Edea weird break in | Golden Skate

Edea weird break in

thesoundofice

Rinkside
Hi everyone,
I've recently bought a pair of Edea Chorus boots+ Edea Charme blade.
Yesterday I went skating for the first time. The boots feel quite fine, I skated for 2 hours and I didn't feel ANY pain in my feet (I tried them on at home without walking, just bending a little bit). I had zero problem with the higher heels or the lacing method.
On the ice I felt like I had lost all the progress I made until now. It took me a year to get my singles and my spins back after a long time off the ice.
With my new skates I even struggled with basic forward stroking because I felt like "falling" into a right deep inside edge (support was there though).
In fact even If I tried and tried I couldn't hold properly my RFO and RBO + three turns using the right foot. I didn't jump, and my scratch spins were not that bad because I easily found the spin rocker (size is perfect).
I'd really like to hear from someone who had same/similar experience. The blades are newly sharpened. I don't know if I have to blame it on the boot, due to the strange ankle motion (my ankles aren't that weak), or on the blade( maybe I need repositioning? )
Thank you in advance.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
In addition to the possible causes you've listed, here's another one: your right blade might not have been properly sharpened (e.g., uneven edges).

thesoundofice

Rinkside
Thank you so much for tour help.. I
didn't think about this option, because It's something that's never happened to me.
Now I really don't know what to do..
Can this problem be fixed? Should I have the blade resharpened, or should I skate until the blade wears out a bit? This blades are not comparable to Wilson or MK, but they're good quality blades.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Thank you so much for tour help.. I
didn't think about this option, because It's something that's never happened to me.
Now I really don't know what to do..
Can this problem be fixed? Should I have the blade resharpened, or should I skate until the blade wears out a bit? This blades are not comparable to Wilson or MK, but they're good quality blades.
Just to clarify, I'm not saying that uneven edges is the problem ... just that it is a possible cause. A decent skate tech should have the proper tool (such as hollow depth indicator, edge level gauge, or square) to check how even the edge height is. Some skaters or coaches might have one too; ask around. No one can give you a definitive diagnosis over the net. If they are not sharpened properly, they can be (and should be) corrected by a proper sharpening.

thesoundofice

Rinkside
I'm at the rink now and the problem is still there..I won't be able to go to a pro shop to check the blades until next week .The blades have been sharpened at my rink where figure skating is not that popular( they have a few pairs of old figure skates for rental).
Tstop4me, maybe I was a bit hasty while posting my reply. But the truth is that not being able to skate as I want is really frustrating for me ..I'm afraid to admit to myself that the source of the problem might be me.. As it was last year when I stepped on the ice after years. This is my only nemesis :)

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
I'm at the rink now and the problem is still there..I won't be able to go to a pro shop to check the blades until next week .The blades have been sharpened at my rink where figure skating is not that popular( they have a few pairs of old figure skates for rental).

The last time I had a skate sharpening at my rink (from someone who doesn't specialize in figure skating blades), they did a horrendous job and it really impacted my skating. It could be a blade issue like tstop4me said, either with the sharpening or the mounting. It's impossible for us to tell. If you can, have it checked out by a good skate tech so you can either get it fixed or rule it out as a reason.

vlaurend

Final Flight
The good news is that it's only the right outside edge. . . Right?? That means the boots themselves are fine and the problem must be either the mounting or sharpening of the right blade. OR it's possible that the sole of the right boot is warped, and if so, Edea should replace that boot for you. As soon as the issue with the right side is diagnosed and fixed, you should be able to do everything in the new skates.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Tstop4me, maybe I was a bit hasty while posting my reply. But the truth is that not being able to skate as I want is really frustrating for me ..I'm afraid to admit to myself that the source of the problem might be me.. As it was last year when I stepped on the ice after years. This is my only nemesis :)
Unfortunately, with a problem such as yours, you need to perform systematic Sherlock-Holmes investigative detective work: list all the possible causes you can think of, and then check out each possible cause one-by-one.

You first check out the components individually:

(1) Foot. E.g.: Does your right foot strongly pronate? Is your right foot mis-aligned?

(2) Boot. E.g.: Is the sole or heel deformed?

(3) Blade. E.g.: Is the blade twisted or warped? Is the blade body orthogonal to the sole and heel plates? Are the edges properly sharpened?

Assuming the individual components check out OK, you need to check the correct combination of components; e.g.:

(1) Foot/boot. E.g.: Does your boot fit your foot properly?

(2) Blade/boot. E.g.: Is the blade mounted properly?

(a) If there are problems with your right foot, I would expect that you would know by now. A competent skate tech should suggest any needed corrections such as an appropriate footbed or changing the mounting of the blade.

(b) A competent skate tech should check the boot and blade for defects and reject defective items; or if the defects are minor, repair or modify defective items.

(c) A competent skate tech should mount the blades properly for an initial test fit and make necessary adjustments upon receiving your feedback.

(d) A competent skate tech should sharpen the blades properly and check the sharpening results with proper tools.

As you see, a lot depends on a competent skate tech. If you're not sure about yours, you need to have independent checks by, e.g., another skate tech, a coach, or another skater. Try to have someone show you what to look for.

thesoundofice

Rinkside
Thanks so much for all of your suggestions. I understand it's impossibile for you to rule out the cause of my problem. Anyway you all gave me precious indications about how to deal with it.
The boots feel fine and I still can't believe they don't hurt at all. I think I'll bring the skates to a good pro shop. If the right blade/skate are ok, then I'll investigate other possible causes such as foot issues..

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
What kind of boots were you in before? What everyone else is saying makes sense, but I also want to add that I had a similar experience when I switched to Edeas. I hated them. I've been skating for 20+ years and had my doubles and in the Edeas, I was skating like someone on a learn to skate session. They got better the second time out as I got used to them, but I decided I wasn't willing to put that time in and ditched them for Riedell. Not saying that you should change brands, but it is entirely possible that it's a learning curve with the new boots as Edeas have quite a different feel from other skates.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
What kind of boots were you in before? What everyone else is saying makes sense, but I also want to add that I had a similar experience when I switched to Edeas. I hated them. I've been skating for 20+ years and had my doubles and in the Edeas, I was skating like someone on a learn to skate session. They got better the second time out as I got used to them, but I decided I wasn't willing to put that time in and ditched them for Riedell. Not saying that you should change brands, but it is entirely possible that it's a learning curve with the new boots as Edeas have quite a different feel from other skates.
If it's just a matter of getting used to a different make/model boot, we would expect problems with both boots, not just the right.

thesoundofice

Rinkside
Before Edeas I had an old pair of Grafs that had become my slippers. They were very stiff when they were new,so breaking them in had been a nightmare.It's true that Edeas feel different,but that doesn't bother me. Support is there and I feel it. Even if one might think the contrary ,due to the"loose ankles" feeling they give you. The boots were fine, they didn't hurt at all. I was really impressed because that's something that's never happened to me.

thesoundofice

Rinkside
Hi everyone,
I just wanted to let you know that I went to a pro shop today. The tech found out that the right blade hasn't been sharped properly. So he resharpened them and now everything should be ok. I will never ever let the guy at my rink touch my blades anymore :)

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Hi everyone,
I just wanted to let you know that I went to a pro shop today. The tech found out that the right blade hasn't been sharped properly. So he resharpened them and now everything should be ok. I will never ever let the guy at my rink touch my blades anymore :)
Hey, that's good news. Glad that the root cause was the simplest to correct.