Which blade should i go for? | Golden Skate

Which blade should i go for?

GracieGoldIsBAE

Rinkside
I have been figure skating for a few months only and i only had two 1-hour lesson so far.

I'm about to order my first pair of real skates, but i can't decide which blade i should go for.

The ONLY fitter in my entire country sells Edea/Jackson boots, and Ultima/Wilson blades.

Right now, in my trash recreational boots with tiny toepicks i'm able to do:
-Waltz, Salchow, Toe Loop, Half flip, and all entries for other jumps, but cant land them safely.
-2 foot spin, back scratch spin
-Mohawks, 3turns, Loops, About 4-5 twizzles, Right inside rocker
-Chinese Spiral, Shot the duck, Ina Bauer, Spread eagle, and the thing where i lift my left leg up (haha forgot its name)

Cause i'm a "heavy jumper" and i'm not a little girl (17 yo guy, 65 KG and 175 cm) im gonna get the Choruses. A girl at my rink has a 270D one, and i tried them on. They fit like socks, seriously. Also, i have problems with my right ankle, so the extra support is going to help me.

But i can't decide which blade to get.
My budget is very low, im gonna pay for all of this, and i only have a part-time job. I also have to pay for ice time, sharpenings, public transport tickets, lessons, new laces, etc.

My dream would be Coronation Ace, but i won't have enough money for that, and the season starts soon.

So, the 2 options are the Ultima Aspire XP or the Legacy 7'.

Im afraid to get the Aspire XP because it has a 8' rocker. And yeah, i have struggles finding the sweet spot during spins, so the 8' wouldn't be optional. But on the other hand, i inline skate a lot, and cause of that, i have a bad habit of tumbling on my own toepicks. The Legacy 7' has larger picks than the Aspire XP, so id do less unintentional flips on the Aspire XP.

So what do you think... Worse spins or more adjustment time til i stop tumbling?

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
(a) What country are you in? In the US, the Aspire XP sells for ~$100, the Legacy 7 for ~$200 and the Coronation Ace for ~$220. What are the prices in your country?

(b) The sweet spot is not primarily defined by the radius of the main rocker; it is primarily defined by the profile of the spin rocker and the placement and configuration of the drag pick. E.g., the Wilson Gold Seal has a sharply defined sweet spot, but it also has an 8' radius main rocker. Note that the original Legacy (still a current model) has an 8' radius main rocker, whereas the recently-introduced Legacy 7 has a 7' radius main rocker; so if you go with the Legacy, you have a choice of main rocker radius. You should check with Ultima or your skate tech whether the spin rocker and the picks on the two Legacy models are the same or not and how they compare with those on the Aspire XP before making a decision.

(c) Note that the profile of the spin rocker and the placement of the drag pick has a stronger effect than the size per se of the drag pick on how easily you trip on the pick.

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Kinzie’s Closet has the Eclipse Mist blade on clearance for $99 - it’s similar in profile to the Coronation Ace. They only have limited sizes available but if they happen to have your size it’s a steal.

You might be able to find a reputable seller on eBay selling new blades for a decent price - I just got a pair of MK Professionals for $75 that way. They were brand new, but the seller got them from a store that went out of business and they were an older, discontinued model. Check eBay for reliable blades like the Coronation Ace, MK Pro, Eclipse Mist or Paramount CA, and maybe you’ll get lucky like I did!

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
I can't give any advice about the blades, but I just want to say that that is amazing progress in such a short time! Keep it up! :cheer: