Spam/Scam phone calls? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Spam/Scam phone calls?

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I actually put one into my directory as "scam" so I could ignore it in the future.

I usually answer even spam/scam calls because my daughter's calls are sometimes id'd, sometimes not (come up as unknown number). It varies, even when she is calling from the same phone each time. For many of our calls, we get a number but not a name; often we get calls from an entire state or province (when they have an area code but no name).

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I actually put one into my directory as "scam" so I could ignore it in the future.

I usually answer even spam/scam calls because my daughter's calls are sometimes id'd, sometimes not (come up as unknown number). It varies, even when she is calling from the same phone each time. For many of our calls, we get a number but not a name; often we get calls from an entire state or province (when they have an area code but no name).

Sadly, in a few years, more than half of calls will be spam/scam. Some apps can help and send the calls right to voice mail, which isnt helpful. I suspect I will just have to tell my fone to only ring if the incomming call is from someone in my address book.
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/w...your-area-codeand-how-to-stop-them-2018-06-01

So, I got six calls yesterday from myself. That is, the caller ID came up with my own name as the caller. I didn't leave a message for myself when I didn't answer the last five, but in the first one I threatened myself that my "Internet license" would expire in 48 hours if I didn't call ..."

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
So, I got six calls yesterday from myself. That is, the caller ID came up with my own name as the caller. I didn't leave a message for myself when I didn't answer the last five, but in the first one I threatened myself that my "Internet license" would expire in 48 hours if I didn't call ..."

What does that even mean? Is that 007's license to kill?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I just got like seven robo calls from someone claiming to be from the Social Security Administration saying that legal action was being taken on my social security number. What does that even mean?!

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I just got like seven robo calls from someone claiming to be from the Social Security Administration saying that legal action was being taken on my social security number. What does that even mean?!

LOLz, whut?? :laugh:
Please keep up updated if you are still a legal citizen! :laugh:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I had one yesterday. From Germany which is tricky since my mom is now there, but her ID always flashes on screen when she calls... I did not take it and immediately called my mom to confirm if all is okay.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Do people in non-US countries get lots of spam/scam phone calls on their cell phones and land lines?
I use an app on my cell that does a good job of stopping many of these calls but I have a simple land line
with no caller ID and I just monitor all incoming calls on the answering machine before picking up.

Not usually, although a few times this year I've got messages from someone speaking Chinese? Which is really odd because I don't have a Chinese last name and I certainly can't speak the language.

Google tells me its a scam - which I suspected - but it's a weird one since it seems depend on the person understanding the message, getting worried and sending money!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I had one yesterday. From Germany which is tricky since my mom is now there, but her ID always flashes on screen when she calls... I did not take it and immediately called my mom to confirm if all is okay.

That is an odd one....perhaps a bad person's software read her phone's contact list and tried to scam you...

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Not usually, although a few times this year I've got messages from someone speaking Chinese? Which is really odd because I don't have a Chinese last name and I certainly can't speak the language.

Google tells me its a scam - which I suspected - but it's a weird one since it seems depend on the person understanding the message, getting worried and sending money!

Interesting. I wonder what the Aussies are doing right to limit the avalanche of calls we in the US are getting?

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Interesting. I wonder what the Aussies are doing right to limit the avalanche of calls we in the US are getting?

Ssssh we're keeping ourselves on the downlow.

Plus it helps that scammers may not know where we are..George W famously called us Austria...when he was in our country (how?)

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker

I dont understand how people who can change their caller id arent easy to catch and stop, but who am I?

But, If we dont hear from you in two days, we know they have revoked your internet license!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
As an aside, I hope none of you are using your facebook login to access other websites, as is frequently offered by those websites.
1. Facebook is for pics of your dogs.
2. Facebook makes its money off of marketing
3. Expect to see ads for dog food.
4. Expect to see anything you post mined for data for advertising.
Data is gold. And yes, it can be used to try and influence you politically.
Its cheeper than TV ads and about as effective.

Please dont take away my internet license!!!!!

Spiralgraph

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I have multiple spam phone calls and nuisance calls practically every day. A newer approach used was "someone at this number called to ask about a back brace, we're returning your call" ..
Um nope. I did not inquire about a back brace. And I have also never stayed at your hotel/resort and I'm not interested in a so called free two night stay somewhere.
Geesh I wish they'd leave me alone. The political surveys are bad enough but trying to trick me out of my money really infuriates me.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Oh yeah, the Chinese Embassy scam. That was very prolific a few months ago. Specifically targeted Chinese expats when they found them. The message tells them there's a package waiting for them at the Chinese embassy, and then it devolves from there into kidnappings (faked and real) and extortion. I think the scammers got quite a lot of money out of it. The game was to get the expats (usually students in Australia) to get their home country relatives to send money as a ransom.

It's nice to see that some scam calls are universal, just with different names to target Australia. The "internet licence" one becomes the NBN (which is extra hilarious when they call people who aren't hooked up to the NBN yet), the IRS/Revenue Canada becomes the ATO, etc.

The big one here is the Centrelink scam, where the caller tells the victim that they're owed a pension increase and because they haven't answered the letter Centrelink sent their file has been moved to Canberra. To get the file unlocked and the backpayment of the increase (it's always some significant amount too, $3000 or so), the victim just needs to go buy some iTunes gift cards and get the serial number off the back.

Now, the supermarkets and other places that sell iTunes cards here have got a bit clue-y. Signs have gone up next to all the racks about scam warnings, and supermarket cashiers are even being trained to question if a person is buying a lot of gift cards (but especially iTunes, although I've also heard they've started talking about Steam cards as well). Frankly, I don't like this idea because I can absolutely see some grouchy old man flying off the handle at some 15-year-old cashier ("What do you think I'm stupid or something!"). Anyway it must have had some effect because now apparently the scammers tell the victims to lie about why they're buying the cards!

This is the hardest one because once the cards are bought, even if they haven't given the serial number to the scammers yet, there's no obligation from the supermarkets to provide a refund.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I receive robocalls (since last Thanksgiving) almost daily from a loan company looking for a woman that I've never heard of or known. I've spoken to 3 staff members & informed them of this & they apologize & quit calling for a week or two. Then it starts up again. I quit answering my phone a few months ago. "Leave a message & if I want to talk to you I'll return your call. If I don't want to speak to you then you won't hear from me." That's my current message. It works pretty well as I no longer get calls or messages from charities, politicians, scammers, etc..

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Our favorite scammers are the Robocalls telling us our “Windows key” has expired. Since all of our desktops, tablets and laptops are Mac, they did not get their target audience. ;)Our cell phones are on airport except when in use or expecting a call, so rare is the robocall there.

We also screen calls with our answering machine. Yes, landline answering machine. Spousal Unit, in his deep low male voice says “We’re dead. Leave flowers and beat it. Leave a message too if you dare. You have reached 555-555-5555.”

It does the trick:laugh: