Masterpieces that Never Came To Be | Golden Skate

Masterpieces that Never Came To Be

Imagine

Medalist
What do you think are some missed opportunities for unforgettable programs that could have been, be it in ladies, men, pairs, or dance due to these skaters having retired? Off the top of my head, my choices for ladies would be:

Sasha Cohen - Sleeping Beauty
I don't know why this never happened. It's just so obvious (at least to me). Granted, she's not short on masterpieces (or at least, potential masterpieces if only they were skated cleanly), but Sleeping Beauty would have been a nice addition to her repertoire. I think it's a huge loss to the sport that she didn't skate from 2007-2010, cause we might have actually seen this program. Along the same lines, I'd really like The Firebird for her as well.

Asada Mao - Spirited Away
If Mao's skating was written as music, I think this is exactly what it would sound like; soft and lyrical with a tinge of nostalgia. Any of of the tracks from the Spirited Away soundtrack would work. Music from the Ghibli movies in general has been overlooked in skating for far too long. Unfortunately, I think Mao would have done it the best, and now she's gone.

Yulia Lipnitskaya - Swan Lake
I don't think she would have had the best, or even second best version of Swan Lake, but it definitely would have been an amazing vehicle for her nonetheless. I know she's said that she dislikes classical type music, but it would have totally fit her skating style. I mean, she did have a couple of head-scratchers in terms of programs (gee, wonder who may have had a hand in that) in the latter part of her career. It's a shame because her skating was becoming so polished near the end, and I wish we could have seen what else she might have done with it.

FSLover17

On the Ice
Not so much a missed opportunity as she did skate to it but Yuna's Homage to Korea skated to its full potential would have been :love:
ETA: Yulia wanted to skate to Moonlight Sonata and I think she and a really good choreographer (maybe Lori or Tom Dickson) could have made a masterpiece out of that.

narcissa

Record Breaker
Not so much a missed opportunity as she did skate to it but Yuna's Homage to Korea skated to its full potential would have been :love:
ETA: Yulia wanted to skate to Moonlight Sonata and I think she and a really good choreographer (maybe Lori or Tom Dickson) could have made a masterpiece out of that.

My favorite free skate of hers. A masterpiece, even with the mistakes :)

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
Yuna's Giselle -I wish he have seen it more in competitions

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Virtue/Moir Tango SD/RD. They do the tango so well so it's likely that it could have reached or surpassed their Prince.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Virtue/Moir Tango SD/RD. They do the tango so well so it's likely that it could have reached or surpassed their Prince.

I second that sentyment... With that renewed ownership and energy they showcased over their material, they could make something memorable and non-obvious. Speaking of Tessa and Scott, I kind of see 'Great Gig In The Sky' FD as an unfinished/not enough performed masterpiece, the idea was beyond fantastic and they gave their all at Worlds, just wish it was not a season of Tessa's health problems...

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Mao fire dance LP. With a good tech, it could have been an unforgettable program.

pohatta

On the Ice
Kiira Korpi's last LP for 2014–2015 (Sibelius violin concerto) went practically unnoticed. At the Golden Spin of Zagreb the LP was so new that she had skated it through only a few times. At Europeans she fell ill and at Worlds she didn't make the cut. I would have wanted to see her skate to Sibelius at her top form (2012 GP Final, for example).

mrrice

Record Breaker
Michelle's Red Violin became a masterpiece but, it took until World's for it to happen. She lost to Irina at the GPF and most people thought that worlds belonged to Irina. Oop's…...

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Giada Russo’s Red Violin program. The choreography was AMAZING. Even with a relatively easy jump layout. If she’d skated that cleanly it would bring the house down.

Mao Asada’s Ritual Fire Dance

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The best program with the least acclaim I can think of is Boitano's second Olympic Program (1994) to Lincoln Portrait and Appalachian Spring.

It was a GLORIOUS program, sadly never skated perfectly, and never having that iconic performance that would elevate it to "masterpiece" status.

The center ice outside-inside spread eagle is the best move in the field I've ever seen. It's about 3:35 in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccayoVSqgUk

Eeyora

Final Flight
Michelle Kwan Samson and Delilah — I always wanted this to happen.. But most importantly Island of the Dead. I wish there was some camera footage somewhere

Ashley Wagner- The Feeling Begins-;The Program RAF called “Crap”

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree with the Boitano “Rodeo” program; a shame it was never skated perfectly, it was lovely and filled with feeling.

I would add Jason Brown’s “Inner Love” FS last year. Due to the pressures of trying to do too much too soon, it was never skated in perfect, flowing Jason style, and now for me it is associated with sad memories of Jason’s bad skate (for him) at US Nats. A pity, it was a lovely program too.....

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Patrick's 2018 Olympic programs.
Jeff Buttle's Hommage to Gould program
Nam Nguyen's (yeah.. laugh away) Bach's program : they ditched it because they felt he wasn't ready for such deep music, but for me, it was a program full of potential.
Osmond's Summertime : it was the right decision to go to last year's program but i was really enjoying it

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Nam Nguyen's (yeah.. laugh away) Bach's program : they ditched it because they felt he wasn't ready for such deep music, but for me, it was a program full of potential.

I'm not laughing! I never saw it, but I would love to see Nam skate to Bach.

Since the thread has drifted from the original purpose into what it is currently:

Sasha Cohen, Romeo and Juliet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh3iW4I39DI
The choreography reached its artistic peak at the Olympics, and she performed it with her absolute full capacity, with beautiful depth. If she'd landed her two jumping passes at the beginning properly, she should have won, and would have deserved 9.5-10 in the three artistic components.

Yuna Kim, The Lark Ascending: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOEtiTNX6gc
This reached its peak during the World Championships of 2007. Her depth of performance has rarely been matched under CoP. Pity she fell.

Those two are likely the best choreographed LPs under CoP.

Yuna Kim, Homage to Korea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bok8ZI4Cwks
If she'd competed this season, and had gradually improved the program through the season, this would probably be one of the best programs under CoP. As it stands, her abilities did regress after the Olympics for not competing, and the program could have been better at the beginning, and still could have fine-tuned details. However, the 3Lz-3T (landed after missing it in the SP) is probably the benchmark for the ladies' field, and with everything after the solo 3Lz (one of her best executions of that jump; again after messing up two jumping passes), her depth of performance was very good. Should have won this title.

Even less related to the intention of this thread: Mao Asada is someone who almost never had the perfect vehicle for her abilities. When she did, like with her SP at Worlds 2014, the results were undeniably masterful.