Another Pairs Roller Skating masterpiece | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Another Pairs Roller Skating masterpiece

Sk8swan

On the Ice
holy cow, that's amazing. we think ice skating can produce bad injuries, thinking of roller skating injuries and falls makes me cringe, especially pairs falls...no ice to slide on. ouch. hard floor would be so unforgiving. and how do they SPIN?!

anyone know what kind of scoring system they use? is it anything similar to IJS?

edit: now that i watched through the end it looks like the scoring is similar to 6.0

As someone already mentioned the artistic roller skating world has been experimenting a new judging system called RollArt which takes inspiration from the ISU judging system. They have already used it in some competitions and it will eventually replace the 10.0 system (similar to the ISU 6.0 system) after the 2018 World Championships scheduled in September.

Sk8swan

On the Ice
I wonder what material is that surface made of.

You can roller skate on many different surfaces: concrete, wood, special plastic material, etc. Usually for high level competitions, a special skating surface is built over the sport arena original floor. Over the past few years white surfaces were the most common option; my belief is it was done right on purpose to create the ice effect ;) That effect is even more 'real' when competitions are held in ice rinks when there is no ice for the summer breaks like it often happens for Italian roller skating nationals!

Sk8swan

On the Ice
holy cow, that's amazing. we think ice skating can produce bad injuries, thinking of roller skating injuries and falls makes me cringe, especially pairs falls...no ice to slide on. ouch. hard floor would be so unforgiving. and how do they SPIN?!

I can tell you... falling on the floor hurts much more than falling on the ice... cause as you said you don't have the sliding effect!
And spinning requires much more energy and power.

MalAssada

Medalist
This gives me an extra motivation to get my roller skaters out of the closet. For those who mention injuries, yep! I managed to get myself a permanent one practicing waltz jumps :slink: and everyone got used to seeing me full of bruises and grated knees, not to mention torn leggings.

Adding to patymarone's explanation, edges can be done in roller skating (figures are still competed!) but while your boot makes an inclination, all four wheels stay on the ground, which gives the impression of a flat edge.

Gotta give my coach a call...

Sk8swan

On the Ice
Sharing another video with you: https://youtu.be/VMhXokyx6kY this is last year long program performed at World Games (the "olympics" for not Olympic sports) in Poland. They didn't have their best skate as they had an accident during the pair spin where she broke her finger (still she managed to keep going) but it's the only tv recorded performance (anything else you can find is at best streaming broadcast) and that imo gives more justice to their talent. Side note: they are several times world champions now, even in singles, he's senior men world champion and she's junior ladies world champion :)

50 Words for Snow

Final Flight
Country
United-States
This is absolutely cool though, how did they learn to do that?! It was awesome!

In increments, learning one trick at a time, like this.

I discovered this because watching Medvedeva in the Olympics made me want to learn to skate, but I found that ice time is kind of scarce in my city, at least in relation to the hours that I work, and a friend suggested that I try rollerblading. I said that you can't do the same moves on rollerblades, and she responded by sending me a video of a kid who uses Ilia Averbukh as her choreographer, so now, I am taking rollerblade lessons. So far, I suck. :slink:

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
In increments, learning one trick at a time, like this.

I discovered this because watching Medvedeva in the Olympics made me want to learn to skate, but I found that ice time is kind of scarce in my city, at least in relation to the hours that I work, and a friend suggested that I try rollerblading. I said that you can't do the same moves on rollerblades, and she responded by sending me a video of a kid who uses Ilia Averbukh as her choreographer, so now, I am taking rollerblade lessons. So far, I suck. :slink:

That costume reminds me so much of Anna Pogorilaya's from her 2015-2016 SP (only that one was red)

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Looks more difficult than ice skating, especially they are doing almost the same jumps, throws, twists, spins... I was thinking if they skate on ice they can do even better.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Wow, that is absolutely amazing!

I wonder if they've ever tried figure skating or if they'd be terrible at it because they're so used to the way things work on roller skates.
(I had the reverse problem when I tried roller skating. I could barely even skate two forward strokes, because... wheels, man. Four of them. I think a few brain cells might have combusted from the confusion of everything feeling so different. And yes, falling on roller skates is 10 times more painful than falling on ice.)

I wonder if they've ever tried figure skating or if they'd be terrible at it because they're so used to the way things work on roller skates.

Tara Lipinski was U.S. champion in her age group in roller skating (9 years old). I have read that she switched to ice skating because her family thought it had more potential for fame and fortune. :)

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Tara Lipinski was U.S. champion in her age group in roller skating (9 years old). I have read that she switched to ice skating because her family thought it had more potential for fame and fortune. :)
That is absolutely true, especially if you spend the same effort, why not ice skating. I only thing I can think of is the cost. Perhaps it is much cheaper to skate on concrete than on ice?

