Another Pairs Roller Skating masterpiece | Golden Skate

Another Pairs Roller Skating masterpiece

Sk8swan

On the Ice
*To the admin: I think I've posted about artistic roller skating here in the past, and I couldn't find a better sub-forum to post this in... but feel free to move this if needed!*
Figure skating fans, pair skating fans specially, I think will love this. As some may know Italy has a huge tradition in artistic roller skating.
And this young pair is probably the best ever in the history of the sport, unmatched technically and I would say also artistically. Venerucci who won 10 world titles with different partners could have been artistically slightly better than these too, but they are 19 and 22 rispectively so they can still improve. Less than a month ago at Italian nationals they were able to perform this 'masterpiece' inspired to Leonardo da Vinci's sculpture work, despite having lost their coach (probably the best roller skating coach ever) in a car accident in March. That tragedy put their career in jeopardy, as they were both thinking about giving up the sport without their mentor.... needless to say luckily they decided to continue to honour his work with them.

Enjoy: https://youtu.be/GZYwM2XbZ8c

Everybody, check this out! Totally awesome. If you block out their feet you would swear it was an ice skating performance.

TryMeLater

On the Ice
The 1.0 is a funny mistake.
Very reminiscent of Della-Monica/Guarise in style.
It's very impressive, but still not sure if I personally like it, I kinda miss the edges - it feels less emotional for some reason.
I guess the carving of the blades and edges creates a certain movement which the "wheels" (not sure how to call them) can't.

maggieanne

Rinkside
Country
United-States
This was a very lovely performance! For those of you that know more about artistic roller skating than me, do they normally spin on their heels? I don’t watch roller skating but I assumed that they would spin in their toes, like on ice.

Sk8swan

On the Ice
This was a very lovely performance! For those of you that know more about artistic roller skating than me, do they normally spin on their heels? I don’t watch roller skating but I assumed that they would spin in their toes, like on ice.

Spinning on heel is a variation of the camel spin, the most difficult one actually. And they can do it forward and backward in perfect unison, so the best you can get!

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
That was absolutely gorgeous, and their SBS spins were phenomenal! Thank you for posting it.

maggieanne

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Spinning on heel is a variation of the camel spin, the most difficult one actually. And they can do it forward and backward in perfect unison, so the best you can get!

Interesting, thanks for letting me know.:)

50 Words for Snow

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Wow! :eeking:

When you said artistic roller skating in pairs, I thought you meant this, which is cool, but it's not really like figure skating. You have just turned me on to a whole new world of skating--thanks! :agree:

Dr. Jenn

Medalist
That was really cool! :) Thanks for sharing. Like Mathman said, if you ignore their feet, you would think that they were figure skating. The white floor helps with the illusion.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Wow! :eeking:

For sure! That was incredible, I didn't think they'd be able to do all those moves...like Death Spirals and throws and everything!

When you said artistic roller skating in pairs, I thought you meant this, which is cool, but it's not really like figure skating. You have just turned me on to a whole new world of skating--thanks! :agree:

This is absolutely cool though, how did they learn to do that?! It was awesome!

macy

Record Breaker
holy cow, that's amazing. we think ice skating can produce bad injuries, thinking of roller skating injuries and falls makes me cringe, especially pairs falls...no ice to slide on. ouch. hard floor would be so unforgiving. and how do they SPIN?!

anyone know what kind of scoring system they use? is it anything similar to IJS?

edit: now that i watched through the end it looks like the scoring is similar to 6.0

patymarone

Rinkside
I was an artistic roller skater and it makes me so happy to see this posted here! I just loved this performance so much!! And also is really sad that almost the same sport doen't have even half the recognition.

The 1.0 is a funny mistake.
Very reminiscent of Della-Monica/Guarise in style.
It's very impressive, but still not sure if I personally like it, I kinda miss the edges - it feels less emotional for some reason.
I guess the carving of the blades and edges creates a certain movement which the "wheels" (not sure how to call them) can't.

Doing edges on these roller skates are quite dificult, cause the wheels kinda have to stay on the ground and also you can regulate your plate (what holds the wheels) to how "loose" you want your edges to be... its hard to explain, especially since english is not my first language, but it's something like that.

holy cow, that's amazing. we think ice skating can produce bad injuries, thinking of roller skating injuries and falls makes me cringe, especially pairs falls...no ice to slide on. ouch. hard floor would be so unforgiving. and how do they SPIN?!

anyone know what kind of scoring system they use? is it anything similar to IJS?

edit: now that i watched through the end it looks like the scoring is similar to 6.0

Used to be the 0 to 10 system, but they are already using the same IJS system in some competitions this year