Toe pick problem | Golden Skate

Toe pick problem

sk8chis

On the Ice
Hi everyone. I just bought new MK Pros. (i tried out the coronation aces and didn’t like them) and i’ve been working on my spins recently and i keep going onto my toe pick. it’s so annoying and causes me to fumble in my spins often. Also i’m not sure if they were properly sharpened or not because i feel like i have no edges in these blades. (i’m trying to withhold judgement because they’ve literally only been skated in 4 times now) but still i find it hard to stop smoothly in them.

any one have any tips to share or advice? for both the blade and the toe pick for spins

Thank you!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Did you get them sharpened after you bought them or are you skating on the factory sharpen? Factory sharpens are quite slippery sometimes.

Otherwise, it does take time to get used to.

sk8chis

On the Ice
Did you get them sharpened after you bought them or are you skating on the factory sharpen? Factory sharpens are quite slippery sometimes.

Otherwise, it does take time to get used to.

i had them sharpened after i got them. 7/16. im finding it hard to find my sweet spot on them. i have a friend who the MK Pros and has no problem with them.

treblemakerem

On the Ice
I recently switched to MK pros from a beginner level blade. I immediately felt like my edges were way better and easier. It took me a while to figure out my spins but once I found the sweet spot my spins are way faster and more centered. I am still struggling to get my jumps back, especially edge jumps. There's more rocker and its further to roll up to the toe pick. I think it probably depends a lot on what kind of blades you had before but it just takes a while to adjust to a new profile. I know that I get really frustrated not being able to do jumps that were easy before, but in the long run I can tell that once I figure it out they will be better. Hope this helps.

sk8chis

On the Ice
I recently switched to MK pros from a beginner level blade. I immediately felt like my edges were way better and easier. It took me a while to figure out my spins but once I found the sweet spot my spins are way faster and more centered. I am still struggling to get my jumps back, especially edge jumps. There's more rocker and its further to roll up to the toe pick. I think it probably depends a lot on what kind of blades you had before but it just takes a while to adjust to a new profile. I know that I get really frustrated not being able to do jumps that were easy before, but in the long run I can tell that once I figure it out they will be better. Hope this helps.

Thank you! Honestly i think i’m just very hard on myself. I’m a returning skater who unfortunately wasn’t one of the lucky ones who were able to land all their jumps after returning to the ice. In fact, I believe my jumps and spins took a dual all-inclusive vacation to Bora Bora or somewhere they don’t want to leave because i’m struggling ahah. So on top of adjusting to returning skating, i’m also adjusting to a new boot and blade change, so most of my time on the ice is spent frustrated [emoji23]

But i will keep this in mind! Thank you very much!

vlaurend

Final Flight
i had them sharpened after i got them. 7/16. im finding it hard to find my sweet spot on them. i have a friend who the MK Pros and has no problem with them.

It's completely normal to have trouble finding the sweet spot on brand new blades, even when they are the same exact model you had before.
That's because the round part of the rocker right behind the bottom pick hasn't been flattened down by sharpenings yet. Whenever I get new blades I have to find the sweet spot by doing my spins from pivots. It demonstrates to me how far forward that new sweet spot really is.

Sibelius

On the Ice
Hi everyone. I just bought new MK Pros. (i tried out the coronation aces and didn’t like them) and i’ve been working on my spins recently and i keep going onto my toe pick. it’s so annoying and causes me to fumble in my spins often. Also i’m not sure if they were properly sharpened or not because i feel like i have no edges in these blades. (i’m trying to withhold judgement because they’ve literally only been skated in 4 times now) but still i find it hard to stop smoothly in them.

any one have any tips to share or advice? for both the blade and the toe pick for spins

Thank you!

Just curious, what about the Coronation Ace didn't you like? We're having the CA's mounted soon.

sk8chis

On the Ice
It's completely normal to have trouble finding the sweet spot on brand new blades, even when they are the same exact model you had before.
That's because the round part of the rocker right behind the bottom pick hasn't been flattened down by sharpenings yet. Whenever I get new blades I have to find the sweet spot by doing my spins from pivots. It demonstrates to me how far forward that new sweet spot really is.

I will try this! thank you!

sk8chis

On the Ice
Just curious, what about the Coronation Ace didn't you like? We're having the CA's mounted soon.

They’re a great blade, they simply just didn’t work for me. Jumps were great, spins not so much. The toe pick was a little too aggressive for me, but some people really like that for jumps. Please don’t take my opinion into account when considering your options. Different blades work best for different people. I have an abundance of friends who have CA’s and RAVE about it but didn’t like the MK Pros either.

Sibelius

On the Ice
They’re a great blade, they simply just didn’t work for me. Jumps were great, spins not so much. The toe pick was a little too aggressive for me, but some people really like that for jumps. Please don’t take my opinion into account when considering your options. Different blades work best for different people. I have an abundance of friends who have CA’s and RAVE about it but didn’t like the MK Pros either.

Thanks, I just was wondering. The blade she's on now (Eclipse Mist) has a very aggressive toe pick, so that shouldn't be a problem for her. We were considering the Gold Seal, but all of us (me, coaches, boot maker) decided it wasn't necessary just yet for my skater. I know we all wish there was a "lending library" of blades to go and try. Seems like some enterprising shop could figure a way to make it work, maybe with a little help from the blade companies, but tradition rules all in this sport. Good luck getting your blade to work for you.

Gigi99

Rinkside
We got "Gold Stars" for my DD. It took her a little while to adjust to. But, now, she loves them.

Sibelius

On the Ice
We got "Gold Stars" for my DD. It took her a little while to adjust to. But, now, she loves them.

That was the other blade recommended by her coach. We're kind of in between now, she's getting new boots the same size as her current ones, just a little wider. They'll only last her a few months so getting the Gold Seal/Star at this point doesn't make too much sense. We'll pick the boots up soon and have another conversation with the fitter and see if this blade could go on the next size up as well, we might change our minds if that's the case. Coach really wants her on Gold Seals now for some reason, but the $$$ get in the way!