Watching: All things Asian in August | Golden Skate

Watching: All things Asian in August

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Am so thrilled that this month I've had the wonderful opportunity to watch a television series and two movies featuring Asians in major roles:

Crazy Rich Asians - Based on the book by Kevin Kwan, the Warner Bros movie came out on Aug. 15. The movie is noted for being one of the few films with an all-Asian cast. The story basically is about an Chinese-American economics professor being taken back to her boyfriend's home in Singapore, not knowing his family is well, "crazy rich." Hijinks come!

To All the Boys I've Loved Before - Based on the book by Jenny Han. The story is about a Korean-American girl who writes letters to her crushes but then the letters get sent. More hijinks!

Kim's Convenience - A CBC show about Korean-Canadians in Toronto who own a convenience show. The first two seasons (I believe the third season was aired in Canada) were released on Netflix, opening up the show to a U.S. audience.

Just curious if there are other GS posters who have watch one (or all) of these three. And maybe talk about Asian representation in television and entertainment.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Great topic! There are too many for me to list!

While perhaps a bit OT and not really current:

One of my absolute favorite movies is The Way Home (2002) Korean

My favorite books:
The Orphan Master's Son (Adam Johnson) based on North Korea
The Good Earth (Pearl S. Buck) nineteenth-century China
Snow Flower and the Secret Fan (Lisa See) nineteenth-century China
The Waiting Years (Fumiko Enchi) nineteenth-century Japan

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Am so thrilled that this month I've had the wonderful opportunity to watch a television series and two movies featuring Asians in major roles:

Crazy Rich Asians - Based on the book by Kevin Kwan, the Warner Bros movie came out on Aug. 15. The movie is noted for being one of the few films with an all-Asian cast. The story basically is about an Chinese-American economics professor being taken back to her boyfriend's home in Singapore, not knowing his family is well, "crazy rich." Hijinks come!

To All the Boys I've Loved Before - Based on the book by Jenny Han. The story is about a Korean-American girl who writes letters to her crushes but then the letters get sent. More hijinks!

Kim's Convenience - A CBC show about Korean-Canadians in Toronto who own a convenience show. The first two seasons (I believe the third season was aired in Canada) were released on Netflix, opening up the show to a U.S. audience.

Just curious if there are other GS posters who have watch one (or all) of these three. And maybe talk about Asian representation in television and entertainment.

I've heard about first two and Kwan's book is on my never-ending list of books to read (I am just eager to put my hands on English version, I've become really averse towards Polish translations lately :laugh:, so I try to read everything in original). I wish I could watch some TV series regularly, but I just have no time lately...This second one above is looking interesting though:)

heyang

Record Breaker
The one that started it all The Joy Luck Club. As the daughter of Chinese immigrants, I definitely could associate with many of the story points.

I haven't seen Crazy Rich Asians, yet, but will within the next couple of weeks.

Seruleane

Final Flight
Great topic, Mrs. P! I just watched Crazy Rich Asians last week and am planning to see it again this weekend, so you know I liked it. The movie deviates from the book in many ways: there is not as much satire about the super rich, many of the other characters' storylines are shortened or taken out altogether, and it focuses mostly on the dynamic between Rachel and Eleanor, and how Asian Americans are not truly accepted in Asia. As much as I would have loved to see a movie taken exactly (word by word, scene by scene) from the book, I still thought the movie was done really well. Michelle Yeoh is so fierce yet classy as Eleanor, and Constance Wu pleasantly surprised me as Rachel (who I personally thought was the most boring character in the book). I loved the soundtrack as well. Definitely a movie I will rewatch, and not just because I am Asian.

Btw, speaking about Asian representation in movies, while I am thrilled that has been a big point made for CRA being the first Asian American movie since Joy Luck Club, I get a bit upset that none of these articles mention The Namesake (based on book by Jhumpa Lahiri) from 2006. That was a wonderful movie (in fact, I enjoyed it more than CRA) that featured mostly an Indian-American family, and not mentioning it feels like we are excluding Indian-Americans from the discussion. Not to detract from the success of CRA, but it was just bothering me ;).

Hope to hear many other thoughts about the movie (and other Asian-American movies coming out soon!)

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
Just saw Crazy Rich Asians. Awkwafina completely stole every scene she was in.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I am going to see 'Crazy Rich Asians' next week, dragging one of my work colleagues :laugh::cheer:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I am alittle confused about what eveyone is cheering about? I think alot of this media is very high quality and I plan on seeing Crazy Rich Asians and other shows Mrs. P mentioned as much of it as time allows, just as I enjoy seeing media with First Nations in it. Do people equate this media with the importance of "Hidden Figures"??? Are Asians thought of as somehow "bad" in the US upon the whole or do you think the media underrepresents them? Just Connie Chung and Lucy Lu and that's it?

