Socks vs. No socks in Edeas? | Golden Skate

Socks vs. No socks in Edeas?

emcnes

Rinkside
Hi everyone, new member but long time reader.

I have recently started skating in edea chorus boots with Jackson legacy blades, and was wearing socks with them. I had a lot of pain on my inner ankle bones while I was skating, though it was bearable and so I pushed it aside chalking it up to having to break in the boots.
After skating in them for a week and not seeing any improvement, I did some research and discovered that edeas aren’t supposed to have a break in period, and was worried that they were too stiff for me (95lbs, 12 1/2, working on axel and passed preliminary mif, getting ready to test pre-juvenile mif- dont know how that transfers to isi and organizations like that). However, when going to skating one day I forgot my socks so I skated barefoot and all my pain magically disappeared, and my skates felt like cinderella’s glass slippers- which brings me to my question. Is there actually a difference between skating with socks vs no socks in terms of fit and feel universally for brands?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I skated sockless in my old Jacksons for a while and while that was more comfortable it basically destroyed the inside of the boot, so I'm quite hesitant to try it with my new Choruses. I might give it a whirl next time.

khi

Rinkside
I'm interested to see the comments here. When I moved to Edeas I had been wearing ski socks in my old (too big) boots, and I didn't have any suitable thin socks and didn't want to skate barefoot, so I just bought a pair of the Edea socks which are some sort of thin synthetic. I wore them for the fitting and onwards. They don't take up much/any room in the skate but now I find that my feet get colder :(

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
I skate in thin compression socks (the same type I was wearing when I was fitted for my Concertos) and I have no pain. It could be that the socks are too thick and compromising the fit, but it's hard to say without knowing what socks you were wearing when they were fitted for you and/or heat molded and what you're wearing now.

Generally, one should always wear the socks they're going to skate in at their fitting so the fit and any heat molding will accommodate that.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
My coach says that skating barefoot is best, but tights are better than socks if you have to wear something.

As for the inner ankle bone pain, I feel you on that one, quite literally. We're about the same weight, although I'm a little below your skill level, and I haven't seen my inner ankle bones without red marks since I started skating again.

EDIT: I was skating in unpadded recreational skates back then. The ankle bone pain stopped as soon as I got appropriate skates. I still could never skate barefoot, though, because my feet sweat too much. :p

mystery905

Rinkside
I've never tried barefoot yet, but might try next time.

I skate with women's 'trouser' socks which are the thinnest option I have found. (I am a male).

Carloucarla

Rinkside
I'm interested to see the comments here. When I moved to Edeas I had been wearing ski socks in my old (too big) boots, and I didn't have any suitable thin socks and didn't want to skate barefoot, so I just bought a pair of the Edea socks which are some sort of thin synthetic. I wore them for the fitting and onwards. They don't take up much/any room in the skate but now I find that my feet get colder :(

I know it’s a bit late, but I had my skates who were too big, but I couldn’t fit in the size below.Then, an edea seller told me to put a bit of cotton in the toe part of the skates, it worked quite well since the cold is trapped in the place where there is no foot

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Try skating in a thin breathable sock and pair it with bunga pads and let us know how you do.

If that doesn't work, you might just skate barefoot but be aware of all of the issues that could and would come of that for your foot and boot.

Best of luck! :)