New custom skates a bit too big? | Golden Skate

New custom skates a bit too big?

nebbalish

Rinkside
Hi! Long time lurker posting for the first time with an issue with the fit of my new custom skates. I’m local to SP-Teri and on the advice of my coach, sprung for custom SP-Teri boots. They cost a pretty penny and after weeks of waiting I finally got them this week! I went on the ice with them for the first time yesterday and my one big concern is that my heel doesn’t feel as secure as my old skates.

I’m meeting with my coach tomorrow morning and I’m going to ask him to take a look, but I am wondering about what is the protocol when it comes to asking for these types of adjustments for a custom boot? Are they able to reshape it with heat moulding or would there be a case where they have to re-do the entire boot?

I’m also not sure if it’s the case that the new boot (stiffness rated for single axel) is so stiff right now that I’m just not lacing it right enough.

Would love any insight or suggestions! Thanks :)

Nimyue

On the Ice
Definitely take the issue to SP-Teri. They should sort it out. Since you're local you don't even have to mail them.

SmallAminal

On the Ice
I would take the boot back to Sp-Teri and try them on there - demonstrate to them what the problem is and see if there is a fix (could be lacing, could be a construction issue). They should be willing to help you resolve the problem reasonably.

When you say your "heel doesn't feel as secure", do you mean that it is slipping up and down (a real problem!) or that you just don't feel like its as tight? If its the former, its definitely something that requires immediate fixing. If it is the latter, perhaps you just need to get used to the fit of your new boots.

Also, did you have them heat molded already? Perhaps that will help with the fit, if you haven't done it initially.

I agree that your coach should take a look as well, although many coaches will defer to fitters on these matters.

jf12

Final Flight
Third on taking them back and asking them to fix them!! If it's your first pair of custom boots from any particular maker, its more common to have some small issues than not to.

nebbalish

Rinkside
When you say your "heel doesn't feel as secure", do you mean that it is slipping up and down (a real problem!) or that you just don't feel like its as tight? If its the former, its definitely something that requires immediate fixing. If it is the latter, perhaps you just need to get used to the fit of your new boots.

Definitely the former -- when I was trying three turns yesterday, I felt my heel lift up a bit. And when I look down at my skates, I can see a that there's a lot of room around my ankles (almost like how an Edea would fit...except I'm not wearing Edeas! :slink:)

I just hope it's not something where they'll have to re-make the entire boot. I don't think they'll charge me or anything, but just the prospect of not being able to skate in properly-fitting boots for another month or so makes me so sad!

edit: I'll also add that the new boots are just roomier in general for my entire foot. I tried on the boots when I picked them up at SP-Teri yesterday (they punched out the ankles for me) and pointed out that I can wiggle my big and second toe in both feet. The arches are hugged pretty snug though.

- - - Updated - - -

Third on taking them back and asking them to fix them!! If it's your first pair of custom boots from any particular maker, its more common to have some small issues than not to.

Oh that really makes me feel better! Are you speaking from experience? What issues did you find in your first pair?

jf12

Final Flight
Definitely the former -- when I was trying three turns yesterday, I felt my heel lift up a bit. And when I look down at my skates, I can see a that there's a lot of room around my ankles (almost like how an Edea would fit...except I'm not wearing Edeas! :slink:)

I just hope it's not something where they'll have to re-make the entire boot. I don't think they'll charge me or anything, but just the prospect of not being able to skate in properly-fitting boots for another month or so makes me so sad!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh that really makes me feel better! Are you speaking from experience? What issues did you find in your first pair?

It wasn't me, but it was my ice dance partner who got custom Harlicks. One boot was perfect and the other one was pressing into a tendon over the ankle. It could be that his above-ankle tendon was just slightly different on each foot and it wasn't noticeable beforehand. They told him it was a common issue, and knew exactly what to do, punched out a narrow thin channel above the ankle on the side.

Nimyue

On the Ice
From what I understand they keep a file so that the next time you order they keep track of any changes they had to make.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Take them back to SP Teri and have them observe you with them on etc.

nebbalish

Rinkside
Take them back to SP Teri and have them observe you with them on etc.

I'm going to be doing that this weekend. I met with my coach today and had him observe me skating around, and he agreed that they should put in more padding around the heels to lock them in and that the blades need to be re-aligned as well, as he observed that my edges are very wonky right now.

With the amount of money I paid for these boots, they really need to fit well. I'm just annoyed that I have to keep going down to South San Francisco, but c'est la vie I guess.

Thanks to everybody for their help!

treesprite

Final Flight
At least it isn't Canada. My boots had to be sent back twice to Jackson. I was fitted in June 2017 and got properly fitting boots in January 2018.

nebbalish

Rinkside
At least it isn't Canada. My boots had to be sent back twice to Jackson. I was fitted in June 2017 and got properly fitting boots in January 2018.

Yikes! I can't imagine waiting that long for properly fitting boots

I went back to SP-Teri today and got my blades re-mounted per my coach's observations during my lesson and got a cute strip of fur added to the back of the skates to help with the fit of the heel -- all free of charge. George also told me that as the boot breaks in, the toe area expands but the foot is actually drawn up into the heel so it should hug snugger as I break them in. I'll monitor how my boots feel and we agreed that if there's still wiggle room in the heel area, they'll take the boot in for a few days and compress it.