Asian Americans are 5.6 percent of the total American population. The largest ethnic groups represented in the census were Chinese (3.79 million), Filipino (3.41 million), Indian (3.18 million), Vietnamese (1.73 million), Korean (1.7 million), and Japanese (1.3 million). I certainly dont know how these groups feel about being lumped together. I like to think of people as people, not to be labeled by skin color or ethnic origin. And, as DNA testing has shown us, most of us are Heinz 57s anyway. I am a child of the '50s. I know those sad names given to someone who is half this and half that....and how would you label someone in the census who is half Chineese and half Japanese? Why even try in the 21st century?

Frankly, it makes me alittle uncomfortable when people DO label others by their backround and/or skin color. Or lumping Indians with Filipinos. Lets just lump everyone together.
Why is the "Asian Newscasters Association" better than the "White" newscasters association???? What if I were to take Mrs. P's original post and substitute the word "white" for "Asian"? I would be offended at that too. I am not "white". I am a person who happens by chance to have German and Austro-Hungarian ancestors. So what?

Now, if you want to talk specific CULTURE, that's fine. Having a nice series about a family from Japan, for instance, would be fun and educational. Who didnt learn something good and interesting while watching a movie about a certain Pakistani comedian?

I just dont want to see another Japanese restaurant with the sign, "No Round Eyes"
I dont want to see another water fountain labled "Whites only"
I personally like talking with Tuskeegee Airmen. What they did is history and they are fantastic to listen to. But I dont call them "Black" or "Colored" or whatever. THAT was the problem...not the solution. THEY were the solution, if anyone cared to listen. I call them heros on many levels.
Chris off to Reno to see his heros.

heyang

Record Breaker
I am alittle confused about what eveyone is cheering about? I think alot of this media is very high quality and I plan on seeing Crazy Rich Asians and other shows Mrs. P mentioned as much of it as time allows, just as I enjoy seeing media with First Nations in it. Do people equate this media with the importance of "Hidden Figures"??? Are Asians thought of as somehow "bad" in the US upon the whole or do you think the media underrepresents them? Just Connie Chung and Lucy Lu and that's it?

Asian Americans are 5.6 percent of the total American population. The largest ethnic groups represented in the census were Chinese (3.79 million), Filipino (3.41 million), Indian (3.18 million), Vietnamese (1.73 million), Korean (1.7 million), and Japanese (1.3 million). I certainly dont know how these groups feel about being lumped together. I like to think of people as people, not to be labeled by skin color or ethnic origin. And, as DNA testing has shown us, most of us are Heinz 57s anyway. I am a child of the '50s. I know those sad names given to someone who is half this and half that....and how would you label someone in the census who is half Chineese and half Japanese? Why even try in the 21st century?

Frankly, it makes me alittle uncomfortable when people DO label others by their backround and/or skin color. Or lumping Indians with Filipinos. Lets just lump everyone together.

In most films, Asians are under represented. When they are, they are Kung Fu masters, Asian mobsters, unscrupulous business men, or people who behave goofy (i.e. Long Duck Dong of 16 Candles, some of the characters on Gung Ho.) So for me, as a person of Chinese ancestry who was born and raised in the US, it's refreshing to hear of a movie that features Asian characters in a way that's not stereotypical of the usual Asian roles in movies and TV. I enjoyed watching Joy Luck Club - there were definitely some Chinese-American nuances in the story, but most mothers and daughters could also see the similarities in the relationships of the movie characters to real life mother-daughter relationships, regardless of ancestry.

Michael B Jordan has specifically told his agent that he doesn't want to be sent out for roles that specify a person of color and definitely not stereotypical roles for black males. Obviously, he had exceptions for Creed and Black Panther, but those were well written roles/movies. In a sense you can compare the excitement of a pretty much all black cast in Black Panther to the reaction to Crazy Rich Asians, too - that level of representation in a major film.....

