Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: Memorable Commentator Reactions

You Know I'm a FS Fan... BillNeal's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    This season so far, the most memorable for me was when Debbi Wilkes was choking back tears after Weaver/Poje's free dance at ACI: https://youtu.be/7q9wW_FMiY8?t=335

Rinkside

2 Not allowed!
    B.ESP time again:

Nicky Slater on V/M'S FD at 2008 Worlds: "[after being speechless for about a minute] The difficulty. It's flawless but the difficulty in some of their moves and the transitions into the danceholds. Gosh! [...] They are doing something very difficult but it looks like it flows. [...] The changing of holds, the changing of direction within the hold. Very very complex and made to look easy, done at speed with deep edges. Excellent. So much to admire. [seeing V/M's almost kiss] Look at that! That's what it is about."

Rinkside

5 Not allowed!
    Any time a skater is planning to hit/hitting a 3L/3L-3L/4L and Johnny or Terry 'subtly' bringing up how difficult a jump loop is so they can 'subtly' remind us of Tara's 3L-3L combo days. I find the whole setting-it-up hilarious.

Spectator

5 Not allowed!
    For me it was Joanie Rochette’s 2010 Olympics Ladies SP (https://youtu.be/VPcJ2czDg2U) It was NBCs coverage with Scott Hamilton and maybe Sandra Bezic (?). They didn’t utter a word or sound until she was bowing at the end of her program. I held it together until Scott attempted to speak and his voice broke. You could hear the emotion in his voice and could tell he was choked up. That’s when I lost it.

Rinkside

2 Not allowed!
    This video has many wonderful moments, but for me there are 2 special ones:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOeI8hGsDPQ
    At 22:10 - Dick Button without words when Rodnina/Zaitsev's music stopped at the 1973 Worlds
    At 38:25 - Dick again - his reaction to John Curry's freeskate at the 1976 Olympics (well, his whole commentary during this performance)

And this moment when Midori Ito landed her triple axel at the 1992 Olymipcs (Scott Hamilton) (at 3:35)

Tripping on the Podium

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by tjskate View Post
    This video has many wonderful moments, but for me there are 2 special ones:
    At 22:10 - Dick Button without words when Rodnina/Zaitsev's music stopped at the 1973 Worlds
    At 38:25 - Dick again - his reaction to John Curry's freeskate at the 1976 Olympics (well, his whole commentary during this performance)

And this moment when Midori Ito landed her triple axel at the 1992 Olymipcs (Scott Hamilton) (at 3:35)
    I remember another time Scott said (Of Midori) "It might be 30 years before another Midori Ito comes along. And guess what, he was right!

On the Ice

4 Not allowed!
    Kurt Browning with regards to Satoko's Firedance SP in Worlds 2016:

"You get this feeling like she could reign over a country."

and

"She skates this program like she's got a secret, and if you're lucky when the music ends, she'll tell you the secret."

(Actually the whole CBC commentary is great)

Here for the High Lord of Extra TallyT's Avatar

6 Not allowed!
    Kurt calling Yuzuru a showoff when he does something fabulous, and muttering "it's not fair", never fails to crack me up It's clear that were he the age to join the quad-etc revolution, he'd be at it with bells on....

Rinkside

1 Not allowed!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Saundy83 View Post
    For me it was Joanie Rochette’s 2010 Olympics Ladies SP (https://youtu.be/VPcJ2czDg2U) It was NBCs coverage with Scott Hamilton and maybe Sandra Bezic (?). They didn’t utter a word or sound until she was bowing at the end of her program. I held it together until Scott attempted to speak and his voice broke. You could hear the emotion in his voice and could tell he was choked up. That’s when I lost it.
    yes! I think it was very hard for him not to bring back the emotions he had when he skated his olympics without his mother there to watch. So very hard. But another one of those moments I'm glad he was able to be a part of. I miss his commentary, shouting and all... definitely better than what we have now.

Spectator

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    yes! I think it was very hard for him not to bring back the emotions he had when he skated his olympics without his mother there to watch. So very hard. But another one of those moments I'm glad he was able to be a part of. I miss his commentary, shouting and all... definitely better than what we have now.
    Oh I didn’t know that little tidbit about his Mother. That makes even more sense now as to why he was so emotional. I’ve always loved his commentating. He is one of the best!

You Know I'm a FS Fan... BillNeal's Avatar

4 Not allowed!
    B.ESP after Liza Tukt's Skate Canada Ex: Just as well she doesn't do that routine in competition, otherwise I think the judges might have a heart attack.

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BillNeal View Post
    B.ESP after Liza Tukt's Skate Canada Ex: Just as well she doesn't do that routine in competition, otherwise I think the judges might have a heart attack.
    I love their understated sense of humor! One of my favorites of theirs was on a triple twist by Tarasova / Morozov. "Huge! She could have changed the light fittings while she was up there! Incredible!"

https://youtu.be/kF3v-Ae2gd0?t=41

1 Not allowed!
    Loved Kurt's NHK commentary on Shoma after his FS. Carol Lane is saying for a small guy, Shoma skates so big and fills the whole arena. Uncle Kurt answered "I once watched him salt his eggs in the breakfast room, and it was epic. Everything he does is big." Gotta love Uncle Kurt.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Saundy83 View Post
    Oh I didn’t know that little tidbit about his Mother. That makes even more sense now as to why he was so emotional. I’ve always loved his commentating. He is one of the best!
    His mother died before he went to his first Olympics - cancer. She was his everything. In his autobiography the tears streaming down his face on the olympic podium in 1984 were because he was overcome with teh emotion of "we did it, mom" and wanting so badly for her to see that her "screw up" finally accomplished what she always knew he could.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8