Ideas for making practice MIF more fun | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ideas for making practice MIF more fun

VegMom

On the Ice
He likes the idea of practicing some moves then doing some jumps or spins then coming back to moves and back and forth. The one sticky part is getting much easier for him and I think it's just not going to be an issue anymore.

It was just getting frustrating because he was really avoiding working on the moves entirely and then starting to try to avoid coach too! Like when you're a high school student and you didn't do your homework so you try to avoid the teachers as much as you can because you don't want to get a lecture about the importance of homework.

It was worrying me because coach gets these ideas in her head about some things and just cannot see another perspective. She tries to be fun and is generally a positive person, but sometimes she gets this idea that more pressure will do the trick, when actually more pressure will just ruin their relationship. It might work short-term but it's a terrible long-term strategy, especially for this kid and this family. We do not use authoritarian parenting methods and definitely not in relation to sports.

Gigi99

Rinkside
Lots of great advice on here...and I can totally relate to the posters on here - whose child STRUGGLES with edges.

As Concorde said: every skater is different!!!!

What's easy for one child is hard for another. What one child enjoys doing...another child might hate.

My DD's edges - are not that good - as she struggles with details. But, she now (at least) acknowledges it and actually wants to work/get better. (Finally).

Her strengths are that - she is very athletic. On and outside of the rink.

So, I guess, we have to take the bitter (edges) with the sweet (athleticism). And, hope edges get better - so she can make full use of her strength.