I agree that one would hope that the world would be color blind by now. I think most people try to live their lives that way, but the last few years have also proven that it's not that difficult for something/someone to stir up fear of group of people based upon the actions of a minority of that segment. People being suspect of all Muslims as terrorists, framing Hispanics as law breakers, etc...usually leads to a cycle of fear/suspicion/hate

In the Pantsuit Nation facebook page, someone posted recommendation to read White Fragility: Why It's so hard for white people to talk about Racism. I'll probably start reading it this weekend. Although I am of Chinese ancestry, I did grow up in an area that was probably 49% white- 49% black and 2 % other. I'm not a real Chinese person because I don't speak Chinese and I don't act like a traditional Chinese woman. LOL - once someone gave my phone # to a Chinese guy. When he called me, we had a brief conversation - no date. He called his friend back and said 'why'd you give me the phone # of a white girl?" I've also had a recruiter I had never met face to face compliment me on my spoken English skills - my response 'I would hope so since I was born and raised in the US'. For all he knew, my last name was Asian because it was my husband's name, he made an incorrect assumption.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
In most films, Asians are under represented. When they are, they are Kung Fu masters, Asian mobsters, unscrupulous business men, or people who behave goofy (i.e. Long Duck Dong of 16 Candles, some of the characters on Gung Ho.) So for me, as a person of Chinese ancestry who was born and raised in the US, it's refreshing to hear of a movie that features Asian characters in a way that's not stereotypical of the usual Asian roles in movies and TV. I enjoyed watching Joy Luck Club - there were definitely some Chinese-American nuances in the story, but most mothers and daughters could also see the similarities in the relationships of the movie characters to real life mother-daughter relationships, regardless of ancestry.

Michael B Jordan has specifically told his agent that he doesn't want to be sent out for roles that specify a person of color and definitely not stereotypical roles for black males. Obviously, he had exceptions for Creed and Black Panther, but those were well written roles/movies. In a sense you can compare the excitement of a pretty much all black cast in Black Panther to the reaction to Crazy Rich Asians, too - that level of representation in a major film.....

I agree that one would hope that the world would be color blind by now. I think most people try to live their lives that way, but the last few years have also proven that it's not that difficult for something/someone to stir up fear of group of people based upon the actions of a minority of that segment. People being suspect of all Muslims as terrorists, framing Hispanics as law breakers, etc...usually leads to a cycle of fear/suspicion/hate

In the Pantsuit Nation facebook page, someone posted recommendation to read White Fragility: Why It's so hard for white people to talk about Racism. I'll probably start reading it this weekend. Although I am of Chinese ancestry, I did grow up in an area that was probably 49% white- 49% black and 2 % other. I'm not a real Chinese person because I don't speak Chinese and I don't act like a traditional Chinese woman. LOL - once someone gave my phone # to a Chinese guy. When he called me, we had a brief conversation - no date. He called his friend back and said 'why'd you give me the phone # of a white girl?" I've also had a recruiter I had never met face to face compliment me on my spoken English skills - my response 'I would hope so since I was born and raised in the US'. For all he knew, my last name was Asian because it was my husband's name, he made an incorrect assumption.

I respect your point of view, but my experience growing up in the 1950s-60s was way more positive. Using a broad interpretation of what we in the US might percieve as "Asian" There were types like Detective Charley Chan and his kids, there was David Carridine in the excellent TV series "Kung Fu" which was very positive, There was the epic Rogers and Hammerstein anti racism musical "South Pacific" that delt with racism against Islanders and anyone that was different. There was Nancy Kwan in "Flower Drum Song". There were the Chinese in WWII movies (Flying Tigers, 30 seconds over Tokio) , many of whom of course gave up their lives for US servicemen. I hate talking about "blood content," DNA, etc but the US Census says alittle over 1 percent of our population is Chineese. I dont think they are underrepresented or put forth as evil souped up car gang members at all. I watched a movie on board a cruise ship this spring called "Picture Bride" about a Japanese city girl becoming the wife of an Hawaiin /Japanese sugar cain field worker (produced by Production Companies ,Cecile Films, Miramax and Thousand Cranes Filmworks) which was excellent.
I wont live to see it but I hope some day some of our kids and grandkids wont be taught...oh so carefully taught...to hate due to someone looking different, or having a different religion. The only way that is gonna happen is if societies stop labeling people. Watch this youtube very carefully.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHxFuO2Nk-0

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker

This makes me very sad...and the media of all types is to blame for the advancement of racism. I hope some day "Crazy Rich Asians" will be just a good film. Like "Kung Fu" was a good TV series about a good man who happened to be "Asian". Organizations like CAFE are walking a very fine tightrope. Diverse cultural representation is fine. Catorigizing people by the shape of their eyes or color of their skin is not. They are two way different things. I happen to believe that MK and Mirai became good skaters in part due to good family values possibly due to the culture of their Parents and how they were taught. I dont think they became good skaters due to their eyes looking different than other skaters. (I AM proud of Mirai for apologizing for calling her boyfriend "white". )

