Harlick & Sp-Teri Fitting Experience? | Golden Skate

Harlick & Sp-Teri Fitting Experience?

Sibelius

On the Ice
Hi All,

So my questions below about Jackson v. Harlick & Sp-Teri will be officially answered soon. My skater's coach has asked us to visit the factories and get their input on her next boots.

Can anyone tell me what their experiences were with either of those boot mfgs. as to the fitting experience? Are they a hard sell environment, soft sell? I've already told my skater to not make her Riedell faces :mad: when she tries them on. I'm still confident she's a Jackson girl for at least another boot cycle, maybe two, but coach says go see what they have to say. We have an appointment at Harlick later this morning and visit Sp-Teri on Saturday. Still mulling whether to cross the bridge to Avanta or not.

Oh, and on my other question about when to move a skater to advanced blades, evidently it's now for mine. We've been advised to go with either the Gold Seal or Gold Star on her next boot. I'd asked coach when we first started together for advice and she didn't really offer much, but evidently my little skater has "crossed over" (her term) and she's seeing more in her abilities now that she's worked with her for a few months.

If anyone can share their experiences I'd appreciate knowing what I'm walking in to. Wish us luck.

SmallAminal

On the Ice
My skater and I were both fitted at Harlick. I didn't find they gave a "hard sell" but they were honest in giving feedback based on the state of our feet and our level of skating. We brought the existing Riedell skates so that they could see how they fit and listen to the things that were causing my skater discomfort. Based on that discussion, they offered up some suggestions on modifications that might address some of the issues, but didn't demand that we do them. My skater started out in the traditional competitor + (they said the lightweight version might not be worth it at that point) but the second pair we ordered we decided to go with the lightweight version. For me they looked at my feet and immediately knew that I would need full customs as the sizing was mismatched and I had some unique issues with my feet. I also got the built-in orthotics (I wear orthotics, so this made sense). I didn't feel pressured into the customs, but they explained that while they could try to work from the standard models, it would be unlikely to produce a better fit than what I had in my current boots.

There are lots of "upgrades" you can get - special leathers, designs, glitter glaze on the heels and soles, but they didn't try to upsell us on any of that. I was comfortable with the process and felt that we got exactly what we needed - nothing more, nothing less.

THey also let us have a tour of the factory, which was super cool to see.

Expect a very long turnaround time for the skates though. Unless by chance there is a stock boot on hand that fits exactly, you will be waiting many weeks for them to be produced.

Sibelius

On the Ice
Thanks, that's great information. She's been very comfortable in her stock Jackson's with no issues at all. We're just following the coaches advice and seeing what they have to say. I was hoping to avoid this for a bit, but what can you do? I figure we've got 3 months before she needs new boots so we have some time, foot growth dependent. I'm a little afraid of the "add ons", I know she'd love the glitter, cut outs, etc. I just keep telling her, well that's another lesson paid for...sometimes it works.

Did you get your blades from them as well? I'm thinking of sticking with our current fitter for blades no matter what since she can work with her on the ice to get adjustments right. She's a bit of a grump about working on other boots bought elsewhere, even if she gets paid for it. She's great at getting it right though, so we deal with it.

Thanks again for you input. I'm sort of looking forward to the experience, sort of terrified at the same time.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I echo exactly what SmallAnimal said about getting fitted at Harlick.

I didn't get my blades from them but my skating friend did and they also mounted them for her. No problems.

Don't be terrified - it's fun! When your skater steps up to sit in the fitting chair you can imagine all the champion skaters that have sat in it before her. The factory is a neat place to visit and there is a lot of memorabilia there.

And yes, the add-on design options are very tempting! My friend had her boots made in purple suede. I'm a purist and just got the usual boring white boots. :laugh:

jf12

Final Flight
My skating partner got custom Harlicks from an east coast dealer, and I went with him to see what it was all about. If you're close to the factory it sounds like a great experience to go and visit, and it would probably be a lot better than getting fitted elsewhere. Harlicks are high quality boots especially if cost is not a concern. However, I wouldn't assume that they're going to fit perfectly your first 'cycle' of boots or automatically be better than the Jacksons which are currently working for her. Is your coach saying to get them because there's a particular customization she thinks will improve your daughter's skating, like a custom higher heel? If not, you should go with whatever boot that fits, there's nothing about expensive custom boots like Harlicks or SP Teris that is intrinsically better for every skater.

SmallAminal

On the Ice
Did you get your blades from them as well? I'm thinking of sticking with our current fitter for blades no matter what since she can work with her on the ice to get adjustments right.

We did not get our blades from them - partially because the finished products were being sent to Canada and I wanted to keep customs and duties issues to a minimum. We bought the blade here and had it mounted by our tech. Especially with the carbon soles on the lightweight version, I wanted him to do it.

I do think its curious that your coach is pushing this since I believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it! If she is happy and comfortable in the Jacksons, there isn't a real reason to change, IMHO. My skater and I were in tons of pain and we have janky feet, so it made sense for us to go looking for something else.

Sibelius

On the Ice
We did not get our blades from them - partially because the finished products were being sent to Canada and I wanted to keep customs and duties issues to a minimum. We bought the blade here and had it mounted by our tech. Especially with the carbon soles on the lightweight version, I wanted him to do it.

I do think its curious that your coach is pushing this since I believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it! If she is happy and comfortable in the Jacksons, there isn't a real reason to change, IMHO. My skater and I were in tons of pain and we have janky feet, so it made sense for us to go looking for something else.

