Best Quality and Biggest Flaw | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Best Quality and Biggest Flaw

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Just livestreaming and television, never in person. I’ll take your word for it if she’s a lot quicker in person. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a Mirai fan and I wasn't bashing her. Just from my perspective on a screen, she slows down considerably the further she gets into a program.

I've been around her training multiple times and she's not slow.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mirai Nagasu:
Biggest quality: Work ethic
Biggest Flaw: Speed, lack of expression

Alina Zagitova:
Biggest quality: Determination to succeed
Biggest flaw: Horrendous posture. She moons the audience constantly

Misha Kolyada
Biggest quality: Charisma and innate skating talent
Biggest flaw: Lack of focus

Tarasova/Morozov
Biggest quality: Classic Skating ability
Biggest flaw: No taste in music selection; his complete lack of presence on the ice

Ashley Wagner
Biggest quality: Excellent presentation skills
Biggest flaw: fading technical ability

Keegan Messing
Biggest quality: Excellent presentation skills
Biggest flaw: inconsistency

Polina Tsurskaya
Biggest quality: huge jumps
Biggest flaw: illness that causes her jumps to fail :cry:

Globetrotter

Medalist
Yuzuru Hanyu:
BQ = Competitiveness, great jumps
BF = Injury prone, narrow range of programmes

Shoma Uno:
BQ = Gritty, good performer
BF = Jump techniques are suspect

Nathan Chen:
BQ = Multiple quads that are stable
BF = 3A and multiple quads that can splat when he loses focus

Jin Boyang:
BQ = best lutz technique with hardly any prerotation - superb, period
BF = weak SS

Michael Kolyada:
BQ = Oozes natural talent and showmanship
BF = headcase, inconsistent

Evgenia Medvedeva:
BQ = Oozes X-factor and star quality
BF = Chronic flutzer, muscles her jumps instead of launching into them

Alina Zagitova:
BQ = Ruthlessly determined, expert at saving the jumps
BF = Chronically mooning the audience with her posture, somewhat lacking in SS

Satoko Miyahara:
BQ = Smooth SS, strong musicality and interpretive skills, great non jumps
BF = Jumps have no lift. Need we even say anything more obvious?

Marin Honda:
BQ = Smooth SS, oozes X factor, easily match Zhenya for star quality
BF = Can get headcase

Carolina ostner:
BQ = Best SS, strong basic techniques
BF = Inconsistent, age no longer competitive in terms of jumps

US ladies as a whole:
BQ = Great overall packaging
BF = None really stand out since Ashley and Gracie opted out

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Eunsoo - Best Quality: Great toe jumps (especially the lutz) with height and distance, beautiful lines, lyrical movements and captivating performances
Biggest flaw: Prone to nerves, weak on edge jumps (especially the salchow)

Zhenya Medvedeva - Best Quality: Emotional and musical on the ice, strong mentality
Biggest flaw: Flutz (working on it though), not the smoothest take-off

Marin - Best Quality: All the charm, smooth skating skills, crowd-pleasing performances
Biggest flaw: Inconsistency, also prone to nerves

Yelim - Best Quality: Consistency, jumps with great height and lovely rippons, soft delicateness
Biggest flaw: Needs work on spins, SS not 100% there yet, limiting performance style

Junhwan - Best Quality: Consistency, great back flexibility and subsequent lovely layback spins, good spinner in general, with musicality and charm, is calm and mature
Biggest flaw: Not free from URs, SS not fully developed yet

Yuzuru - Best Quality: Packed with both the highest tech and artistry, lovely lines, will of steel
Biggest flaw: Injury prone, tends to recycle programs

Tomono Kazuki- Best Quality: Nothing if not charming, capable of being both a performer and an artist, solid skating skills
Biggest flaw: Inconsistency, slight stiffness with spins

Dmitri Aliev - Best Quality: Beautiful lines, delicate musicality, good posture and height on jumps if done right
Biggest flaw: Inconsistency (starting to become a popstar at this point)

Amei

Record Breaker
Yuzuru Hanyu:
BQ = Competitiveness, great jumps
BF = Injury prone, narrow range of programmes

