Protecting My Poor Pinky Toe | Golden Skate

Protecting My Poor Pinky Toe

SmallAminal

On the Ice
Long story short, I got caught walking for about 3 hours last Thursday in the heat and my feet were starting to swell. I was wearing sneakers but a stiffer leather kind (rather than the meshy, stretchy kind). My poor left pinky toe suffered as a result and I ended up with a massive blister under the toenail that was causing a lot of pain due to the pressure underneath the nail. I tried to trim the nail in an effort to help and actually ended up going a little too deep, which caused the skin underneath to separate slightly and burst the blister. It actually helped quite a bit because the pressure was gone; however my toe is still sore and I'm concerned about irritating it further.

I haven't been able to wear anything but completely open sandals since, but I'll be on the ice again starting Wednesday. What can I use to protect my pinky toe nail area without adding a lot of bulk to the boot (which will just put more pressure on it and make things work). In my mind, I was thinking that something that mimics the thinnest piece of memory foam would help.

I have some makeup sponges that I've used for other stuff - however I don't think I'll be able to get it thin enough. Also, how do I keep the material in place - I feel like I'll need to put it on underneath the sock to get it to stay (I am actually going to try wearing thin compression socks instead of my usual Thinnees). I don't think moleskin will do the job because the issue is the nail area, which is hard (unlike skin which is soft).

Any advice would be much appreciated! Hoping my toe is also less sore before Wednesday!

jf12

Final Flight
Have you tried a hydrocolloidal bandage, including the ones they make specifically for blisters? Once you have one on for a while it creates a little air cushion over the blister. For me, nothing works as well as this.

SmallAminal

On the Ice
- - - Updated - - -

Have you tried a hydrocolloidal bandage, including the ones they make specifically for blisters? Once you have one on for a while it creates a little air cushion over the blister. For me, nothing works as well as this.

I have not. I'm not sure I've even heard of this.....would I just look in the regular bandage aisle at the pharmacy for that?

jf12

Final Flight
- - - Updated - - -

I have not. I'm not sure I've even heard of this.....would I just look in the regular bandage aisle at the pharmacy for that?

Yes, one brand name example is 'band aid hydro seal', but there are other brands/types/sizes too.. They're at most pharmacies.