Memorable Commentator Reactions | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Memorable Commentator Reactions

rinkside_user

On the Ice
B.ESP time again:

Nicky Slater on V/M'S FD at 2008 Worlds: "[after being speechless for about a minute] The difficulty. It's flawless but the difficulty in some of their moves and the transitions into the danceholds. Gosh! [...] They are doing something very difficult but it looks like it flows. [...] The changing of holds, the changing of direction within the hold. Very very complex and made to look easy, done at speed with deep edges. Excellent. So much to admire. [seeing V/M's almost kiss] Look at that! That's what it is about."

rinkside_user

On the Ice
Any time a skater is planning to hit/hitting a 3L/3L-3L/4L and Johnny or Terry 'subtly' bringing up how difficult a jump loop is so they can 'subtly' remind us of Tara's 3L-3L combo days. I find the whole setting-it-up hilarious.

Saundy83

Spectator
For me it was Joanie Rochette’s 2010 Olympics Ladies SP (https://youtu.be/VPcJ2czDg2U) It was NBCs coverage with Scott Hamilton and maybe Sandra Bezic (?). They didn’t utter a word or sound until she was bowing at the end of her program. I held it together until Scott attempted to speak and his voice broke. You could hear the emotion in his voice and could tell he was choked up. That’s when I lost it.

tjskate

Rinkside
This video has many wonderful moments, but for me there are 2 special ones:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOeI8hGsDPQ
At 22:10 - Dick Button without words when Rodnina/Zaitsev's music stopped at the 1973 Worlds
At 38:25 - Dick again - his reaction to John Curry's freeskate at the 1976 Olympics (well, his whole commentary during this performance)

And this moment when Midori Ito landed her triple axel at the 1992 Olymipcs (Scott Hamilton) (at 3:35)

katymay

Medalist
This video has many wonderful moments, but for me there are 2 special ones:
At 22:10 - Dick Button without words when Rodnina/Zaitsev's music stopped at the 1973 Worlds
At 38:25 - Dick again - his reaction to John Curry's freeskate at the 1976 Olympics (well, his whole commentary during this performance)

And this moment when Midori Ito landed her triple axel at the 1992 Olymipcs (Scott Hamilton) (at 3:35)

I remember another time Scott said (Of Midori) "It might be 30 years before another Midori Ito comes along. And guess what, he was right!

mirai_asada

On the Ice
Kurt Browning with regards to Satoko's Firedance SP in Worlds 2016:

"You get this feeling like she could reign over a country."

and

"She skates this program like she's got a secret, and if you're lucky when the music ends, she'll tell you the secret."

(Actually the whole CBC commentary is great)

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Kurt calling Yuzuru a showoff when he does something fabulous, and muttering "it's not fair", never fails to crack me up :laugh2: It's clear that were he the age to join the quad-etc revolution, he'd be at it with bells on....

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
For me it was Joanie Rochette’s 2010 Olympics Ladies SP (https://youtu.be/VPcJ2czDg2U) It was NBCs coverage with Scott Hamilton and maybe Sandra Bezic (?). They didn’t utter a word or sound until she was bowing at the end of her program. I held it together until Scott attempted to speak and his voice broke. You could hear the emotion in his voice and could tell he was choked up. That’s when I lost it.

yes! I think it was very hard for him not to bring back the emotions he had when he skated his olympics without his mother there to watch. So very hard. But another one of those moments I'm glad he was able to be a part of. I miss his commentary, shouting and all... definitely better than what we have now.

Saundy83

Spectator
yes! I think it was very hard for him not to bring back the emotions he had when he skated his olympics without his mother there to watch. So very hard. But another one of those moments I'm glad he was able to be a part of. I miss his commentary, shouting and all... definitely better than what we have now.

Oh I didn’t know that little tidbit about his Mother. That makes even more sense now as to why he was so emotional. I’ve always loved his commentating. He is one of the best!

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
B.ESP after Liza Tukt's Skate Canada Ex: Just as well she doesn't do that routine in competition, otherwise I think the judges might have a heart attack. :laugh:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Loved Kurt's NHK commentary on Shoma after his FS. Carol Lane is saying for a small guy, Shoma skates so big and fills the whole arena. Uncle Kurt answered "I once watched him salt his eggs in the breakfast room, and it was epic. Everything he does is big." :laugh2: Gotta love Uncle Kurt.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Oh I didn’t know that little tidbit about his Mother. That makes even more sense now as to why he was so emotional. I’ve always loved his commentating. He is one of the best!
His mother died before he went to his first Olympics - cancer. She was his everything. In his autobiography the tears streaming down his face on the olympic podium in 1984 were because he was overcome with teh emotion of "we did it, mom" and wanting so badly for her to see that her "screw up" finally accomplished what she always knew he could.

twinskaters

Spectator
My current favorite is during Nationals when Hanna Harrell was skating out for her short. Terry got a look at her music selection (“Bla Bla Bla Cha Cha Cha”) clearly got confused, and said “And she’s skating to...that.”

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My favorite that comes to mind is Dick Button calling Rudy Galindo’s Nationals win. That’s one of my go to YouTube watches when I’m down