Memorable Commentator Reactions | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Memorable Commentator Reactions

steiner

Rinkside
Nothing will top B.ESP uncles threatening to spank the judge who put S/Z second in ordinals after their breathtaking 2003 Worlds Turandot.

rinkside_user

On the Ice
My absolute favorite is Simon Reed in this regard.

Slutskaya 2005 Worlds FS: "Oh YES! Just try to tell them [the audience] there's any doubt who has won this gold medal. The best performance of her life here at home in Moscow. No wonder the tears are starting to flow."

Shen/Zhao 2003 Worlds FS: "Goosebumps. [...] That was a performance that doesn't just take the gold. That rivals any pair skating perfomance in history, going back to the great Gordeeva and Grinkov and Mishkutionok and Dmitriev. [...] We don't need judges here. We don't need any judging system. [...] One judge has them second. Should be carried off and spanked."

Nothing will top B.ESP uncles threatening to spank the judge who put S/Z second in ordinals after their breathtaking 2003 Worlds Turandot.
The British commentators comment after Shen/Zhao's FS 2003 Worlds: :laugh:
https://youtu.be/5cz6r2XE8N0?t=495

EDIT: Oh, FSLover17 and steiner were faster. :) My bad.

Also, while I didn't like his commentating at all, Scott Hamilton's laugh after Slutskaya's high triple lutz in her SP in Turin.

Jezabel

Rinkside
I recently rewatched the Pairs final group FS from 2015 Worlds with the tdp commentators. The only thing I understood was their awed exclamations of wow! after seemingly every well-executed element. Their enthusiasm is definitely appreciated and infectious!

In this case commentators were Paloma del Río and Javier Raya (yes, the skater 😃). Paloma is always so respectful and nice everybody loves her in Spain 😍

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
My absolute favorite is Simon Reed in this regard.

Slutskaya 2005 Worlds FS: "Oh YES! Just try to tell them [the audience] there's any doubt who has won this gold medal. The best performance of her life here at home in Moscow. No wonder the tears are starting to flow."

Shen/Zhao 2003 Worlds FS: "Goosebumps. [...] That was a performance that doesn't just take the gold. That rivals any pair skating perfomance in history, going back to the great Gordeeva and Grinkov and Mishkutenok and Dmitriev. [...] We don't need judges here. We don't need any judging system. [...] One judge has them second. Should be carried off and spanked."

EDIT: Oh, FSLover17 and steiner were faster. :) My bad.

Also, while I didn't like his commentating at all, Scott Hamilton's laugh after Slutskaya's high triple lutz in her SP in Turin.

Thank you so much for providing that link of Irina...such a beautiful programme. Makes me cry every time..I recall our own Joan Haanappel (whom I mentioned in an earlier post) actually choked up on this one. She was so happy for her!

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Guess: 'it wasn't four and a half minutes, it was just no time at all'. Love that comment. Think of EC 2017 and pairs....

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I would add Dick Button and Fleming commentating of Maria Butyrskaya's 1999 world freeskate has to be memorable They didn't have much faith or hope in her and seemed almost in disbelief that she won. Dick especially was not a Maria fan. Good for her lol!

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
My turn. Guess: "...they were clapping along with the music. That's the first time I've ever heard that at a compulsory dance!"

Amei

Record Breaker
Most all of Scott Hamilton's commentary - yes he gets over-excited but I would much rather listen to commentary of someone that gets really excited over the US commentators we have now - T&J are too into themselves and catty in their commentary

Tanager

On the Ice
In this case commentators were Paloma del Río and Javier Raya (yes, the skater 😃). Paloma is always so respectful and nice everybody loves her in Spain 😍

Aww I had no idea it was Javier Raya commentating. That just makes their commentary even better. :luv17: Glad to know his co-commentator is beloved too!

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Rod Black of CTV coverage always sounds enthused when a skater is having an outstanding skate, and at the end of the competition, Rod always delivers a very heartfelt salute to all the skaters both highs and lows, it's a very emotional delivery. I always look forward to Rod's coverage.

rinkside_user

On the Ice
Adding some more:

BESP Simon Reed on Hanyu 2015 GPF FS: "We're in the presence of real greatness."

NBC on Hanyu 2015 GPF FS: "He's taking not only himself, he's taking the sport to places that we don't really know. [..] We've just witnessed greatness. He's superior to any other male figure skater out there. [...] This is wizardry."
(Double hilarious in hindsight as the portrayed Abe no Seimei is regarded more or less as an Eastern-type equivalent of a traditional wizard, according to legends and folklore.)

BESP Simon Reed on Hanyu 2017 Worlds FS: "Very probably the best figure skate ever."

BESP Nicky Slater choking up after Papadakis/Cizeron 2016 Worlds SD: "Well Boston has seen some art in its time. That... I forgot it was a short dance. That was sensational. It is art on ice."

My turn. Guess: "...they were clapping along with the music. That's the first time I've ever heard that at a compulsory dance!"
Virtue/Moir's CD in Vancouver if I am not mistaken:) :):)

Indeed. :)

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Partway through the final men's SP group at the 2016 Worlds... I think it was the CBC commentators, just as Javi was about to start;

"Someone remind me to breathe...
"Ohh... I think we're gonna need the defibrillator before this event's over. "

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands

It's got to be a while ago...I'm guessing it must be commentary on one of V/M's compulsory dances, perhaps at the olympics at 2010?