Shoma Uno:
BQ = Gritty, good performer
BF = Jump techniques are suspect

Nathan Chen:
BQ = Multiple quads that are stable
BF = 3A and multiple quads that can splat when he loses focus

Jin Boyang:
BQ = best lutz technique with hardly any prerotation - superb, period
BF = weak SS

Michael Kolyada:
BQ = Oozes natural talent and showmanship
BF = headcase, inconsistent

Evgenia Medvedeva:
BQ = Oozes X-factor and star quality
BF = Chronic flutzer, muscles her jumps instead of launching into them

Alina Zagitova:
BQ = Ruthlessly determined, expert at saving the jumps
BF = Chronically mooning the audience with her posture, somewhat lacking in SS

Satoko Miyahara:
BQ = Smooth SS, strong musicality and interpretive skills, great non jumps
BF = Jumps have no lift. Need we even say anything more obvious?

Marin Honda:
BQ = Smooth SS, oozes X factor, easily match Zhenya for star quality
BF = Can get headcase

Carolina ostner:
BQ = Best SS, strong basic techniques
BF = Inconsistent, age no longer competitive in terms of jumps

US ladies as a whole:
BQ = Great overall packaging
BF = None really stand out since Ashley and Gracie opted out

:laugh2: That has to be the strangest/greatest description for bad posture

Globetrotter

Medalist
:laugh2: That has to be the strangest/greatest description for bad posture

A consequence of her almost persistent use of a tutu as her costume. That hunched over posture just moons us face on. I don’t think Zhenya or Satoko ever did that. Actually, Zagi is currently pretty much ahead of her peers, so she really needs to cut down on the quantity of the TR and ensure whatever transitions she does retain are held out and of high quality. Satoko and CaroK for instance do not cram a ton of moves but each one is meaningful and beautifully done. Without that mad rush to cram trick you have, Zagi could create a programme with more breathing room and the quality will be much nicer. And as a benefit, less rushed movements = less hunched over moves = less mooning.

rikaquegira

On the Ice
A consequence of her almost persistent use of a tutu as her costume. That hunched over posture just moons us face on. I don’t think Zhenya or Satoko ever did that. Actually, Zagi is currently pretty much ahead of her peers, so she really needs to cut down on the quantity of the TR and ensure whatever transitions she does retain are held out and of high quality. Satoko and CaroK for instance do not cram a ton of moves but each one is meaningful and beautifully done. Without that mad rush to cram trick you have, Zagi could create a programme with more breathing room and the quality will be much nicer. And as a benefit, less rushed movements = less hunched over moves = less mooning.

What does "mooning" means? I don't understand. Is that a metaphor for something? I'm trying to make sense of it but I can't find a meaning that makes sense. :think::laugh:

RobinA

On the Ice
Yuzuru Hanyu

Daisuke Takahashi

BQ: best dancer on ice, controls his body lines like no one else, even disastrous skates are masterpieces
BF: not so good spins, injury caused underrotations

Thank you. Takahashi fan here. I'd rather see him skate a disaster that any current skater skate perfectly

RobinA

On the Ice
Chronic mooning...

It struck me this weekend that what Sagitova needs is a coach for stroking. Her stroking is choppy, flat on blades. and usually results in this "mooning" appearance. Possibly it is done so she can gain speed, because, face it, she's a rock on these difficult jumps most of the time. Maybe it's the price you pay to get the 3/3s consistent. She's one of the few skaters who doesn't make me hold my breath when she sets up a jump. And I do like her and she is successful, so really she doesn't need to change a thing. I hand it to her for continuing after the gold medal.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oddly, in her last two competitions, Zagitova's gotten URs on her "consistent" 3/3s, at least in the FS.

Amei

Record Breaker
Chronic mooning...

It struck me this weekend that what Sagitova needs is a coach for stroking. Her stroking is choppy, flat on blades. and usually results in this "mooning" appearance. Possibly it is done so she can gain speed, because, face it, she's a rock on these difficult jumps most of the time. Maybe it's the price you pay to get the 3/3s consistent. She's one of the few skaters who doesn't make me hold my breath when she sets up a jump. And I do like her and she is successful, so really she doesn't need to change a thing. I hand it to her for continuing after the gold medal.