I wouldn’t say pushing, suggesting is more like it. We did learn today that she has a pronation issue that could be fixed with a wedge of some sort in the new boot. I think that’s more what she has in mind, going forward if there is something that could be made better for her we should find out. So I’ve sent a message to her fitter asking if there is anything we can do to fix that in a stock boot. Coach told me that if I was absolutely sure her feet were right in the stock Jackson’s they would be fine too.

I have to say, once we got there (traffic was horrible, still don’t know why I ever moved back here!) it was a very nice experience. Jason took his time and made some suggestions about what was necessary and what we could do without. It’s daunting though not knowing exactly how the boot would feel until it’s finished. I guess you have to look at the wall of pictures of Olympians and National Champions who trusted them with their skating lives and say ok, let’s go.

I’m not ready to say let’s go yet, still visiting Sp-Teri on Saturday for their opinion. Well stop by our fitters shop and see what she says about the Jacksons as well. I think I’m toast with the blade though, get the sense that’s not negotiable. Gold Seal or Gold Star. Revs sure are light.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I wouldn’t say pushing, suggesting is more like it. We did learn today that she has a pronation issue that could be fixed with a wedge of some sort in the new boot. I think that’s more what she has in mind, going forward if there is something that could be made better for her we should find out. So I’ve sent a message to her fitter asking if there is anything we can do to fix that in a stock boot. Coach told me that if I was absolutely sure her feet were right in the stock Jackson’s they would be fine too.

I have to say, once we got there (traffic was horrible, still don’t know why I ever moved back here!) it was a very nice experience. Jason took his time and made some suggestions about what was necessary and what we could do without. It’s daunting though not knowing exactly how the boot would feel until it’s finished. I guess you have to look at the wall of pictures of Olympians and National Champions who trusted them with their skating lives and say ok, let’s go.

I’m not ready to say let’s go yet, still visiting Sp-Teri on Saturday for their opinion. Well stop by our fitters shop and see what she says about the Jacksons as well. I think I’m toast with the blade though, get the sense that’s not negotiable. Gold Seal or Gold Star. Revs sure are light.

Just a little bit of advice. Gold Seal over Gold Star any day, and also be careful with revs, they are very light but cause all kinds of other issues with footwork and catch spins.

Sibelius

On the Ice
Just a little bit of advice. Gold Seal over Gold Star any day, and also be careful with revs, they are very light but cause all kinds of other issues with footwork and catch spins.

Thanks, that's coaches choice too, since she was 7. Yeah, not going for the rev's as nice as they are, we talked about it today, where do you put your hand on a spiral and a haircutter? Too much trouble.

concorde

Medalist

Interesting because our coach prefers Gold Stars to Gold Seals. She prefers the way they spin.

FWIW. My daughter has had both and has been in the Gold Stars for the last 2 years so clearly she likes them.

I really think it is a person preference based on the preferred rockers.

Sibelius

On the Ice
Interesting because our coach prefers Gold Stars to Gold Seals. She prefers the way they spin.

FWIW. My daughter has had both and has been in the Gold Stars for the last 2 years so clearly she likes them.

Our regular fitter says the Gold Stars are easier to get used to, but says she'll be fine in either. I guess we're at the "trust the coach point" who tells me that all of her skaters crossed over to the Gold Seals and still use and love them. At this price point for boots and blades I can't help but feeling like I'm in the 5 stages of grief: Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression and Acceptance. Stuck in bargaining at the moment. I swear I'm going to ask Sp-Teri, do we REALLY need these boots and blades now? Can't you tell coach she's good in her Jacksons for awhile longer?

concorde

Medalist
Have you asked the coach why you need to switch if the "stock" Jacksons work well? I could understand if your skater was having problems with the current Jacksons but my impression that is not the case.

Sibelius

On the Ice
Have you asked the coach why you need to switch if the "stock" Jacksons work well? I could understand if your skater was having problems with the current Jacksons but my impression that is not the case.

Coach wants to be absolutely sure she is fit correctly. I think she's fine in the Jacksons, our regular fitter does as well, but it's her suggestion that we go to the boot makers to see what they have to say. We already found out from Harlick that she needs an inside wedge correction insole. I've been told that Harlick can make one for any boot though. I'll see what "George" says tomorrow.

I always expected to move to either Harlick or Sp-Teri, once we crossed over in price point between say a Jackson Supreme and a custom, since we are local to them, and at that price why not have the best fit possible if the cost is the same? Just wasn't prepared for it being now when I though we could get by with another Debut Firm, or Premier, or Elite. I'm not sold and they're really going to have to convince me it's worth it tomorrow. I liked Harlick, but wasn't convinced it would be better for her now. I know she fits in Jackson, we can try on the EXACT boot we're going to buy with Jackson, not one to be built with trust and hope. I did ask her today to not fire us if we stick with Jackson. Haven't gotten a response...

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

The more interesting thing is that more top skaters wear Seals than Stars. :confused2:

concorde

Medalist
The more interesting thing is that more top skaters wear Seals than Stars. :confused2:

Agreed but I believe some do wear Stars. I wonder if the popularity can partially be contributed to the rocker size.

It may also be the age of the coach. Our main coach has been coaching for years and she definitely has her preferred boots and blades. When we asked for the Gold Stars the last time, our fitter just looked and asked if we were sure. According to him, they were popular awhile back but rarely does he get request for them.

I think both are at a similar price point.

Sibelius

On the Ice
If anyone is interested in an update I've replied to another post by Goji with our experience and our status.