Sk8swan

On the Ice
Wow, that is absolutely amazing!

(I had the reverse problem when I tried roller skating. I could barely even skate two forward strokes, because... wheels, man. Four of them. I think a few brain cells might have combusted from the confusion of everything feeling so different. And yes, falling on roller skates is 10 times more painful than falling on ice.)

Honestly I think they would be great as figure skaters. Sure it will take time to get used to the blades but Matteo Guarise proved it is possible to switch successfully even at an older age. These two are incredibly talented, technically the very best (even better than Matteo was when he roller skated) so with lighter skates on their feet imo they could do wonders. They ice skated for fun in the past and she managed to land a double axel after very few tries https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=933242700046727&id=100000830160933&refid=52&__tn__=C-R . There were even talks they could switch to figure skating after winning everything that could on rollers, they got many inspiration from figure skating while creating their programs and even travelled to watch figure skating top competitions like gpfinals and worlds. Unfortunately with the sudden death of their coach who was their mentor and the one looking at the figure skating world the most, I'm not sure the switch will ever happen... we are already lucky they didn't give up their sport career at all!
All this said, for beginners figure skating is definitely easier than roller skating and I see a roller skating to figure skating switch at high level definitely more possible than viceversa!

Sk8swan

On the Ice
Perhaps it is much cheaper to skate on concrete than on ice?

Slightly cheaper cause you don't have to pay for ice time but you can skate basically on any regular surface (as a beginner at least). In Italy the sport is spread everywhere because of that so there are many roller skaters and few ice skaters cause we have very few ice skating rinks. So it's basically not a question of picking up the cheaper sport but picking up a sport you can do where you live. The best roller skaters right now come from Bologna area and Rome.... There you have no ice skating facilities where you can practice the sport at high level. Switching to figure skating implies you have not only to invest a lot of money in it but also you have to move to some over places like Milan, like Matteo did.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
That was absolutely gorgeous, and their SBS spins were phenomenal! Thank you for posting it.

i agree the SBS spins!!! wow... but in general, everything is timed perfectly, the jumps too, the foot work.... etc... and the costumes = now i know where md/guarise get their inspiration

Sk8swan

On the Ice
i agree the SBS spins!!! wow... but in general, everything is timed perfectly, the jumps too, the foot work.... etc... and the costumes = now i know where md/guarise get their inspiration

LOL well I would not say that's where Nicole & Matteo get inspiration from... it happens that the lady doing D-M&G's costumes used to make Matteo's costumes when he skated on wheels and is working for the roller skating 'world' (though not doing Luca & Rebecca's costumes afaik) ;)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
LOL well I would not say that's where Nicole & Matteo get inspiration from... it happens that the lady doing D-M&G's costumes used to make Matteo's costumes when he skated on wheels and is working for the roller skating 'world' (though not doing Luca & Rebecca's costumes afaik) ;)

the point i am making is that dm-g's costumes look exactly like those on that video... so if you confirm that the lady who did their costume is matteo's designed when he roller skated, well, i guess i am not far off from the truth : his costumes who are a bit weird for a figure skater seem to be the more common in rollers.... in any case, matteo could wear anything and nothing and i would still enjoy watching him

Sk8swan

On the Ice
the point i am making is that dm-g's costumes look exactly like those on that video... so if you confirm that the lady who did their costume is matteo's designed when he roller skated, well, i guess i am not far off from the truth : his costumes who are a bit weird for a figure skater seem to be the more common in rollers.... in any case, matteo could wear anything and nothing and i would still enjoy watching him

I get you point now... and especially agree with the last sentence you wrote :p

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
In the GP final in Marseille 2016 I was sitting on the judges side middle, sort of behind the cameras where not very many other people came (because of the cameras which actually bothered not at all). The empty seats (it was France, so no numbered seats) around me were occupied at some point by a group of Italians. I speak Italian and started to listen to them and was soon a bit puzzled - they obviously knew a lot about the sport, but were making silly mistakes in their comments.

I started to talk with them and found out that they were from the Italian roller skating scene. Lucaroni was among them. And there was also Sandro Guerra, who is one of the top choreographers for the Italians (they really are the ones to beat in this sport) - he described himself as the "Tatiana Tarasova of roller skating" :biggrin:

It was fun talking with them during the competition because they had the kind of insights that skaters have despite the differences in the sports and they were willing to share them with me.

Though I have not turned into a particular roller skating fan. Somehow it looks clunkier and less developed than what gets done on ice...

E

Sk8swan

On the Ice
Interesting that you got to meet and talk with them! As I mentioned they used to travel to fs competitions and had a close look on the fs world. And yes I can confirm Sandro Guerra is probably the most renowned choreographer of the roller skating world ;)