How to Tie Edea Skates Properly (tutorial) | Golden Skate

How to Tie Edea Skates Properly (tutorial)

Arwen17

Final Flight
Because this question gets asked SO MUCH online, I've created a tutorial video on how I lace my Edea skates: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM-n5B_LsFw

The heel should be locked into place, despite loose ankles.

NOTE: if you do NOT have Edea skates, this tutorial does NOT apply to you. Edea skates are very, very different from any other brand of skates. That's why they require special instructions on how to lace them.

The first couple months in Edea were really rough and I hated them. But when I finally figured out how to tie them correctly, got the arch inserts in the right place, and as my ankles got stronger, things finally worked out and I love them now.
Hopefully, this tutorial will help others navigate their transition to Edea more smoothly.

Feel free to share this tutorial video any time someone posts the usual question of "omg the ankles are so loose! I can't skate in Edea!"

sk8chis

On the Ice
do you recommend the heat molding for the sides of the boots? my inner ankle bone has been taking bruisings and gets some dead skin (sorry tmi) after a session. personally i’m a tough cookie and have had terrible break in periods before. besides the inner ankle bone on my right and sometimes left if i accidentally tie my laces too tight, my edeas have been great. the first time i got them i had to get off the ice like every 20 mins and sometimes my feet went numb but i think that was due to incorrect lacing.

i wonder if i should just save the hassle and get heatmolding or get gel disks and use them for the meantime

mystery905

Rinkside
do you recommend the heat molding for the sides of the boots? my inner ankle bone has been taking bruisings and gets some dead skin (sorry tmi) after a session. personally i’m a tough cookie and have had terrible break in periods before. besides the inner ankle bone on my right and sometimes left if i accidentally tie my laces too tight, my edeas have been great. the first time i got them i had to get off the ice like every 20 mins and sometimes my feet went numb but i think that was due to incorrect lacing.

i wonder if i should just save the hassle and get heatmolding or get gel disks and use them for the meantime

Try having the sides punched out.

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland

I had a similar problem and had the sides punched out and had them heat molded by hand in the same spot and now the pain is completely gone.

Arwen17

Final Flight
What the others said. I had to get mine punched out (heatmolded) by Edea to make room for bone on both sides of my ankles, my navicular bone, and give my pinkie toes a bit more room.

thesoundofice

Rinkside
Arwen17, thank you for posting this video.. I didn't have problems tying my new boots( Chorus). I already knew about the great ankle motion it provides. But I checked your video to see if I had donne everything correctly :)
Am I the only one here who felt like those boots were shaped for my feet? The first time on ice they didn't hurt at all. I couldn't believe it! I thought about all the pain and bruises that my old skates (Graf) had caused while I was breaking them in. So I wondered if I had done sonething wrong. That's why I watched your video :)