Irrational Skating Fears | Golden Skate

Irrational Skating Fears

Imagine

Medalist
Whenever I watch skaters warming up or in practice (basically when there is more than one skater on the ice) I have this irrational fear whenever they do a camel spin. I keep thinking another skater is gonna skate by and get his/her face sliced open. Another one is whenever a skater does a Biellmann spin and grab the blade. I always thing they will slice their hand open (especially when not wearing gloves). Then there's the pairs/dance. Whenever they do that move where the girl stands on the guy's legs with the blades I'm like...:palmf:

Basically, I have a lot of slicing fears lol. Anyone else have an irrational skating fear?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Whenever I watch skaters warming up or in practice (basically when there is more than one skater on the ice) I have this irrational fear whenever they do a camel spin. I keep thinking another skater is gonna skate by and get his/her face sliced open. Another one is whenever a skater does a Biellmann spin and grab the blade. I always thing they will slice their hand open (especially when not wearing gloves). Then there's the pairs/dance. Whenever they do that move where the girl stands on the guy's legs with the blades I'm like...:palmf:

Basically, I have a lot of slicing fears lol. Anyone else have an irrational skating fear?

I understand that you are scared of these things but they would be very rare to happen. yes, skaters do cut themselves often from our blades (edges or picks only, the bottom or middle runner of the blade is not sharp like the edges), which is also the reason the pairs and dancers can stand on their partners leg etc and not severely cut them open.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker

Whenever something gets left out on the ice or part of an athlete's costume falls off, I worry that the competing athletes will skate over it. Even though I've never seen anyone trip over anything left on the ice.

Also, I have a constant fear of the guys from my favorite dance teams splitting up with their partners and going off to skate with girls who compete for Shpilband & either have more money than their current dance partners or a free berth in a weaker ice dance country. (Ice-dance fan problems;)).

Tanager

On the Ice
Whenever something gets left out on the ice or part of an athlete's costume falls off, I worry that the competing athletes will skate over it. Even though I've never seen anyone trip over anything left on the ice.

I'm glad I'm not alone in this irrational fear! Any time a skater throws down a prop or article of clothing in an exhibition programme, I have a vague feeling of dread when they are skating anywhere near it. It's my weirdly genuine fear that they will trip over it. :laugh:

Sibelius

On the Ice
I still have visions of my little skater on one of her first FS sessions zoning out and coming very very close to a girl doing a camel spin. It was terrifying. It's still terrifying.

coucou84

On the Ice
As a skater, my biggest fear is falling and someone passes by me, tries to avoid me and ends up slicing my finger with their blades

acapenci

On the Ice
When i was young, my ice dance partner fell on top of me and her toepick gouged my leg, creating quite a nasty wound

mrrice

Record Breaker
It wasn't a fear until to happened to me but, falling and sliding head first into the unpadded boards gave me a concussion.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker

Well this actually did happen to Jessica Dube and Bryce Davison at 4CC in 2007 - side by side camel spins, it was horrible. For a long time I cringed whenever pair skaters did a side by side camel spin. Here is footage of their horrible mishap and also the whole program.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbvR90D5Q1Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2yQL6jupXE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbvR90D5Q1Q - interview with Bryce and Jessica

Henni147

Final Flight
Well this actually did happen to Jessica Dube and Bryce Davison at 4CC in 2007 - side by side camel spins, it was horrible. For a long time I cringed whenever pair skaters did a side by side camel spin.
OMG, that looked horrible indeed :eekn: I've heard of an accident during a sbs camel spin, but never seen it before.

Coming back to slicing fears in general: I always have to remember that terrible crash between Yuzu and Yan Han at CoC 2014 during the warm-up. Both at full speed, didn't notice each other and bamm... laying on the ice for a minute. I think, Han's blade hit Yuzu at his throat, he was bleeding and you could see the cut even months later...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf84VzlzLhI&app=desktop

It's no surprise that the skaters are extra careful or even a bit squeamish during warm-ups or practice, especially after negative experiences like that.

I can also understand other skaters, if they don't like to skate immediately after Yuzu. The flower girls do their best to collect all the toys, but they can always forget something in the hurry... :sad14: And it takes away preparation time from the next skater. Javi said in Shanghai: “I’m going to skate around [the bears] and try not to kill myself.”
On the one hand I love the Pooh rain, it's an iconic ritual of this sport, but it has some disadvantages, too...

NymphyNymphy

On the Ice
Can't they just go into a layback camel spin position like Yuna with the free leg bent to prevent slicing each other?

mau

3Lz3Lo3Lo3Lo3Lo
On the Ice
When skaters bring stuff to Exhibitions (like Alina’s candle) or throw coats or something part of the costume on ice. I’m always afraid that they won’t see it.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I know there is already too much death talk since a few days, but i'm afraid to see a skater have a heart attack on ice, like i've seen in football.

Imagine

Medalist