That's her choreography, jam-packed to get points where she has to be super-fast or she's behind and missing things. I hope next season if her coaches continue with their line about it being more about her "growing as a skater" that they will bring in a different choreographer.

figurefan0726

Final Flight
Yuzuru Hanyu

BQ: jumps of beauty, spins of beauty, musical, flexible, light as a feather, best costumes in the mens field fight me
BF: likes recycling way too much, poor posture when tired

Daisuke Takahashi

BQ: best dancer on ice, controls his body lines like no one else, even disastrous skates are masterpieces
BF: not so good spins, injury caused underrotations

Yulia Lipnitskaya

BQ: the best spins in all eternity, very charismatic
BF: her skating career brings me to tears

Stephane Lambiel

BQ: true artist on ice, creative programs, unique spins
BF: jumps rarely look effortless

Alena Kostornaia

BQ: ss, graceful as no one else, beautiful lines, can sell a program even from Daniil
BF: does she have them??

I love Kostornaia’s SP for this season. Lovely. I think Evgenia used that music for her first FS of last season that she replaced with Anna Karenina. Maybe Eteri and Daniil saved the music for Alena?

SXTN

Final Flight
Satoko Miyahara
Biggest quality: unmatched musicality and attention to detail
Biggest flaw

Alina Zagitova
Biggest quality: beautiful rippon flip right on the music
Biggest flaw

Maria Sotskova
Biggest quality: wonderful straight back and general posture
Biggest flaw

Carolina Kostner
Biggest quality: purity of edges and turns
Biggest flaw

Ashley Wagner
Biggest quality: engaging showmanship
Biggest flaw

This is fun!

This is the funniest post I have ever seen on GS. I was lmao.

Globetrotter

Medalist
:rofl:

OMG! That's awful! :laugh2:

So Alina is "mooning" the audience?? :con2: oh, no! :laugh:

I don't think it is intentional. Just that her programme is so rushed, her edges are flat and her posture is rather suspect that she ends up in this butt up appearance. The tutu costumes certainly didn't help either. Thankfully, she is young and has much room to improve although I think the PCS she gets for being an Oly champ is really too high and does not convey the message that posture and SS are areas that need some serious work on.

Satoko Miyahara
Biggest quality: unmatched musicality and attention to detail
Biggest flaw

Alina Zagitova
Biggest quality: beautiful rippon flip right on the music
Biggest flaw

Maria Sotskova
Biggest quality: wonderful straight back and general posture
Biggest flaw

Carolina Kostner
Biggest quality: purity of edges and turns
Biggest flaw

Ashley Wagner
Biggest quality: engaging showmanship
Biggest flaw

This is fun!

Really tho, where is the follow-up

Alena Kostornaia
BF: does she have them??

Interpretive flaws and lack of musicality, that are more exposed this year. She's still a junior, though, and this can be developed.

Atlantis

Rinkside
I love Kostornaia’s SP for this season. Lovely. I think Evgenia used that music for her first FS of last season that she replaced with Anna Karenina. Maybe Eteri and Daniil saved the music for Alena?

They did.
And yes, SP is nice. I'm not a fan of the music or the music cut but it's really lovely at certain moments. I was mostly talking about her FS because I find it to be "very Daniil program in the worst kind of way". But that was also mostly a joke, I don't think he produces only bad programs.

Interpretive flaws and lack of musicality, that are more exposed this year. She's still a junior, though, and this can be developed.

I honestly think she skates and interpretes better than 98% of current senior ladies. I really don't see what you are talking about, but well, if somebody sees her flaws, I hope she keeps on developing. Her programs this year are not the best to showcase her abilities though.

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
I honestly think she skates and interpretes better than 98% of current senior ladies. I really don't see what you are talking about, but well, if somebody sees her flaws, I hope she keeps on developing. Her programs this year are not the best to showcase her abilities though.

If anyone who doesn't care for her interpretation feels differently, feel free to correct me, but this year I feel like people are perhaps taking more issue with her interpretation of the Romeo and Juliet program. It was a great idea in theory, but I think it was maybe a mistake to give it to her knowing how many great interpretations there are out there of the music. Alena is still great, in my opinion, and she's moved me to tears, but I don't really get R&J from her performance. I think she's getting better though.