when I see her about it.

Here's my theory: Coach knows mother (who I spend quite a bit of time with at the rink)) is not all that up on what skater should be wearing for her level, really over her head/just not interested, waited way too long to get her into something more suitable. Coach takes landing the Axel the opportunity to suggest to go where she knows she'll get taken care of for a good while. Me on the other hand, I spend time here, elsewhere, getting advice from our fitter, other coaches and put it all together to get what I think will work. As much as I respect our fitter (who fitted other skater in the past) she's a personality challenge and other skater's mom just wasn't up to it. Said dealing with George was a much easier experience. Sometimes you pay extra for ease I suppose. I don't have that luxury!

So, I'll continue what I'm doing and when we cross the Jackson Elite $$$ threshold we'll take a look elsewhere for comparison, meanwhile as long as stock Jackson does the job so be it. Blades on the other hand...when do you move to a more advanced blade from an intermediate Coro Ace/MK Pro level?

p.s. skater girl seems to be adjusting pretty well, lost her Axel in the new boots/blades, spins are shaky, but I'm sure she'll adjust in time.

Nimyue

On the Ice
I just wanted to mention that if she's been in the Debut Fusion, the Harlicks and SP Teri's might feel very heavy to her. Many of the skaters at my rink have switched to Edeas or new Jacksons have noticed a drastic difference in weight. If Jackson's last fits your skaters foot best, there's no reason to go to another brand. If there is fit issues in the shape of the Jacksons, then looking at other brands can be worthwhile.

macy

Record Breaker
I just wanted to mention that if she's been in the Debut Fusion, the Harlicks and SP Teri's might feel very heavy to her. Many of the skaters at my rink have switched to Edeas or new Jacksons have noticed a drastic difference in weight. If Jackson's last fits your skaters foot best, there's no reason to go to another brand. If there is fit issues in the shape of the Jacksons, then looking at other brands can be worthwhile.

i second this. never worn jacksons but i was in harlicks for many years back in the day (also in the wrong size boot without knowing) and switched to klingbeils. i couldn't believe the weight difference between the two, klingbeils felt like i was wearing clouds on my feet. also if your skater has flatter feet i would probably stay away from harlicks. i had a lot of foot pain as the sole is made for higher arches.

SmallAminal

On the Ice
i second this. never worn jacksons but i was in harlicks for many years back in the day (also in the wrong size boot without knowing) and switched to klingbeils. i couldn't believe the weight difference between the two, klingbeils felt like i was wearing clouds on my feet. also if your skater has flatter feet i would probably stay away from harlicks. i had a lot of foot pain as the sole is made for higher arches.

Harlick does have a lightweight version of their boot - my skater recently got these and compared them to "wearing shoes". I also wear Harlicks and have extremely flat feet but I have the X-Line design (as does my skater) and custom orthotics in a custom boot.

But I agree with everyone who has said that you need to go with the brand that fits and not any recommendation. The brands all have their own features fit-wise and what works really well for one person will be horrible for the next because we all have different feet.

I will say that if for some reason you have very difficult feet, Harlick is good for that because they will build a custom last for your boots based on the shape of your foot. But if Jacksons are working for the OP's skater then it sounds like they should stick with that.