MK Pros to what next? | Golden Skate

MK Pros to what next?

Sbh

Rinkside
Transitioned from an 8" rocker to MK pros a few months back. I really liked the MK pros, but decided that when it was time I would go back to 8" rockers because I miss the stability and power in the glides. A few days ago I went to my skate shop close to home for a sharpening and found out my former skate tech retired and new owners took over the shop; the recent reviews of the skate shop were good under the new management. However, despite the positive reviews the one new owner totaled screwed up the sharpening to the point that I decided to drive back down to my other skate tech closer to my school and he said the MK pros were done for. A little devasted, but I'm thinking it was a sign.

So, I have no idea what to transition to after being on the MK pros and as of now my skating is at a halt. My coach wanted me to stick with MKs, but I do not want 7" rockers again; she agreed that in the end it was my decision, and mentioned that I had lost power since going back to 7" rockers. My coach said Pattern 99 or Gold Seal, which has left me pondering the pros and cons of the two blades.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
My advice would be P99. That is what I wear, but know that they have straight cut picks compared to the MK pro that you have now. The Gold Seals have the cross cut picks but are not parallel like you are used to, but the P99 is.

I have worn both and love my P99s.

Good luck!

Shigs15

Spectator
My advice would be P99. That is what I wear, but know that they have straight cut picks compared to the MK pro that you have now. The Gold Seals have the cross cut picks but are not parallel like you are used to, but the P99 is.

I have worn both and love my P99s.

Good luck!

How are they for spinning? My spins have finally got on track with the MK Pros. Also, what is the major difference with straight cut and cross cut? The only blades I've jumped in were cross cut and you seem really knowledgable 😄

Nimyue

On the Ice
Question:

I was under the impression the spin rocker profile of the MK Pro was the same as the Gold Seal. That the Pattern 99 has the spin rocker profile of the Coronation Ace.

So wouldn't a Gold Seal be better to transition to off an MK Pro?

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Paramount video about rocker profiles mentioned this.

I'm a newbie though, so maybe ask your skate tech?

Shigs15

Spectator
Question:

I was under the impression the spin rocker profile of the MK Pro was the same as the Gold Seal. That the Pattern 99 has the spin rocker profile of the Coronation Ace.

So wouldn't a Gold Seal be better to transition to off an MK Pro?

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Paramount video about rocker profiles mentioned this.

I'm a newbie though, so maybe ask your skate tech?

That's why I'm asking 😂😅. I'm back home after visiting my school skate tech, which he has opted to go a well timed vacation that started (poor guy needed it). I don't trust the tech near my home anymore after she botched the sharpening so badly; my coach is kind of on the fence which blade would be better and has elected to just have me choose, or present the pros and cons to her

Tavi...

Record Breaker
No advice on the new blades, but if you have proof that the botched sharpening ruined your nearly new blades (you only wore for a few months, right?) I wonder if you could get some money towards the new blades from the shop that ruined them.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
How are they for spinning? My spins have finally got on track with the MK Pros. Also, what is the major difference with straight cut and cross cut? The only blades I've jumped in were cross cut and you seem really knowledgable 😄

I have no problems spinning on my P99s and love them more for many reasons than I did Gold Seals. The difference between the picks is how aggressively they dig and grip the ice on toe jump take offs. It will help with height and/or momentum depending on the style.

vlaurend

Final Flight
Gold Seals and Pattern 99s are both excellent blades, but the Gold Seals will probably be an easier transition for you if you're coming from MK Pros. That's because the rocker profile (the shape of the rocker on the front half of the blade) is more similar--i.e., fuller and rounder right behind the bottom pick. The Pattern 99s have a more gradual rocker profile, meaning your balance point on spins will be farther back and your edge jump takeoff timing will also be affected.

Sibelius

On the Ice
I have no problems spinning on my P99s and love them more for many reasons than I did Gold Seals. The difference between the picks is how aggressively they dig and grip the ice on toe jump take offs. It will help with height and/or momentum depending on the style.

We saw the P99's at the shop last Saturday. For this round we all (coach, fitter and me) decided on the Coro Ace instead of the Gold Seal. The picks on the Ace and the Gold Seal looked comparable, but those were some BIG teeth on the P99, and she was a bit intimidated. Her first comment after working on her jumps was she missed the bigger pick on her Eclipses on her toe jumps. She's gotten used to it, and jumps are actually a bit better with the CA for whatever reason. I think next time she'll be a candidate for the P99 over the Gold Seal. It will be awhile, only working on 2S right now (with some success) but when it comes to the 2F and 2Lz that pick looks mighty helpful.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
We saw the P99's at the shop last Saturday. For this round we all (coach, fitter and me) decided on the Coro Ace instead of the Gold Seal. The picks on the Ace and the Gold Seal looked comparable, but those were some BIG teeth on the P99, and she was a bit intimidated. Her first comment after working on her jumps was she missed the bigger pick on her Eclipses on her toe jumps. She's gotten used to it, and jumps are actually a bit better with the CA for whatever reason. I think next time she'll be a candidate for the P99 over the Gold Seal. It will be awhile, only working on 2S right now (with some success) but when it comes to the 2F and 2Lz that pick looks mighty helpful.

Because they are comparable. ;)

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
And kind of puny, looks a bit like a sheep...the P99, like a wolf.

Yeah, they can be intimidating at first, but once at skill level for them (jumps wise) and you get used to them, they're amazing and not so scary. ;)