Times Figure Skating Has Been Useful | Golden Skate

Times Figure Skating Has Been Useful

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Has there ever been a time in your daily life when a figure skating move or something you knew about skating or a skater has come in handy?

Tell your stories here!

hanyuufan5

Medalist
I just basically did a camel spin position to pet two cats that I couldn't reach with my hands. I pet the one on the table with my foot, and leaned down and pet the one on the floor with my hand. I've also used a similar position to pet one with each hand and a third with a foot. Now I just need to learn to do that on the ice while spinning!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Music round of trivia nights. Do you know how often warhorses show up in those?

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jeopardy clues/questions when there's a skating category, identifying music on the radio, attending classical concerts that have included music that has been skated to, casual fans asking me who to watch for during the Olympics ...

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
In general, figure skating, following the discipline is a pretty 'unique' interest where I live, it gets a lot of curiosity in my workplace from my colleagues:laugh:. So I don't know, if it helps in something, but it definitely grabs an interest from my experience: people at work really like to know about costumes, jumps, scoring system, then comparing it with other disciplines. It also comes in handy with music - I recognize now a lot more classical pieces/warhorse-y music due to FS watching;)

Ducky

On the Ice
Music round of trivia nights. Do you know how often warhorses show up in those?

I'm super jealous because the host of my local's trivia night has told me there will never ever be a classical music round.

It came in handy during the Olympics because I ended up explaining the scoring system and how to identify jumps to a lot of people at the bar.

rikaquegira

On the Ice
Figure skating adds a lot of knowledge about music, cinema, theater, ballet... It brings culture. I think every knowledge is useful, it's important and it can be useful at some point in life.
I don't have a specific case though... :think:
Oh, not that it counts for this thread, I think... but I watched Brooklyn 99 on Netflix and I think some writer must love figure skating because they mentioned Michelle Kwan twice! Once they even mentioned very specifically.. I don't remember what was the conversation exactly, but they're talking about losing or something, and the guy says "she fell! TWICE!" :laugh:
The other time I don't remember anything, but I know they mention Kwan. :laugh:

hanyuufan5

Medalist
Basically just did a 3-turn to avoid colliding with someone at the market. :laugh:

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
On an away trip for work earlier this year, we had a trivia night at the hotel we were staying at and I managed to avoid our table from coming last when they asked 2 figure skating questions I was able to answer right away. 1) Who was the 1998 Ladies Olympic champion and 2) What year did Torvill and Dean win Olympic gold and bonus point for host city :)

hanyuufan5

Medalist
Ran top-speed through a huge puddle that had not been that deep on the way over to where I was coming back from.

Spent the next 10 minutes holding my soaking wet feet up to the hand dryer in the bathroom. Thank goodness I've been practicing my Y-spiral position lately...