Lacebite/tendon/nerve troubles | Golden Skate

Lacebite/tendon/nerve troubles

bunnybarista

If I risk it all, could you break my fall?~
On the Ice
Hey there! I've posted once before, so a quick re-introduction: adult skater, been skating for 5 months, skating about 3 times a week, in LTS classes with occasional private lessons. I have developed some kind of nerve/tendon irritation which has been present for many months (probably almost from the start), but I only recently realized it could be serious. This realization came when parts of my feet became numb two weeks ago and remained numb for several days even when I wasn't skating. The numbness has gone away by now, but my frantic researching has led me to conclude that the slightly weird sensation I've been ignoring all these months might be some kind of nerve damage. (It was never painful, just kind of uncomfortable when something would touch it, like the strap of a sandal running right across it.)

If I tap the nerves/tendons on the top of my foot, by the ankle, it sends a tingle all the way down through the foot. (Tinel's sign, apparently. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinel%27s_sign) I've asked three different coaches what might be causing it, and have received varying answers. Some suggest lace bite, and others suggest a shift in my bones. They all agree that it sounds like some kind of nerve pinching / entrapment, but they disagree on how serious it is. I am not in any pain when I skate, but it's uncomfortable and tingly when I tap the top of my foot. I wear Silipos gel ankle sleeves, but I didn't when I first started skating and it's possible that this lack of protection caused the original damage.

I have gotten the contact information for a reputable skating podiatrist, and will attempt to meet with him shortly. In the meantime, I would love to hear if anyone else has had problems like this and can offer insight. I don't tie my skates particularly tightly, but there is still quite a lot of pressure going across the top of the foot and the ankle crease. And for what it's worth, there isn't any swelling/redness on my foot/ankle. (I'm taking that as a good sign right now.)

Thanks! :)

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
You need to consult a orthopedist and/or a podiatist. Good luck!

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I’m sorry I have no experience with this, but I agree with Ic3Rabbit. Don’t try to diagnose yourself. See a doctor. In your shoes, I would start by seeing my primary care doctor and asking for a referral, rather than assuming I needed a podiatrist.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Agreed that you need to consult a medical professional, but please don't assume that you had nerve pain but ignored it. You really might not have. You have been in your body all this time. Google has not.

I have really messed up posture, and Google would lead one to believe that someone with my plethora of muscle imbalances should be incapacitated, not rapidly improving her toe loops. But I don't have any real pain at all, just some weird discomfort in one knee that is easily fixed by a few stretches. So, definitely ask a doctor, not Google. The doctor I saw actually recommended skating as much as possible to FIX my problems, so you never know!

bunnybarista

On the Ice
Agreed that you need to consult a medical professional, but please don't assume that you had nerve pain but ignored it. You really might not have. You have been in your body all this time. Google has not.

I have really messed up posture, and Google would lead one to believe that someone with my plethora of muscle imbalances should be incapacitated, not rapidly improving her toe loops. But I don't have any real pain at all, just some weird discomfort in one knee that is easily fixed by a few stretches. So, definitely ask a doctor, not Google. The doctor I saw actually recommended skating as much as possible to FIX my problems, so you never know!

Yeah, google is definitely the worst place for diagnosing anything (answer to anything: you have cancer! :eeking:) but perhaps I should clarify what I meant - I have had this sensation/pain the whole time, but it was only after googling my numbness that I realized the "pain" I'd had for all these months (not enough to bother me) was likely something I ought to be concerned about.

I have no desire to diagnose myself either, and am seeking advice from a medical professional soon. (I can only hope to be as lucky as you and be told that skating more will help me! That would be the dream haha.) But in the meantime, I thought others might have encountered this or be able to describe their own "lacebite" issues. It had been my belief that lacebite was more of a chafing / rubbing on the skin, but several coaches said the term can cover nerve damage. :scratch2:

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Yeah, google is definitely the worst place for diagnosing anything (answer to anything: you have cancer! :eeking:) but perhaps I should clarify what I meant - I have had this sensation/pain the whole time, but it was only after googling my numbness that I realized the "pain" I'd had for all these months (not enough to bother me) was likely something I ought to be concerned about.

