Estimated Costs of Figure Skating | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Estimated Costs of Figure Skating

VegMom

On the Ice
The author must live in a cheap part of the country or something (maybe the New England area where there are supposed to be rinks at every corner, haven't been there). For example for Prelim through Juv she says basically 7.5 hours of freestyles a week, and 2.5 hours of lessons a week (assuming she meant each private lesson is half an hour long). Where I'm at that's basically $112 of freestyles and $200 of coaching fees (depending on coach) per week, or about $16k a year right there. Then you got competitions, skates, tests, costumes, etc., yet she says it only comes out to $7k-10k a year.

OK so I was just doing the math for my skater and I think I am spending more also. I think you are all right about this article being written by someone who lives in an area where the costs for skating are low.

But remember too that you don't want to multiply by 52 weeks, even though that's how many weeks are in a year. Skaters are supposed to take a few weeks off here and there for vacation and rest. Skate Canada recommends that skaters train 44 weeks per year. Many other sports experts recommend similar things - they say the kids can do sports/activities all year long but should rotate and only do each sport about 3/4 of the year at most.

So here is my skater's math:
1-2 hours per day 4-5 days per week, freestyle sessions are $10 per hour (but there are discounts for purchasing blocks of 10 at a time and also skaters can get free freestyle passes by volunteering to help out with Learn To Skate) = $80 - $200 per week
3 lessons per week, each are $40 = $120/week
multiply by 44 weeks per year
= $8800 - $14080 per year not including any fees related to competition

We just went to a competition and hotel, gas, entry fees, and costume cost over $1000 for this one. That's not including coach's fees. Others we have been to cost less. The biggest factor for us is hotel costs and flights if necessary. (Right now, to save money and hassle, we are going to avoid competitions that require flights.) Anyway, 2-4 competitions per year for this level FOR US works out to anything from $1500 up to $3000. (We save money on costumes by getting used and DIY stuff. At this level it does not seem important to have fancy expensive costumes. And some of our competitions are local and thus no hotel or travel costs.)

Skates cost $800 this year. (But a friend has the same skates gently used and only paid $250 for them)

So at a minimum WE are spending about $10k per year at this level. Practically speaking though I think we're spending closer to $15k or more.

But if we really wanted to keep costs down, I do believe it would be possible to get the costs down to about $7k. The biggest savings I think would be by getting free freestyle passes through volunteering, which really can only be done by the older kids and adults.

( Edit to add: my area has coaches that charge anywhere from $22/30 min - $60/30 min. Generally, the rate is strongly correlated to the experience and quality of coaching. )

Nimyue

On the Ice
Oh boy I didn't want to do this math lol, but VegMom's post made me curious.

To begin, I live in a cheap area for skating.

I pay $10/1.5hrs of ice at a rink my daughter and I skate at 2x/wk. I pay $10/hr, $15/2hr at a rink I go to by myself 2 times per week. Another rink I go to is $10/2hr on Sunday only. The last rink I pay $40/mo for 5am-6am Wed and Fri mornings.

So I have about $77.50/wk in ice for 2 people.

My coach is $28/hr and my bill is usually ~$200/mo for 2 skaters

I bought two dresses used for my daughter at $20/ea and I made 2 dresses for myself at $25/ea in materials.

We haven't had a competition yet, but we're hoping one for each of use this coming season.

So saying 44 weeks, that's $5,710/yr so far no competitions.

In reality I don't take weeks off really so it's probably closer to 50 weeks/yr with holidays so $6,475 is probably closer to accurate.

Oh skates! I have customs so $1300/3years ish. I buy used for my daughter so probably ~$250/yr

It's best that my husband never sees this thread >.>

ayb2

Rinkside
My coach is $28/hr and my bill is usually ~$200/mo for 2 skaters

Holy cow, $28 per hour? I thought I was in a pretty low cost area, and am getting $35 per half hour from head coach, $20 per half hour from supplemental coach. The $20 per half hour is considered a steal. Midwest here. Learn to skate is $10 per half hour.

Nimyue

On the Ice
I am also in the Midwest. I am regularly very thankful that I live here because there's no way I could afford to skate if I lived anywhere else.

LTS is $90 for 10 weeks for 1 hour session.

Ducky

On the Ice
::See costs for lessons and ice times, looks at how much it costs for ice times in major metropolitan area never mind lessons, cries::

Arwen17

Final Flight
I'm in a tiny, cheap town.

When I'm not working and can skate the public sessions:
$30/month for unlimited public
Ridiculously good deal, but when I'm working, it's pointless since 8am-5pm is when most publics and FS sessions occur. Hockey is given everything from 5pm-9pm. Rink closes at 9pm.

When I'm working, I skate the FS sessions:
5am-8am, $7x2 x 5days = $70 per week for ice-time (with maybe a couple public sessions on the weekend)

$122 per month for 2 lessons a week, plus 1 monthly off-ice

I only test once or twice a year and only do one competition a year. I usually don't travel far, if at all. Mainly, stay at home rink for everything.

Theatre on Ice is enormously expensive.
$600 for coaching and ice time.
$1000 for travel and hotel.
$500 for costumes and other required stuff.
plus several fundraisers you're required to do throughout the year to fund the team. I think you can pay them $100 for refusing to participate.

In Summary:
$1,464 per year for lessons
$3,640+ for ice-time
about $100 for yearly test and competition entry fees
about $300 for dress and stoning
$125 yearly club membership (plus required volunteer hours where you use up vacation days at work. grr!! or you can pay them like another $100 for refusing to volunteer)
--------------
$5,729+ per year (with TOI added: $7,000 per year)
plus if you have to replace your skates that year, you're looking at another $500-$1000 added every 3 years or so.

I'm only 15min drive from the rink, but gas costs money too.