Help? | Golden Skate

Help?

figuresk8rr

Spectator
Hey everyone:) I was wondering if anyone has any tips for me. My problem is when I skate, tend to stick my butt out BAD:( no matter how hard I try to get my butt under me, it doesn’t work. This problem really has a negative affect on my skating skills... Help?

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Sounds like an anterior pelvic tilt. Different things can cause that, so you should probably get it checked out by a doctor or physical therapist or personal trainer.

jf12

Final Flight
This is a really common problem in skating, it’s the case in 80% of all beginners. Most people learn not to do it as they get more comfortable on the ice. A lot of people find it natural to bend their knees but not their ankles.. can you bend your ankles really easily in your skates, are they too stiff or are you tying them too tight at the top?

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
Hey everyone:) I was wondering if anyone has any tips for me. My problem is when I skate, tend to stick my butt out BAD:( no matter how hard I try to get my butt under me, it doesn’t work. This problem really has a negative affect on my skating skills... Help?

This is super common. If it's not a musculoskeletal issue, I'd recommend working on core strength and correcting your posture off the ice as well. Ballet classes can be very helpful with that as the alignment of your upper body in relation to the pelvis is similar to what you want while skating. Ballet also helps with building the strength and stability through the core and legs to maintain proper position on the ice.

Ange

Rinkside
I agree with everyone else :) I just thought I would re-emphasise how important it is to bend at your ankles so your leg is pushing into the tongue of the boot rather than through the knees in a 'sitting' position - this is what the coaches mean when they say bend your knees. This is what I got wrong when I was first starting out. Then it is a matter of core and leg strength - being able to activate the core and tuck the bottom in, while having the strength to hold yourself up on one leg. Good luck!

Arpakasso

Rinkside
as said above, core strength is what this usually is about. meaning: back and abdominal muscles may be undertrained or trained in wrong proportions. Ballet is all about keeping posture, which is exactly what trains these muscle groups. but if ballet is not for you, there is core training nowadays (I laughed a lot at all the "new" stuff they invented - as most of it is traditional ballet routine watered down to not look like dancing...), and if that doesn't work for you or is not available, even gym training can work perfectly well. as with everything: it helps a lot to have instructions from someone who actually has a clue and can work with your specific problem. which can also mean: getting a physiotherapist to look at you might prove beneficial, they know a lot about these issues.
if you would say that training alone won't cut it, as you did that already: contact a doctor and have them check you. they might find a reason and you will have an explanation and possibly even a solution.