Can a 15 yrs old do 2A and possibly triples? | Golden Skate

Can a 15 yrs old do 2A and possibly triples?

Rozeamide

Rinkside
Is it possible for a 15 yrs old female who just started taking lessons to be able to get double axels and possibly triples in the future? I want to know if it is physically possible to achieve.

VegMom

On the Ice
There was another thread on here already about that and yes it is physically possible. It's just not super likely. A lot of what makes the bigger jumps challenging is actually mental not physical, from what I hear and read.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
You may do them, but not for a very long time, or you may never do them. There are so many factors.

There are people that start skating as toddlers that never get all their doubles and triples. Again, many factors.

concorde

Medalist
Since you are 15 years old, I assume you are dependent upon your parents to fund any activity as well as providing transportation. Unless you get their buy in for do both of these, then the simple answer is "no." Even if you get their buy in, the odds are greatly stacked against you.

What I mean my getting their buy in, they should expect a MINIMUM commitment of taking you to the rink at least 5 days a week for at least 90 minutes a time AND plan to spend a MINIMUM $15,000 per year. I would expect that you would need to continue with that for a MINIMUM of 4 years.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
Physically possible? Perhaps but not likely. There are a lot of very good skaters who start very young who get stuck on the double axel. As mentioned above- you are also talking about a significant amount of money.

But I think the other doubles are definitely possible and much more likely- with good coaching, dedication, and a lot of practice.

pearly

Record Breaker
Even if you do not get to your 2A and triples, you will enjoy figure skating very much. You can definitely do 2+2 combos. Have fun!

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
There are a lot of very good skaters who start very young who get stuck on the double axel.

This is very true. It takes quite a lot of training, technique and athleticism to get the double axel and beyond. There are some amazing skaters at my rink and I’ve only seen one person who has any triples - and even then, I’ve only seen him doing the 3T. Haven’t seen him do a 2A - he was mostly drilling 2Lo and 2/3T last time I saw him practice. There are many skaters who have all their singles plus axel, and a fair few with 2T/2S.

That being said - there are a lot of great competitive and performance opportunities for skaters at all levels, even without 2A/triples. Don’t let this discourage you from practicing and growing as a skater!

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Set your goals way too high, and you'll still end up farther along than you would have if you had set a lower one that you didn't know you could exceed. I'm going for triples, and I'm... ahem... substantially older than you are. If I never get them, I'll still might get more than if I'd made, say, at least one double my highest goal. Good luck!

Rozeamide

Rinkside
Thank you all for the replies. I am aware of all the factors involving to get triples and just wondered what is realistically possible for me to achieve. Even if I most likely won’t get triples at least doubles would be great. Since I do enjoy skating a lot and it’s fun so I’d love to achieve some of my goals. Also hope to land an axel someday!

Rozeamide

Rinkside
But I think the other doubles are definitely possible and much more likely- with good coaching, dedication, and a lot of practice.
So doubles are more possible and much more likely for me to achieve? Thank you for replying since I wanted to know what is a realistic goal for me.

Rozeamide

Rinkside
Even if you do not get to your 2A and triples, you will enjoy figure skating very much. You can definitely do 2+2 combos. Have fun!
Yes, even if I do not get the triples I would still love figure skating. And to know doubles are much more likely and possible for me is great because I wanted to know what is realistically possible and for it to be my goals! Even if I’m not doing jumps yet but in the future at least I know what my goals are.

jf12

Final Flight
Its physically possible to do doubles and triples but both are very unlikely, just in terms of the number of people who start taking lessons vs the number of people who land even one double. To do higher level jumps, you need a combination of natural ability, lack of fear, good coaching, time, and money. For doubles, it’s more about the latter 4, and these are factors you have more control over.

A big issue is for people who start when they are your age is that it’s a time when school/social life gets really busy and then college after that. But know that if you eventually find you don’t have enough time to work on higher level jumps now, if you start putting in the groundwork for it now, you’ll be in a great place to pick them back up in college or after. There’s no artificial deadline, and you can get an axel or doubles in your 20s just like you could when you’re 17. You might be too late for a competitive career, but when it comes to being a good skater for your whole lifetime, you have so much time ahead of you!

It's fun to have ‘reach’ goals, especially for something that takes as much work as skating does. I also understand why teen/adult starters have a goal of doing 2a/triples because that’s whats on TV and it doesn’t seem that ‘real’ yet. But when you actually get to it, when you’re a woman in your 20’s or 30’s having landed the rest of your doubles, to start a double axel and triples as a full size adult can be a large risk of injury and overuse, risking your ability to do doubles and skate for decades in the future, all for a jump you might be doing for a year or 2. For competitive kids, they have to get triples by a certain age to be in the game - they knowingly risk their bodies to be able to do it. So many ex-elite skaters have had hip replacements that I know, and it requires so much grit and sacrifice. However, those of us who start late have no such time constraints, and therefore, if you skate because you just love skating, don't you want to do it for as long as possible? This is just my experience as a late starter who's gotten doubles, and this is why I don't intend to seriously work on triples.

Rozeamide

Rinkside
Its physically possible to do doubles and triples but both are very unlikely, just in terms of the number of people who start taking lessons vs the number of people who land even one double. To do higher level jumps, you need a combination of natural ability, lack of fear, good coaching, time, and money. For doubles, it’s more about the latter 4, and these are factors you have more control over.

A big issue is for people who start when they are your age is that it’s a time when school/social life gets really busy and then college after that. But know that if you eventually find you don’t have enough time to work on higher level jumps now, if you start putting in the groundwork for it now, you’ll be in a great place to pick them back up in college or after. There’s no artificial deadline, and you can get an axel or doubles in your 20s just like you could when you’re 17. You might be too late for a competitive career, but when it comes to being a good skater for your whole lifetime, you have so much time ahead of you!

It's fun to have ‘reach’ goals, especially for something that takes as much work as skating does. I also understand why teen/adult starters have a goal of doing 2a/triples because that’s whats on TV and it doesn’t seem that ‘real’ yet. But when you actually get to it, when you’re a woman in your 20’s or 30’s having landed the rest of your doubles, to start a double axel and triples as a full size adult can be a large risk of injury and overuse, risking your ability to do doubles and skate for decades in the future, all for a jump you might be doing for a year or 2. For competitive kids, they have to get triples by a certain age to be in the game - they knowingly risk their bodies to be able to do it. So many ex-elite skaters have had hip replacements that I know, and it requires so much grit and sacrifice. However, those of us who start late have no such time constraints, and therefore, if you skate because you just love skating, don't you want to do it for as long as possible? This is just my experience as a late starter who's gotten doubles, and this is why I don't intend to seriously work on triples.
Yes, I do want to skate for as long as possible and to be honest I just wondered if it was possible but I was mostly sure I won’t be able to since there are lots of factors. But I do want to enter local competitions just the small ones to experience it because it seems like a fun experience. I love skating so if I could manage to do doubles in the future that would be nice! I did think about college/school and it’s busy but this is the time I finally pursued what I wanted to do so maybe I’d have to focus a bit on school/college and pick it up again but my love for skating won’t change I just know and feel it. Thanks for telling me your experience!