Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Results 61 to 76 of 76

Thread: Muramoto and Reed end partnership

  1. #61
    FS data keeper
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    853

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowWhite View Post
    We don't know that they're competing for Japan though. He's Canadian and they may be planning to skate for Canada. FWIW in their summer comps, they're listed as representing their club in Vancouver, whereas the Japanese competitors I noticed (like Shingo Nishiyama) listed Japan, rather than the club they skate for. Doesn't necessarily tell us anything, but listing Japan would have. Sylvia from Unseen Skaters said she's heard they'll be skating for Canada.
    Thank you for the clarification. I'll add a note to the original post.

  2. #62
    Tripping on the Podium La Rhumba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    768
    Country: United Kingdom

    3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by cathlen View Post
    They were so good together! Japan once again is left without good ID couple...
    Very harsh comment. Misato Komatsubara & Tim Koleto, Japan's new #1 couple, have just won a Bronze medal at a Challenger, the Asian Open in Bangkok, and were 1st in FD TES, in only their 2nd season competing together.

    Quote Originally Posted by cohkaix View Post
    *Orihara&Lee Royer: new team paired up this year (not for certain they'll represent Japan and may also represent Canada)
    They have already competed for Canada at Lake Placid! They are competing under their club at the Canadian Summer comps because that's how they will qualify for Canadian Nationals.

    Lucky Canada, garnering so much icedance talent from around the world. Now a Japanese girl to add to many from Britain: one Senior woman, 2 Junior boys in icedance, and a Junior Pair boy. No doubt that's where the opportunities are.

  3. #63
    Euler critic ancientpeas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    8,178
    Country: Canada

    3 Not allowed!
    I loved their fd this year. I am saddened by this. I so want the Asian countries (Japan, China and Korea) to develop good ID teams so they aren't as such a disadvantage in the team event.

    With the break up of the top Korean ID team it is going to be a rebuilding year in both countries. I wonder if this will provide and opening for Lui/Wang? I agree with early talk about this helping out the Spanish teams as well but gosh this isn't the way I wanted to see that happen.

    I'll have to check out the GP placement thread to see if we know who will get their spots.

  4. #64
    Bona Fide Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    3,764
    Country: Honduras

    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by La Rhumba View Post
    They have already competed for Canada at Lake Placid! They are competing under their club at the Canadian Summer comps because that's how they will qualify for Canadian Nationals.

    Lucky Canada, garnering so much icedance talent from around the world. Now a Japanese girl to add to many from Britain: one Senior woman, 2 Junior boys in icedance, and a Junior Pair boy. No doubt that's where the opportunities are.
    Why compete for Canada?, it will be very difficult to get funding/ spots with Canada strong ID field...

  5. #65
    Bona Fide Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    2,174

    3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by La Rhumba View Post
    Very harsh comment. Misato Komatsubara & Tim Koleto, Japan's new #1 couple, have just won a Bronze medal at a Challenger, the Asian Open in Bangkok, and were 1st in FD TES, in only their 2nd season competing together.
    It's good for them, and they've had a good start to their career. But realistically it is still a substantial step backward for Japanese Ice Dance. I don't think a Japanese dance team has ever been so close to the top ten before. And instead of looking at a shot of two spots for the following Worlds, Komatsubara & Koleto will likely have a fight on their hands to qualify for the free dance at Worlds. (We've had several countries drop out--Turkey, Armenia, Korea, Czech Republic, Slovakia--so it is possible). Plus, apparently Koleto can only get citizenship if they leave their coaching situation and go back to live in Japan for a year. If then?

  6. #66
    Tripping on the Podium La Rhumba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    768
    Country: United Kingdom

    2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by cruzceleste View Post
    Why compete for Canada?, it will be very difficult to get funding/ spots with Canada strong ID field...
    Well, in the case of the Japanese girl, there are no icedance boys in Japan, so she had to look abroad for a partner. And I imagine they are receiving some funding and expert coaching at Vancouver with Wing & Lowe. Plus in their 2 events so far have performed extremely well, and are one of the most exciting of the new mix and match Junior Dance switch around in Canada this season, with a fabulous FD. She previously competed at Senior level and it shows.

    As for the British, 2 are at IDE, the Senior lady did extremely well in her very first season last year - not only in competition Ice Dance but as a Senior. She was previously Junior GB Pairs Champion and then trained Dance with Joe Buckland but only performed in galas, they didn't compete. (That was after he broke up with Olivia Smart). They had a great debut at Canadians last year too - Molly Lanaghan & Dmitre Razgulayevs.
    The Junior boy who also trains at IDE won the Canadian Novices last season, his first season in Canada, with his Russian partner. Peter Beaumont & Nadiia Bashynska. They've already been assigned a JGP event. Both Molly & Peter are from Yorkshire and so knew eachother well.
    The other Junior Dance boy who has gone to Canada this Summer was a former GB Junior Champion. He is training with the Islam team at Mariposa. Josh Tarry certainly had his pick of British girls looking for a partner. But he chose Canada, so presume he thinks there are better life opportunities. He also has coaching qualifications. Skating in Britain receives little funding, our competitions aren't streamed and the press barely interested unless it's the Olympics. Sadly they aren't the first, and they won't be the last British skaters to go abroad, and Canada makes them very welcome with excellent coaching, great facilities and ready made partners as the sport is so popular. We also lost our Junior Pair boy, and now have no Junior Pair team in Britain. He was 4th at Canadians last season - Steven Ad*ock. (Apparently I can't post his name, even though it's his name).

