ISU Year-End Awards | Golden Skate

ISU Year-End Awards

mau

3Lz3Lo3Lo3Lo3Lo
On the Ice
I read that there was some conversation during ISU meeting last month about creating a figure skating awards at the end of each season, like FIFA Awards for football.

Probably it would reward the best skater/team of each discipline, the best jumping pass, the best spin, StSq, ChSq, program, coach and etc of that season. At the end of a decade they could reward the most accomplished skater of the past ten years too. What do you think about it? I think it would be fun and would led to a lot of drama (which we love, anyway).

acapenci

On the Ice
Would lead to endless threads made by people who think their fav deserved the award more than the person who got it

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'd rather see the ISU's money spent on training judges and technical panel members, supporting skating development in small federations and providing prize money at non-championship events than on throwing a glitzy self-congratulatory party that would be even smaller-time than the Logies.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Would lead to endless threads made by people who think their fav deserved the award more than the person who got it

Yup. This is the very definition of a Very Bad Idea.

And I'm with Harriet. So many better things the ISU could spend the money on.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I could imagine an award for somebody who has done a lot for the Sport as a whole or for one or more of the disciplines, but not awards for best skater (don't we have championships to determine that?), best jumping pass, etc. or the most accomplished skater over a decade. I'm with the others on this kind of award: bad idea, and better things to spend money on.

But, an award for a person who's done something meaningful for the sport but is not directly involved with the skating, like the promotion/development of the sport in a certain country, or a commentator who gets more audiences in due to his/her explanations, etc. That might be worth considering. Or an award for a skater/team who has done something meaningful for society or his/her/their community. In both cases it wouldn't be a question of who is the best though, just letting someone have a moment in the sun. Such awards wouldn't have to cost much either. Maybe this type of thing already exists? I'm sure of it if one sticks to the National level, but not about it existing within the ISU.

They already created awards they dont award anymore... Dumbness is their trademark anyway.

lesnar001

Record Breaker
I read that there was some conversation during ISU meeting last month about creating a figure skating awards at the end of each season, like FIFA Awards for football.

Probably it would reward the best skater/team of each discipline, the best jumping pass, the best spin, StSq, ChSq, program, coach and etc of that season. At the end of a decade they could reward the most accomplished skater of the past ten years too. What do you think about it? I think it would be fun and would led to a lot of drama (which we love, anyway).

I agree with the people saying it would be too much drama and bickering.

Why do they need to do awards - the skaters already competed for individual medals and placements at competitions.

ElSoteroLoco

On the Ice
Would lead to endless threads made by people who think their fav deserved the award more than the person who got it[/QUOTE I would actually love this, but, i completely agree with you...LOL And we ALL know who those FAN-atics would be! LOL

Imagine

Medalist
Nah. This type of cheesiness would be more appropriate if organized by fansites, like this one in fact.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
This may sound cheesy, but how about giving Denis a posthumous award for his contributions to the sport? Not just his own skating (incredible in itself, and worthy of an award), but for his heartfelt ambassadorship for his country in the 'competition' to get the Olympics to Kazachstan, his lovely shows to promote FS even further, his grace, his kindness (yes, very important) and, well, everything. I realise, it's all too little too late, but such an award might bring comfort to his family and close friends even if it will never be enough because we all want Denis back.

ejnsofi

Final Flight
This may sound cheesy, but how about giving Denis a posthumous award for his contributions to the sport? Not just his own skating (incredible in itself, and worthy of an award), but for his heartfelt ambassadorship for his country in the 'competition' to get the Olympics to Kazachstan, his lovely shows to promote FS even further, his grace, his kindness (yes, very important) and, well, everything. I realise, it's all too little too late, but such an award might bring comfort to his family and close friends even if it will never be enough because we all want Denis back.

I was thinking about it and I wonder if we see any official tribute to Denis during ISU competition (like one during Oscar gala). He deserves one.

Alchamei

Record Breaker
I'm reposting a part of SpiffySpiders post from another thread, since I think this should get more attention.

As I've seen suggested elsewhere, and perhaps here as well, an annual skating award given in Denis' name and, if possible, an academic/artistic/sports scholarship, for promising young skaters representing emerging skating federations would be a fitting recognition of his passions. It's obvious he wanted to be, and was becoming, an ambassador for not only sport in Kazakhstan but for dreaming to excel internationally in any walk of life, no matter if your home nation is internationally powerful in your field of choice or if you will have to be the trailblazer. He inspired others, and that should be continued.

Tell those around you what you love about them every chance you get. Share hugs. Share your talents. Make people smile.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How about a FAIRNESS and IMPARTIALITY award for ISU judges, with big cash prizes, based entirely on scoring patterns during the year, particularly with attention to how they score skaters from their own countries vs their top rivals?