Programs worth a second coming | Golden Skate

Programs worth a second coming

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
I had this idea yesterday before I went to sleep and listened to Isaac Schwartz - Melody of the white nights. I loved Evgenia's short program to it back in season 2015/2016 and started wondering how the program would look like if she performed it now, when she has developed so much.

Which programs from the past would you like skaters to "recycle" and perform again? Which programs of the past do you think the skaters could improve on today by being more mature/experienced/refined etc than they were back when they performed this program? How do you feel about the times skaters have actually done something like this?

First in my mind are both of Medvedeva's programs from 2015/2016, especially maybe the long program, which I feel was already great back then, but could also suit her now.

Also maybe Elena Radionova's SP to Jennifer Lopez, which I feel she could sell even more now that she has grown so much compared to her first senior season.

I'm sure I will think of more, but which programs do you think would be worth a second coming?

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Weaver/Poje 2014 Maria De Buenos Aires FD to this season's rhythm dance

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Weaver/Poje 2014 Maria De Buenos Aires FD to this season's rhythm dance

On a WeaPo note - I truly wish they would give their 2012/13 FD another run, to see how them being where are they now would see that theme (it was 'Humanity in Motion' by Nathan Lanier)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i want chiddy to come back and do both hallelujah and dust in the wind flawlessly.... these programs are becoming more and more special to me after this year.... i wish i had good clean versions to look at.... i do agree with skatingfan4ever who mentioned in another thread that patrick's programs don't need to be flawless to be works of art.... but i am greedy ... i want my chiddy cake and I want to eat it.

Henni147

Final Flight
On the one hand Yuzu has recycled both programs last season and I want to see something new from him. On the other hand...

...I would really like to see LGC at its full potential. I do not (only) mean a clean skate but Yuzu literally "going crazy". At GPF16 he was very playful and had a lot of fun, but he didn't freak out entirely as he did in some group choreos at FaOI for example. I think LGC could evolve to a program of the century.

Remember the improvement from Chopin 1.0 to 3.0. If you ask me, it was worth it :agree:

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
Satoko's The Planets. The lifespan of that program was cut short by her injury and I'd love to see it brought back. It was lovely and suited her style so well.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Totally agree on Satoko's the Planets. Also, 2013-2014 Evgenia's long program. And definitely 2015-2016 short program of Evgenia's

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Jeremy Abbott's original LP from the 09-10 season which was "Jupiter" from The Planets by Holst and "Pines of Rome" by Respighi.

leoleo

Medalist
Yuna's Gisele and Arirang cause she only skated to it once and she wasn't at the best of her form
I wished Mao's Cello Suites had been used in competition, it was so beautiful :love:

Tanager

On the Ice
Does anyone remember in the early 2000s when the ISU had skaters do two Free Programmes at the GPF??
Most skaters just used their FP from the season before, but some did go back to reuse their most loved/popular programmes from years prior.

Maybe the ISU could bring back two FPs at the GPF and let some of those beautiful past programmes shine again. :luv17:

lesnar001

Record Breaker
Does anyone remember in the early 2000s when the ISU had skaters do two Free Programmes at the GPF??
Most skaters just used their FP from the season before, but some did go back to reuse their most loved/popular programmes from years prior.

Maybe the ISU could bring back two FPs at the GPF and let some of those beautiful past programmes shine again. :luv17:
I don't remember that. I think it would be tough on the skaters - even though they have skated these programs in the past, they would still have to train to prepare 2 long programs and a short program.

I do remember when Worlds had some sort of qualifying round, but I thought that was skating their regular long program.

Tanager

On the Ice
I don't remember that. I think it would be tough on the skaters - even though they have skated these programs in the past, they would still have to train to prepare 2 long programs and a short program.

I do remember when Worlds had some sort of qualifying round, but I thought that was skating their regular long program.

It was possibly only during the 2001/2002 season and I don't even remember the rationale behind it. From a purely spectator's perspective, it was kind of neat to get to see, for example, Yagudin's Gladiator programme get brought back one more time. That said, I agree that it makes things pretty tough on the skaters, which is likely why it never caught on.

And yes, with the Qualifying Round, skaters used their regular LP.

lyverbird1

Final Flight
I'd love to see Savchenko and Massot skate to Lighthouse again. The music and choreography created an amazing piece of magic that I felt privileged to see live at worlds.

randomfan

Record Breaker
Nobody talks about this program anymore, but I absolutely loved Alaine Chartrand’s “Gone With the Wind” FS in the 2015-16 season. Her performance at Canadian Nationals showed how spectacular the program is and it’s a shame that she never performed it nearly as well on the international stage. I really want to see this program again.

As someone mentioned before, Yuna Kim’s “Giselle” and “Homage to Korea” come to mind as well. Even with the limited number of times we saw the two programs, whether at 2011 Worlds or ice shows, it was still clear that these two programs had lots of potential.

Mao Asada’s “Ritual Fire Dance” also deserved a second coming. I personally didn’t like the SP that much, but the FS was my favourite program of that season, and it’s too bad that her struggles during that period prevented her from having a good performance of it.

Yuzuruu

the silent assassin
Medalist
i want chiddy to come back and do both hallelujah and dust in the wind flawlessly.... these programs are becoming more and more special to me after this year.... i wish i had good clean versions to look at.... i do agree with skatingfan4ever who mentioned in another thread that patrick's programs don't need to be flawless to be works of art.... but i am greedy ... i want my chiddy cake and I want to eat it.

I feel you! Those are magnificent programs. As far as I know Patrick kept Hallelujah for the Thank You Canada tour so I guess we are going to see it soon :)

Also I desperately NEED Yuzuru to do "Hello I love you" now he's all grown up :pray::pray::pray: Although I'm not sure my poor heart could take it :drama:

Last edited:

rugbyfan

On the Ice

Me too, me too, me too - particularly Dust in the Wind. Can't he just go an record a perfect skate of that for me? I won't even make him compete again; I just want to be able to see it at it's best (P.S. what do you think was his best performance of it? - I know this is off track)