Male Skaters' Clothing | Golden Skate

Male Skaters' Clothing

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Just curious... how do male skaters not overheat? I always see them practicing in long or short sleeves, and their costumes are usually long-sleeved. Is it because females usually have more body fat to keep us warm? Or do they overheat and they just ignore it? I'd melt the whole rink in their practice-wear/costumes! :laugh:

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I'm not sure that they DON'T overheat! :)

I think it depends on the rink and the skater. My rink gets nicely warm in the summer months. I'm a lady and within 15 minutes of working on my skating moves, I sweat. Both guys and ladies at my rink sometimes work out in tank tops. And in summer, unprepared tourists even skate in shorts!

Competition outfits are a different story and on closeups at televised events, underarm sweat can be seen on men's shirts - especially if it's made of a satiny material. I have noticed over the years that there are less sleeves on the ladies costumes, maybe partially due to the ceiling lights at big events directing heat downward. The men can't quite get away with sleeveless design, although I have seen sleeveless shirts / costumes on occasion and used in the gala event routines.

Sam L

Medalist
Depends on the rink, a couple I go to are freezing even in summer and also one I go to really early in the morning. There’s another one I used to go to it used to be cold but now it’s too hot especially in summer, once you’re warmed up and done some jumps I’m literally sweating. Which means underarm sweat. I don’t like short sleeves no matter how warm as if you fall with short sleeves you can scrape the skin and I don’t like that.

VegMom

On the Ice
My son is often cold at competition. I think it’s nervousness and short practice times that keep him less warm. I expect that may change in the future as he ages. But right now he often wears an under layer to stay warm. Costumes are very thin material.

Sk8DSmom

Rinkside
My son layers thin athletic breathable performance/technical wear -usually in the summer a short sleeve, long sleeve and a warmup type jacket if needed. In the winter at least 2+ additional layers including a thicker long sleeve + warmup type jacket +vest (on really cold days). Our rink is freezing in the winter.
Competition wear -he's happy when he gets 3/4 or long sleeve shirt. Otherwise we hear him complaining about short sleeve. When he was younger, he would sometimes wear a thin short sleeve under his outfits.

Arwen17

Final Flight
Female skater here.
I wear a T-shirt and club jacket. I’m constantly taking the jacket on and off. I usually do sweat and get too hot, especially if I’m working on stuff like jumps over and over again. So off the jacket goes. But after awhile, the skin on arms gets super cold, so I want the jacket back on again. Lots of girls skate in tank tops, but I don’t like that.
I can be totally overheated, sweaty, and out of breath, but the skin on my bare arms is still freezing!
And it’s just grrr! I want the jacket on for my freezing skin, but at the same time I don’t because I’m sweating and icky.

treesprite

Final Flight
People don't realize how lucky they are, to be able to sweat. Not being able to do it can lead to potentially deadly situations, so you should be grateful for those armpit sweat marks.

eonice

Rinkside
Male, and I wear a short-sleeve tee when training. After warmup, I'm already burning up. Oddly enough, my hands remain frozen all session. I think I need a pair of arm warmers... =/