Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: It's Official -- Frank Carroll Retires

7 Not allowed!
    Good bye Uncle Frank, I will miss your rosie cheeks and myriad of gent's hats at the KnC.

Wish it could have worked out better with Mirai and Gracie... but alas... it is already in the past...
    One can only speculate Denis have affected him in a big way... No matter what. Always the legend and irreplaceable.

GS Supporter

7 Not allowed!
    Happy retirement Frank. Whatever anybody says, you brought a lot to the skating world and you will be missed.

Tripping on the Podium louisa05's Avatar

7 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by brightphoton View Post
    Meh, bye Frank

I'll always hold him partly responsible for Gracie's anorexia. When he trained Michelle and her sister in the 90s, he was known for his obsession with low body weight and not eating. If you read newspaper articles from that period, they always said things like "Michelle Kwan is 85 lbs and 4'9" tall blah blah blah"

Then Jenny Kirk developed anorexia and he told her to put off treatment until after the Olympics

When Gracie first trained under him, her weight plummeted, not to mention the yoyoing of her weight afterwards.
    Actually, 85 lbs is right in the middle of the appropriate weight for a 4'9" female. But whatever.

Eating disorders are far more complex than someone merely suggesting to a person that s/he should lose a few pounds or even weight being monitored. If they were that easily triggered every overweight person who ever visited a conscientious doctor who addressed their weight would develop one.

And there is absolutely no evidence that Frank actively starved skaters in the manner of Eteri.

#WeAllWeGot#WeAllWeNeed el henry's Avatar

16 Not allowed!
    I'm a little perturbed at the blame cast on Frank for contributing to or aggravating Gracie's eating disorders.

We have no evidence of that. In fact, the most recent evidence we have shows that Frank was instrumental in *resolving* a skater's eating disorders and encouraging them to a healthy, nutritious diet. In Dice Murakami's retirement video/announcement, he talked about how he starved himself with his previous coach, and when he went to Frank, Frank arranged for Dice to see a nutritionist so Dice could learn healthy eating habits. According to the translation (I neither read nor speak Japanese) Dice credited Frank with saving his skating career.

In fact, I had the occasion to overhear Frank talking to Dice about his programs at a summer comp, and Frank was nothing but respectful and even kind in making his point about what jumps he thought would work better. When Dice disagreed, Frank essentially backed down. Hardly the actions of an all or nothing ogre.

Nor do I want to see quotes from 30 years ago as though Frank is a robot incapable of change or learning new methods of coaching. Such ageism does not go down well with me.

Not every coach is right for every skater. Not every coach is right for every skater throughout their career. But Frank has had a magnificent career and USFS owes him big time. And nothing about Gracie's issues have changed my opinion on that.

Bona Fide Member

5 Not allowed!
    If I'd been a figure skater I'd have gone to Frank for training. Not only has he been a top US coach for decades he's right up there internationally in my mind with Carlo Fossi. I wish him much joy in his retirement.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosa74 View Post
    There are several comments from him about Denis in this Phil Hersh article.
    Thank you very much.

On the Ice

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by brightphoton View Post
    Meh, bye Frank

I'll always hold him partly responsible for Gracie's anorexia. When he trained Michelle and her sister in the 90s, he was known for his obsession with low body weight and not eating. If you read newspaper articles from that period, they always said things like "Michelle Kwan is 85 lbs and 4'9" tall blah blah blah"

Then Jenny Kirk developed anorexia and he told her to put off treatment until after the Olympics

When Gracie first trained under him, her weight plummeted, not to mention the yoyoing of her weight afterwards.
    The media at the time did this with every athlete in sports like skating or diving or gymnastics etc. It used to flash on the TV screen under their name even (Sally C - 5”0, 90, Hometown- Toyland, etc...).
    I think they stressed it to give the 4 year fans another reason to tune in, “hey look at this girl/guy, they can do all this crazy stuff even though they’re SO tiny!!”.
    It stopped soon after - definitely by the 04 Games and I would bet the 02 ones and maybe even 00 - height only would be mentioned.
    Written articles are another matter of course but the TV thing was really just a sign of the times.

Rinkside

0 Not allowed!
    So sad for figure skating. He will be missed!

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset skylark's Avatar

7 Not allowed!
    Evan Lysacek flew from New York to take Frank out to dinner and celebrate his retirement. That says so much about two very classy gentlemen!

I will enjoy thinking of Frank developing his talent, practice, and interest in art again ... after, oh, say, a 60-year hiatus. Sketching, painting.

Thank you for posting this link and creating the thread, attyfan. Frank Carroll is worthy of his own thread. I remember a comment in his TSL interview; he said that after Linda Fratianne and 1980 olympics, "I thought I was done with figure skating." But then, a skater sought him out who picqued his interest, so we had Michelle's career, and Evan's, Denis' and so many others.

Quote Originally Posted by attyfan View Post
    The legend who coached skaters to World titles and Oly medals under all three judging systems (i.e., figures; 6.0 after elimination of figures; and CoP) has called it a career:

https://www.ifsmagazine.com/frank-carroll-retires/

Tripping on the Podium

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by skylark View Post
    Evan Lysacek flew from New York to take Frank out to dinner and celebrate his retirement. That says so much about two very classy gentlemen!
    Very nice indeed!

5 Not allowed!
    I think it is important to note that Gracie does not hold Frank responsible for the struggles she faced. She recently posted on instagram an Olympic Day post where she said that olympic day is about all the people who got them to where they are and she posted a series of photos that included Frank and Alex.

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns Lester's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    I don't think anyone can make you get anorexia. Restrict your diet, certainly, but anorexia is partly a psychological issue.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2