Canadian Summer comps 2018 | Golden Skate

Canadian Summer comps 2018

Quite unimpressive summer season with very few exceptions. I think we are in good shape in dance but talent in the other disciplines look bleak for the 2022 games. Senior single events were well attended by a large fan crowd at GTSA. All but two of the Junior ladies looked unprepared for assignments, after a full summer of training I expected so much more from that group. Few skaters in other categories pulled away from the pack except for some, very remarkable results in pre-novice ladies yesterday. 2A3T, 2T3T, 3L< by 3 11-12 year olds, many scored over 100! The Canadian record should repeatedly fall again this year at Challenge making for one great competition. I'm not a big fan of Edmonton in December but I don't think this is going to be an event to miss.

nadster

Final Flight
My thoughts - tried to watch as much junior/senior as possible and read protocols for the most part for lower levels in singles.

Men: Impressed with the junior men and I can see some of them being on the Olympic team in 2022. Not so impressed with novice and below ( based mainly at looking at protocols )

Ladies: What is obvious is that there is more talent at the novice and pre-novice levels right now than there is at the junior and senior levels.( Osmond , Gabby excepted ). I will give more time to Cotop's change to Ravi ( fixing technique often involves taking one step back to go 2 steps forward ).

Pairs: I think Brasseur/Bardei are an exciting new pairing. Obviously need more time to get used to each other but the first signs are very promising. Most impressed with Brooke MCINTOSH / Brandon TOSTE among the juniors.

Dance: Lots of potential here and very impressed with the new junior pairings. Have not seen any novice or pre-novice to make comment.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I think we are in good shape in dance but talent in the other disciplines look bleak for the 2022 games.
Men’s and dance look very solid right now, I’d say. With dance we frankly have more good senior teams than can be easily made use of, L/L are looking to have a great final junior season, and there’s some nice developing talent in juniors. For men, the senior ranks currently aren’t established contenders for major international medals, but there’s enough talent to carry things for the time being; Keegan’s free skate, if he can make it work, would score huge, and Nam looks the best he has in about four years in the summer competitions. The junior men’s ranks have some really exciting people.

As far as the next Olympics goes, I think it’s very hard to assess the pairs field. The current seniors field is in the midst of a big shakeup, and we don’t even know what (if anything) Julianne and Charlie will end up doing separately. KMT/Marinaro were taking it easy for part of the summer because of Kirsten’s injury recovery, as well.

Ladies is a big question mark. The senior/junior field, as we long knew, is pretty barren other than the two big guns, one of whose continuing status is presently unknown (probably even to herself). We’ll have to see if anybody else can make a big leap over the next few years, like Kaetlyn did in 2012.