  7. #67
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    123

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    Of course it is Chris' choice. And he seems to have the means. I really do envy these skaters who go for their dreams and can do it. I don't have the means or risk taking heart. It worked for Aliona but it hasn't worked for so many too often ending in heartbreak. But to win you have to be willing to lose. This might open the door for a Canadian team to sneak into the top ten .
    Oh yes I am so glad it worked out for Aliona! And yes it is great for the skaters who have the means to continue skating and improve at their own pace. So many skaters drop out at novice junior levels for so many reasons.

  8. #68
    Tripping on the Podium La Rhumba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    768
    Country: United Kingdom

    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice Dance View Post
    It's good for them, and they've had a good start to their career. But realistically it is still a substantial step backward for Japanese Ice Dance. I don't think a Japanese dance team has ever been so close to the top ten before. And instead of looking at a shot of two spots for the following Worlds, Komatsubara & Koleto will likely have a fight on their hands to qualify for the free dance at Worlds. (We've had several countries drop out--Turkey, Armenia, Korea, Czech Republic, Slovakia--so it is possible). Plus, apparently Koleto can only get citizenship if they leave their coaching situation and go back to live in Japan for a year. If then?
    I heard they're returning this November to Okayama in east Japan to train with Rie Arikawa. Rie trained in Lyon when she was eligible, and has connections with the Coaches there, including Olivier Schoenfelder. Ofcourse Lyon, under Miriam Zazoui, was once the Montreal of the day, and where Marie France & Patrice trained when competing. GB lost icedancers to France too back in the day! Firstly, Eve Bentley (now fiance of Luca Lanotte) and then Tiffany Zahorski, before she moved to Moscow. Eve's partner was Andrew Hallam, now Dance coach in Canada. But don't get me started on the Coaches we've lost or we'll be here all day!
    Safe to say that if US Dance success was founded on Russian Coaches then Canadian Dance success was founded on British Coaches, from Bernard Ford to the Lanes to the Bradshaws and beyond.

  9. #69
    GS Supporter
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    6,252
    Country: Canada

    18 Not allowed!
    *incoherent rage*

    *flips over a table*

    *purposely floods bathroom toilet in protest*

    Ugh! Seriously though, every time I get a few minutes to pop in here, it seems like there’s always news of a partner split. Just as many of you have already stated, this is such a shame for Japan’s minuscule ice dance program. I was hoping to see Japan step up their competitive game and contend for a medal in the team event in 2022.

    This off season can accurately be likened to an infinite full moon.

  10. #70
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    42
    Country: Czech Republic

    6 Not allowed!
    It's so sad and also unexpected, I really liked them... There've been so many breakups this off-season. I know it's partly because it's after the Olympics. But on the other hand I again realized that it's not easy for pairs and ice dancers, they have to reach an agreement on so many things or try to find a compromise. In small feds they may pair up two kids because they are the only ones interested in skating and then they grow up and have different outlook at trainings, programmes... (I know this is not the case here)
    And maybe it's just me but with every break-up I feel like 'oh, it was so sudden.' like for example Sura Hurtado and Adria Diaz. I thought: 'one missunderstanding and they are already ending their partnership?' And then we read how long they were trying to solve their issues. But the pairs are probably so well trained to be in synch, to show positive emotions while on ice that every missunderstanding comes as a surprise for me as a casual viewer.
    Let's just hope that both Kana and Chris find good partners and everything turns out well for them (just as for Sara and Adria).

  11. #71
    GS Supporter
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    8,265

    6 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahSynchro View Post
    *incoherent rage*

    *flips over a table*

    *purposely floods bathroom toilet in protest*

    Ugh! Seriously though, every time I get a few minutes to pop in here, it seems like there’s always news of a partner split. Just as many of you have already stated, this is such a shame for Japan’s minuscule ice dance program. I was hoping to see Japan step up their competitive game and contend for a medal in the team event in 2022.

    This off season can accurately be likened to an infinite full moon.

    Post Vancouver was full of its own TraumaDrama too.

    This split makes me sad. It takes so long for a dance team to really gel, and last season they did and I could see a happy upcoming quad for these two. BOTH programs last season were particular favorites of mine, and at least I'll be able to watch them in the future and sigh the whatcouldabeen sigh.

    But then you never ever ever know what goes on behind the (metaphorical) curtain. It's just a shame that it's led to this.

  12. #72

  13. #73
    Euler critic ancientpeas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    8,178
    Country: Canada

    5 Not allowed!

  14. #74
    GS Supporter Sai Bon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    638
    Country: New Zealand

    2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientpeas View Post
    Thanks, ancientpeas! I'm no comedian, but that's my one Cartman impression party trick

  15. #75
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    201

    6 Not allowed!
    I’m actually really upset by this because I had noticed an improvement in their skating under Marina. She didn’t try to turn them into something they weren’t and I felt that Chris especially improved in his speed and flow over the ice. I hope that Chris continues to work at Canton

    It really frustrates me how ice dance development has been so slow in China, Japan, and Korea.

  16. #76
    Bona Fide Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    2,477

    10 Not allowed!
    I thought their partnership brought the best out of both of them. I think it will be hard for either of them to achieve what they have already achieved, not in the near future.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •