Is it normal to hear squeaks wearing skates? | Golden Skate

Is it normal to hear squeaks wearing skates?

Rozeamide

Rinkside
After I tie my skates and walk in them I hear squeaking. Is it normal for the skates to squeak? My skates are new and have only skated in them once,they are the Edea Overture.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
After I tie my skates and walk in them I hear squeaking. Is it normal for the skates to squeak? My skates are new and have only skated in them once,they are the Edea Overture.

Just to clarify: How are you walking around? Are you walking around with bare blades on a soft mat, or are you walking around with blade guards on? My blade guards often squeak, but I've never had an issue with squeaky boots as such, when I'm not wearing blade guards. But I've worn only Riedell and Jackson boots; no experience with Edea.

Rozeamide

Rinkside
Just to clarify: How are you walking around? Are you walking around with bare blades on a soft mat, or are you walking around with blade guards on? My blade guards often squeak, but I've never had an issue with squeaky boots as such, when I'm not wearing blade guards. But I've worn only Riedell and Jackson boots; no experience with Edea.

With blade guards and when I walked at the rink it was also squeaking and the floor is a rubber mat.

Clarice

Rinkside
When my skates squeak, it means screws are coming loose. I just had my skate tech replace the heel screws on my right boot because I couldn't keep them tightened any more. No more squeaking.

Rozeamide

Rinkside
When my skates squeak, it means screws are coming loose. I just had my skate tech replace the heel screws on my right boot because I couldn't keep them tightened any more. No more squeaking.
I have only skated in my skates once but when I was skating I didn’t hear squeaks but off ice when walking I hear squeaks.

Clarice

Rinkside
Yes, me too - the squeaks happen when walking off ice. Have you checked to make sure your screws are tight? When blades are first mounted, they usually just do a temporary mount in case the position needs to be adjusted.

Rozeamide

Rinkside
Yes, me too - the squeaks happen when walking off ice. Have you checked to make sure your screws are tight? When blades are first mounted, they usually just do a temporary mount in case the position needs to be adjusted.
Does this mean I have to go to skate shop for them to tighten the screws?

Clarice

Rinkside
Not necessarily. I carry a screwdriver in my skate bag just in case. I went to my skate tech this time because the screws were stripping out and I couldn't keep them tightened any more.

Rozeamide

Rinkside
Not necessarily. I carry a screwdriver in my skate bag just in case. I went to my skate tech this time because the screws were stripping out and I couldn't keep them tightened any more.

How does one know if the screws are loose? Like you can wiggle the screw or too much screw part is out?

Clarice

Rinkside
Try wiggling the blade to see if it's loose.....

Yes, this. Also, for me, I know my screws are loose because it squeaks when I walk off ice, which is where we started this discussion. I've just gotten into the habit of checking them periodically, and using a screwdriver as needed.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
How does one know if the screws are loose? Like you can wiggle the screw or too much screw part is out?
If you can wiggle the blade, wiggle the screws, or see that the screwheads are raised up, then the screws are waaay too loose. You need to tighten them before they ever get that loose. The problem is that if you overtighten them, you can strip the screw holes. If you're not sure what's too loose, what's too tight, and what's just right, it's best to ask someone experienced (a tech, a coach, a fellow skater, ...) to show you.

This is the trick I use. Typically when you use a screwdriver, you press the head of the handle against your palm and grab the handle with your thumb and all four fingers. This strong a grip can cause you to overtighten screws and strip screw holes. What I do when checking the tightness of screws is press the head of the handle against the first finger (next to the thumb) and grip the handle with the thumb on one side and the remaining three fingers on the other side. This will allow you to snug up loose screws without overtightening them.

Especially with a new mount, you should check the screws before each session. After a while they will settle in. I then check them every 3 - 5 sessions.

Rozeamide

Rinkside
If you can wiggle the blade, wiggle the screws, or see that the screwheads are raised up, then the screws are waaay too loose. You need to tighten them before they ever get that loose. The problem is that if you overtighten them, you can strip the screw holes. If you're not sure what's too loose, what's too tight, and what's just right, it's best to ask someone experienced (a tech, a coach, a fellow skater, ...) to show you.

This is the trick I use. Typically when you use a screwdriver, you press the head of the handle against your palm and grab the handle with your thumb and all four fingers. This strong a grip can cause you to overtighten screws and strip screw holes. What I do when checking the tightness of screws is press the head of the handle against the first finger (next to the thumb) and grip the handle with the thumb on one side and the remaining three fingers on the other side. This will allow you to snug up loose screws without overtightening them.

Especially with a new mount, you should check the screws before each session. After a while they will settle in. I then check them every 3 - 5 sessions.
Thank you very much!!

emcnes

Rinkside
My edeas were squeaky too- the people at the pro shop told me it was just because of the boots being new and the laces being new and having to break them in. Give it a week, I’m sure it’ll stop once you break them in fully.

Rozeamide

Rinkside
My edeas were squeaky too- the people at the pro shop told me it was just because of the boots being new and the laces being new and having to break them in. Give it a week, I’m sure it’ll stop once you break them in fully.
Thank you very much!!

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
My Concertos were super squeaky. They still are but it's not as bad. It wasn't the blade or the screws; they squeaked when I tried them on before having blades mounted. For me, it was just the leather and the newness of the boot.