I have no desire to diagnose myself either, and am seeking advice from a medical professional soon. (I can only hope to be as lucky as you and be told that skating more will help me! That would be the dream haha.) But in the meantime, I thought others might have encountered this or be able to describe their own "lacebite" issues. It had been my belief that lacebite was more of a chafing / rubbing on the skin, but several coaches said the term can cover nerve damage. :scratch2:

Oh, okay, sorry for misunderstanding! That is so true about Google saying everything is cancer. :laugh:

Good luck! I hope you will be as lucky! Now if only I could get my insurance to cover freestyle sessions as physical therapy... :laugh:

likevelvet

#Bless this mess
On the Ice
Country
United-States
I have an issue sort of similar to this with my right foot, which has been the subject of multiple repeat sprains over my time skating. I also have plantar fasciitis in that foot which gives me arch pain along with a tingly foot if I lace wrong, lol. Definitely recommend seeing a doctor, but one thing I've done for a while is skip certain holes in lacing my boots. It relieves pressure over areas of my foot that are sensitive and gives more flexion room my extremely high arch. It's helped a lot.

theoreticalgirl

Rinkside
Yes, do see a doctor for a correct diagnosis. Question for the OP: Are you renting skates or do you have your own pair?

bunnybarista

On the Ice
Oh, okay, sorry for misunderstanding! That is so true about Google saying everything is cancer. :laugh:

Good luck! I hope you will be as lucky! Now if only I could get my insurance to cover freestyle sessions as physical therapy... :laugh:

Thank you! lol that would be lovely - you might be able to convince someone :biggrin:

I have an issue sort of similar to this with my right foot, which has been the subject of multiple repeat sprains over my time skating. I also have plantar fasciitis in that foot which gives me arch pain along with a tingly foot if I lace wrong, lol. Definitely recommend seeing a doctor, but one thing I've done for a while is skip certain holes in lacing my boots. It relieves pressure over areas of my foot that are sensitive and gives more flexion room my extremely high arch. It's helped a lot.

I did briefly experiment with a different kind of lacing, but it was clumsy/awkward and just left me slipping around and not really feeling any relief. I may have to circle back around to try more lacing patterns. You don't happen to have a link / picture of how you were lacing yours?

Yes, do see a doctor for a correct diagnosis. Question for the OP: Are you renting skates or do you have your own pair?

I have my own pair - Jackson Artistes, bought brand new from a very reputable fitter. Been skating in them for 4 out of 5 months. (The first month I was skating in a pair of skates with no padding really - one of those crappy "American" skates. It's possible that the damage occurred in these boots before I switched to real figure skates.)

vlaurend

Final Flight
This is probably irrelevant to your particular issue, but it's also worth noting that there is a vein that runs right over the top of the foot and tying your boots too tightly over the instep (the middle of the foot) can press against this vein and cut off circulation to the foot. When tying your skates, tie snugly in the toes, then point your feet a little as you tighten the laces over the instep so that they aren't too tight on that spot.

likevelvet

#Bless this mess
On the Ice
Country
United-States
I did briefly experiment with a different kind of lacing, but it was clumsy/awkward and just left me slipping around and not really feeling any relief. I may have to circle back around to try more lacing patterns. You don't happen to have a link / picture of how you were lacing yours?

I just laced a boot up the exact way I tie when they're on my feet to show you. :) I was in Edeas till recently but switched back, so I'm in a Jackson too and skated Jackson my whole life before I went to Edea. This is how I've been tying up my boots since I was 14 or so.

https://imgur.com/a/WzrCEth

bunnybarista

On the Ice
This is probably irrelevant to your particular issue, but it's also worth noting that there is a vein that runs right over the top of the foot and tying your boots too tightly over the instep (the middle of the foot) can press against this vein and cut off circulation to the foot. When tying your skates, tie snugly in the toes, then point your feet a little as you tighten the laces over the instep so that they aren't too tight on that spot.

I think I've done that once or twice and came off the ice with "cold" feet and realized I'd been cutting off circulation - I've tried to be very mindful of how I tie the instep section since then. But I agree that it's unlikely to be connected to my nerve/tendon issues as it's a different part of the foot.

I just laced a boot up the exact way I tie when they're on my feet to show you. :) I was in Edeas till recently but switched back, so I'm in a Jackson too and skated Jackson my whole life before I went to Edea. This is how I've been tying up my boots since I was 14 or so.

https://imgur.com/a/WzrCEth

Thank you for taking the time to show me how you tie yours - I really appreciate it! I'm trying to figure out what you're doing right at the ankle crease - are you skipping one set before the hooks? Or just going up instead of crossing over the first time? (I'm realizing I don't have the terminology to describe lacing properly, sorry! :confused2:) Do you ever find that your heel slips around too much because of that?

ETA: I tried lacing up a skate the way you showed just now (minus the toe part because I'm too lazy to unlace all the way right now hah) - does the ankle look right? https://imgur.com/a/q46GCQX

Christina Lea

Spectator
Hi Bunnybarista,

I’m experiencing similar symptoms. Would be so grateful if you could share how you went with yours? Did you symptoms abate with treatment/rest?

Thanks so much,
Christina ☺️