Boot/Blade Advice for Returning Teen Skater | Golden Skate

Boot/Blade Advice for Returning Teen Skater

goji

Spectator
My 13yo daughter would like return to skating after several years off the ice. I'm looking to get her a pair of skates and am hoping that some of you kind folks might be willing to share some advice...

Backstory: About 4 years ago, she was taking lessons and starting to land an axel. Her coach had her upgrade her Riedells (which never fit very well) to Harlicks, which were her personal brand, with Legacy blades. DD ended up switching sports later that year, so a lucky friend was gifted a very nice pair of skates. She's only skated a few times since then.

Last month DD went to a skating party wearing my old Klingbeils with Gold Star blades, which I used and loved long ago before having kids. Despite having never been on my skates, she was landing flip jumps within an hour of hitting the ice and asked to go skate some more the next day. Her back crossovers around the rink were surprisingly strong, and she looked quite fearless about trying to find her old skills.

Our local skate shop only carries Jackson and recommended the Freestyle boot/blade combo; they also have the Debut Fusion boot. I'm new to the whole microfiber boot thing, but the tongues didn't have nicely finished edges and look like might not wear well. They did seem lighter, though. DD said she wasn't sure about the fit - they just felt very different, so we decided to hold off on buying them. I suspect they'd feel better after breaking in.

Also, DD had a fairly serious sprain a year ago and can't afford to be re-injured, so not having a sufficiently supportive boot is definitely a concern. Her feet haven't grown in the past year, though the rest of her definitely has :) Feet are narrow in the heel, wider across the toes, and her arch is low to medium. She is naturally athletic, weighs 115 lb., and has done gymnastics and dance.

Lastly, is there a less expensive blade that feels like the Gold Star? I think that might make the transition to new skates easier for her (and I could have my old skates back). I don't mind getting her good equipment that feels good and am hoping the skates will last a good long time. Thank you in advance for any advice!!

Sibelius

On the Ice
Hi There,

You are absolutely correct about the Debut tongue. My 10 year old skater (72 lbs) has been in them for about 7 months and the tongue edges are deteriorating, but the boot is otherwise is perfect shape, not broken down at all.

That said, we are actually getting her another wider pair that was recommended by Sp-Teri when we went for a fitting. George, the owner who fit her said she didn't fit in his "stock boots" (she's a double combo width) and would need a full ($800+) custom. He told us he didn't think she really needed those just yet if she was doing well in her Jacksons. She should get another year out of the Debut (depending on her doubles) and then into Sp-Teri's at that point most likely.

The Debut comes in Standard (what mine has) and Firm. Jackson rates them for singles, but George was really surprised at how stiff they were. He told us they would easily be stiff enough to take her into early doubles which she is starting now. The next up in the Jackson line is the Premiere which is rated much stiffer, and then the Elite which is stiffer still, but really nice and very light. Best is to get to a good fitter(s) and try on everything they have. We like Jacksons because they fit her foot (also narrow heel and wide ball), are reasonably well made for the money and amount of time she spends in them, usually 9 months until she outgrows them. Edea boots are very popular at our rink, especially on the high level skaters, but they don't fit everyone (our fitter says mine would never fit because of the narrow heel she has). My skater tried on Riedells and gave me this face :disapp:. Risports are often recommended here, but I've never seen one in the wild. Our skaters are in Edea, Riedell, Jackson, Sp-Teri and Harlick. We also visited Harlick for a fitting and were impressed with them, but feel Sp-Teri is our way forward (her coach and all her coach's other skaters are in them at double loop). We were thinking of visiting Avanta (former Klingbeil), but when we found out they start at about $1100 we said nay nay.

As far as blades, her coach recommended she get a Gold Seal/Gold Star at first ($579), but after consultations all of us, coach, fitter, check writer (me) decided the Wilson Coronation Ace ($229) would be just fine for another year into doubles. MK also has a similar blade, the MK Pro, as do Eclipse (Aurora) and Ultima (Legacy, now comes in a 7' rocker like the Gold Star)

Good luck and I'm envious your skater's feet have stopped growing, we have another 3 years to go, and soon at $1500 boot and blade costs, I'm looking like this :disapp:

goji

Spectator
Thanks, Sibelius - that's super helpful! Especially good to know that the Debut Fusion boots are that supportive and are likely to fit her foot shape. I wonder if my DD should go with the Firm version since she's quite a bit heavier than yours. I imagine skater weight must make a difference, and I remember breaking down a pair of Harlick$ in about 8 months. Ouch, that was painful.

Good call about the blades. Skating is so tough because we can't try out these things before committing to them.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
She'll definitely need a good coach if she wants to make a full return, and should ask him/her about the skates. Jackson is good for narrow heels with wider toes.

I think that's a very good sign if she was landing flips within the hour. It could mean that she'll exceed her former level quite quickly.

Sibelius

On the Ice
Thanks, Sibelius - that's super helpful! Especially good to know that the Debut Fusion boots are that supportive and are likely to fit her foot shape. I wonder if my DD should go with the Firm version since she's quite a bit heavier than yours. I imagine skater weight must make a difference, and I remember breaking down a pair of Harlick$ in about 8 months. Ouch, that was painful.

Good call about the blades. Skating is so tough because we can't try out these things before committing to them.

We thought we’d go up to the firm, but George said no need for my little one. In terms of numbers, Standard is a 40, Firm is a 50, but those don’t tell much of the story. I think if it came down to it for mine I’d skip the Premiere and go straight to the Elite, the Jackson numbers are close, 65 vs 75 (how reflective they actually are I don’t know, the Elite I saw was rock hard) and it comes standard with the LCF sole. I don’t know if that would be too much boot for yours or not, and i don’t know how long the Debut firm would last her, both in terms of skill and break down. It’s been a great boot so far except for the tongue issue.

And just one last comment, our customer service with Jackson has been outstanding. If I was worried about that tongue issue they would have probably replaced the boot. They replace a skate she had that the lace hook broke on.

Welcome back to her, and best of luck!