Anastasia Tarakanova leaves Tutberidze | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Anastasia Tarakanova leaves Tutberidze

hanca

Record Breaker
Don't lie, you just can't get Trusova's quads out of your head :laugh: I understand that.

I hate to admit it here, but... while I have a HUGE respect for Trusova’s technical ability and think it is amazing that someone of her age is able to do two quads, I prefer watching Tarakanova’s skating. Tarakanova’s presentation, her ability to go for it, that’s just WOW for me. Her passion for skating, the fire in her... I know she is not as consistent, but it is so much harder to skate the way she does. She really doesn’t hold back.

LRK

Record Breaker
Good luck Nastia!
For me one of the best SP ever,
she deserved more points!!!
https://youtu.be/mE9IXqb4wXs
Great music, great coreo, complexity and energy!

Thanks for sharing! Since I don't follow juniors, I had not seen that before, and I really enjoyed it. I'll be curious to see what kind of programs they give her - I hope it is something in the same energetic vein, as it seems to suit her so well. Anyway, good luck to her & all the best.:)

Shayuki

Record Breaker
I hate to admit it here, but... while I have a HUGE respect for Trusova’s technical ability and think it is amazing that someone of her age is able to do two quads, I prefer watching Tarakanova’s skating. Tarakanova’s presentation, her ability to go for it, that’s just WOW for me. Her passion for skating, the fire in her... I know she is not as consistent, but it is so much harder to skate the way she does. She really doesn’t hold back.
Tarakanova definitely is a great skater, probably the most natural skating talent out of the current Russian ladies.

If I had a bit of a wishlist on what they could work on, I hope that they work on her free leg extension upon landing. Her free leg goes too high and it just doesn't work... Shouldn't be a massive issue to fix but it really would help.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
If I had a bit of a wishlist on what they could work on, I hope that they work on her free leg extension upon landing. Her free leg goes too high and it just doesn't work... Shouldn't be a massive issue to fix but it really would help.

Agreed. Lots of raw talent but she's very sloppy and a little all over the place. She can do the energetic programs but someone needs to work with her on her lines so she doesn't look so messy on the ice. It will be nice to see what kind of style she'll have under Plushenko. I lived Sima's programs last year. Hopefully they'll come up with something that's a good fit for Tarakanova.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I have a question for anyone who has real, or semi real facts. What is the reason these promising skaters are leaving Eteri? With her track record, you'd think skaters would be flocking to her rink. Does she have a stable of Juniors ready to take the places of Med and Anastasia?

IceBallerina

On the Ice
I have a question for anyone who has real, or semi real facts. What is the reason these promising skaters are leaving Eteri? With her track record, you'd think skaters would be flocking to her rink. Does she have a stable of Juniors ready to take the places of Med and Anastasia?
This is a difficult question. I guess the only “factual” reason is the skaters simply want a change. Anastasia is recovering from illness, it is probably difficult to keep up with Eteri’s level of coaching. We know Medvedeva’s reasons. Also, it’s difficult to receive the attention you might need because Eteri does indeed have a stable of juniors. She just took in more novices as well.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker

Juniors, yes, they've been there a couple of years (Trusova, Kostornaya) or longer (Shcherbakova)
She's got some new novices: Yasmina Kadyrova (technically junior eligible this season) Daria Usacheva, Maya Kromykh, Kamila Valieva (all born early 2006 -- eligible for Beijing) and Veronika Zhilina (2008 or 2009, don't remember right now)

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Juniors:

Kostornaya
Trusova
Shcherbakova
Maybe: Kadyrova(tryout?)

Younger than juniors:

Khromyh
Valieva
Usacheva
Akatieva
Zhilina

among others

The amount of international senior skaters stays the same:
Medvedeva, Tsurskaya -> Panenkova, Tursynbaeva

The amount of international junior skaters is decreased by one. Unless Kadyrova makes an appearance. (And she already had Shcherbakova but she becomes an international skater also)

50 Words for Snow

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I wonder if Nastya is paying her own money or if she got a grant from the school which they give to the more promising students. It's a private school and the state isn't going to fully finance her training there.
Isn't RusFed paying for Medvedeva's training at the private TCC school? I know Medvedeva has won more medals than Tarakanova, but if they'll pay a private Canadian coach to train a Russian skater, why wouldn't they pay a private Russian coach to train a Russian skater?

Trusova: So good, she counts as two competitors!!!!
She lands two quads, so you have to beat her twice! :rofl:

Weathergal

Medalist

This is a difficult question. I guess the only “factual” reason is the skaters simply want a change. Anastasia is recovering from illness, it is probably difficult to keep up with Eteri’s level of coaching. We know Medvedeva’s reasons. Also, it’s difficult to receive the attention you might need because Eteri does indeed have a stable of juniors. She just took in more novices as well.

Three out of my four favorite Eteri skaters have left her - Medvedeva, Tsurskaya, and Tarankova, with Kostornaia still there. One of the things all three ladies who left have in common is injuries / illness. Probably just a weird coincidence, and I would imagine their reasons for leaving might not have anything to do with that. I sincerely hope for the best for all three ladies and hope their respective moves are good for them.

hanca

Record Breaker
Three out of my four favorite Eteri skaters have left her - Medvedeva, Tsurskaya, and Tarankova, with Kostornaia still there. One of the things all three ladies who left have in common is injuries / illness. Probably just a weird coincidence, and I would imagine their reasons for leaving might not have anything to do with that. I sincerely hope for the best for all three ladies and hope their respective moves are good for them.
Coincidence? Shelepen - injury. Voronov was injured too. Pitkeev - career ending injury. Lipnitskaya - anorexia. Tsurskaya - injury. Medvedeva - injury. Tarakanova - whatever she had. Illness? Or injury? Can’t you really see the pattern? I have respect for whatever Tutberidze manages to squeeze out of the kids, but skating under her seems to be very high but only short term success and injury. The body obviously can’t take it longer than five years. Medvedeva seems to have lasted the longest at the top, but ended up the same as the others. I am giving Zagitova four more years max before she is injured, unless she switches coach earlier. No one lasted more than 5 years and most of them less.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Coincidence? Shelepen - injury. Voronov was injured too. Pitkeev - career ending injury. Lipnitskaya - anorexia. Tsurskaya - injury. Medvedeva - injury. Tarakanova - whatever she had. Illness? Or injury? Can’t you really see the pattern? I have respect for whatever Tutberidze manages to squeeze out of the kids, but skating under her seems to be very high but only short term success and injury. The body obviously can’t take it longer than five years. Medvedeva seems to have lasted the longest at the top, but ended up the same as the others. I am giving Zagitova four more years max before she is injured, unless she switches coach earlier. No one lasted more than 5 years and most of them less.
Injuries are a part of top sports. Have you compared this track record to other similarly successful coaches?

esteticlove

Final Flight
I wouldn't say that Eteri is to blame for those injuries, figure skating is a cruel sport and accidents happen. However, what I think is that she may be struggling with taking care of her already injured students. It's just not adequate to expect from them to train the same amount with the same difficulty as the non-injured ones. Although I believe that after Lipnitskaya and Pikteev she learnt her lesson and now she is more human towards them. Scherbakova - they gave her full time recovery after she broke her leg. I think Polina also got a chance to get some treatment (?). And..there was Medvedeva, her timing was the worst and I think it was a combination of not so much experience with injuries, strive to win (from both coach and student) and the lack of proper psychological support.

The pattern that all those skaters share is not only the injury but the struggle to come back at their previous level after the injury. I can imagine how hard it is to gain your conditioning back while at the same time there are 4-5 other girls, taking the lead and becoming proper attention and support from their coach.