Programs that didn't make the cut | Golden Skate

Programs that didn't make the cut

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Perhaps a strange title for a thread, but I was just watching S/M's Spanish SP at Skate America 2017, and they changed it back to That Man for the rest of the season because they felt (especially Bruno) uncomfortable with it. True, Bruno fell at SA during their SB,S but to me me it was a great programme. Bruno really represented the ideal Spanish Dancer (and I love male Flamenco dancers) even though he fell during the SBS. But, because they felt uncomfortable they went back to their earlier SP, and - considering the eventual results - that was a good decision. Dont't get me wrong: I love That Man, That's not for discussion. However, I still regret the loss of the lovely Spanish programme, with Fierce Aljona as the female dancer and awesome Bruno representing that male dancer. I do love watching Flamenco and other Spanish rythms and dances.

So, I decided to introduce this thread: did you ever love a programme (and whether it's a Short or a Long is not an issue) that didn't make it to the final competitions?And final could be the GPF, the OG or the WC. Did you ever regret not seeing a lovely programme, because the skater(s) decided to go back to an earlier one, or even changed it into a new one? Would you wish them (him/her) to pick it up again?

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
Weaver and Poje's Spartacus. I thought that program had so much potential, honestly.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Jeremy Abbott's LP to Jupiter/Pines of Rome

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sean Rabbitt's "Tequila" short program from 2017/2018. So much fun. I do believe he kept it as an exhibition program, so all is good.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I understand why James/Cipres chose to go back to 'Sound of Silence' for the Olympics and Worlds last season - it's their iconic program - but 'Say Something' was gorgeous and I would have loved to see them pick up again after their stumbles on it at Europeans and make it absolutely amazing.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Pechalat/Bourzat Amelie SD was changed to Doctor Zhivago for the GPs. I liked the French music better although not the mashing of the tango after the Golden Waltz.

I've never watched this programme before :eek: Interesting discovery.

hat was also the very first year of SD.

I remember countless clumsy music pairings that season, that new format of segment + unfortunate Waltz / Tango mix to make it even more challenging if the former was not enough. :drama:

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
I remember countless clumsy music pairings that season, that new format of segment + unfortunate Waltz / Tango mix to make it even more challenging if the former was not enough. :drama:

I think some gave the term 'wango' for those mashups and PJ Kwong said something along the lines of the SD being Frankenstein, where CD and OD is joined together :laugh:. Virtue/Moir did have a beautiful 'wango' though.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Program that shouldn't have made the cut for the Olympics: Virtue/Moir's Seasons. Glad to see them stick to their MR and skate to what they wanted this time to win that second :medal"

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Evgenia’s “January Stars” program

Yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKkRUWGCq_U

The first part is really good and much better than the Anna Karenina FS, and also the ending is good, the only thing it needed some choreography to acknowledge the change of the music.

The only part i liked about the Anna Karenina FS is the steps sequence, especially with the dark black dress (not the ugly one she wore at the Olympics)

Also technically that program would have matched Alina's Don Quixote, with a clean FS with this program she could have won the Olympics.

noskates

Record Breaker
This goes wayyyyy back but Nancy Kerrigan's Beauty and the Beast. I don't remember where she skated it but it was a disaster. I remember her coming off the ice and asking Evie if she could skate it over. Whaaaaat? Anyway, we never saw it again!

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Rika Hongo Laurence of Arabia. After riverdance that program was like a miss. But i think it had the potential to grow. And i love the dress.

Nika09

On the Ice
Peng/Jin "Assassin's Tango" SP from last season. They skated it clean just ones (and it was amazing) as I remember, at the very beginning of the season and then after sequence of failures switched it to the previous SP.
IMO it was best choreography has been made by Lori for Chinese Pairs last season, but unfortunately P/J never did a justice to this beautiful and sensual program.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I say Takahito Mura's SP this past season to "Too Close." Yes I know he didn't do Olympics or Worlds. But after the US Figure Skating Classic, he scraped it. Which I was bummed out cause it was unique and I went to Skate America 2017 so I didn't get to see that SP.