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I respect your point of view, but my experience growing up in the 1950s-60s was way more positive. Using a broad interpretation of what we in the US might percieve as "Asian" There were types like Detective Charley Chan and his kids, there was David Carridine in the excellent TV series "Kung Fu" which was very positive, There was the epic Rogers and Hammerstein anti racism musical "South Pacific" that delt with racism against Islanders and anyone that was different. There was Nancy Kwan in "Flower Drum Song". There were the Chinese in WWII movies (Flying Tigers, 30 seconds over Tokio) , many of whom of course gave up their lives for US servicemen. I hate talking about "blood content," DNA, etc but the US Census says alittle over 1 percent of our population is Chineese. I dont think they are underrepresented or put forth as evil souped up car gang members at all. I watched a movie on board a cruise ship this spring called "Picture Bride" about a Japanese city girl becoming the wife of an Hawaiin /Japanese sugar cain field worker (produced by Production Companies ,Cecile Films, Miramax and Thousand Cranes Filmworks) which was excellent.
I wont live to see it but I hope some day some of our kids and grandkids wont be taught...oh so carefully taught...to hate due to someone looking different, or having a different religion. The only way that is gonna happen is if societies stop labeling people. Watch this youtube very carefully.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHxFuO2Nk-0

Chris, I understand where you are coming from. I know that folks in the majority (like I am in the majority ethnic group, at least for now:biggrin: in the US) like to say that pride in a minority group is “labeling” or “divisive”. But if it is not to those folks, then who am I to say? I can’t. (And if hear one more Irish American, such as myself, talk about well, heck, I don’t label myself Irish, why do other people insist on a hyphen, I’m going to hit them over the head with my old lady cane. For reelz, not cyber canes :)) if I tell you that I am Philadelphian, bleed green, will only root for the Eagles and eat cheesesteaks, does that make me any less American?

David Carradine was not of Asian descent, which was part of the issue with Kung Fu. When it is literally the only show with an Asian character as a lead, they couldn’t find one Asian actor equal to David Carradine? Puzzling. My understanding is that some Asian Americans are uncomfortable with Charlie Chan (whom I also believe was portrayed by a non-Asian). I’ve not seen one Charlie Chan flick, believe it or not, so I can’t say from my experience.

And to bring it to the current topic, I will probably never see Crazy Rich Asians because I cannot tell you the last RomCom I watched. Sleepless in Seattle?:scratch3: But I’m glad it exists.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Chris, I understand where you are coming from. I know that folks in the majority (like I am in the majority ethnic group, at least for now:biggrin: in the US) like to say that pride in a minority group is “labeling” or “divisive”. But if it is not to those folks, then who am I to say? I can’t. (And if hear one more Irish American, such as myself, talk about well, heck, I don’t label myself Irish, why do other people insist on a hyphen, I’m going to hit them over the head with my old lady cane. For reelz, not cyber canes :)) if I tell you that I am Philadelphian, bleed green, will only root for the Eagles and eat cheesesteaks, does that make me any less American?

David Carradine was not of Asian descent, which was part of the issue with Kung Fu. When it is literally the only show with an Asian character as a lead, they couldn’t find one Asian actor equal to David Carradine? Puzzling. My understanding is that some Asian Americans are uncomfortable with Charlie Chan (whom I also believe was portrayed by a non-Asian). I’ve not seen one Charlie Chan flick, believe it or not, so I can’t say from my experience.

And to bring it to the current topic, I will probably never see Crazy Rich Asians because I cannot tell you the last RomCom I watched. Sleepless in Seattle?:scratch3: But I’m glad it exists.

Good points all. Yes, the day of the "Northern European" being the majority is numbered and already passe in certain areas. Like Tiger Woods says, to paraphrase, we are all Heinz 57s. You are correct about David and Charlie but I did not know that at the time.
While there were many good things about the 50s and 60s, diversity was not one of them. I like to dream that if JFK, MLK and others had lived, and Vietnam hadnt happened, we would be a much better country than we are now. Unfortunately, the political use of race by both sides seems to have stopped progress for at least awhile. We can all try and be better people. I like the way the Tuskeegee Airmen fought predjudice...for the most part quietly but with action. When I got the top score on a test for a City of Spokane traffic signal repair person, but was not given the job as I wasnt of the right genetic backround, I shrugged and still worked my way up the ladder another way.

My concern is that we HAVE come along way from "Hidden Figures" days, which I vividly remember. And we need to keep going. So we cant fall back now by this ridiculas labeling of people and so called minorities and how they are downtroden. The correct path is to oppose those that would show prejudice for or against anyone due to genetic makeup, sex, religion, and physical imparement. That is why I posted the youtube vid of the blue eyed brown eyed experiments. Its the most important youtube you will ever watch.

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
A bit off topic — Nora Lum (aka Awkwafina) is hosting SNL on Oct. 6. SNL’s been a bit hit or miss for me lately when I catch it, but I hope she slays! I think she’s so uniquely talented.:luv17: