Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Interview with Aljona

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset skylark's Avatar

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by psusanne View Post
    Great interview. Love the part where Aljona says that she could skate all day, whereas Robin and Bruno couldn't. And that she has to be aware of that as a coach. I bet she's a tough coach because of her enthusiasm. She's certainly willing to give her students 100% of her energy. I'm very happy that we won't lose her perspective, her imagination of what pair skating should be.

She could skate all day ... I believe that. She has such energy, you feel it.

To quote Katia again, years later someone asked her if Sergei had health problems. She nodded, and said, pains in the shoulders and back, like most pairs men. Then she said, "Well -- it's not easy, lifting a girl all the time."

She also wrote that after Sergei died, she had to learn to skate on her own two feet. She'd skate for a while, then think, "okay, it's time for a lift."

Bona Fide Member

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by skylark View Post

She could skate all day ... I believe that. She has such energy, you feel it.

To quote Katia again, years later someone asked her if Sergei had health problems. She nodded, and said, pains in the shoulders and back, like most pairs men. Then she said, "Well -- it's not easy, lifting a girl all the time."

She also wrote that after Sergei died, she had to learn to skate on her own two feet. She'd skate for a while, then think, "okay, it's time for a lift."
    I also read Katia's book a couple of years ago. She also wrote that skating alone was exhausting in comparison to pair skating, that the woman can "rest" doing those lifts and that the man has to really push through a whole program. It makes sense, the pairs men need stamina!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2