Judging Pairs and Synchro | Golden Skate

Judging Pairs and Synchro

SmallAminal

On the Ice
I was wondering how judges manage to keep track of both skaters when judging pairs. For example, in SBS jumps, how can they keep track of whether one did a double instead of a triple or one had a wrong takeoff edge and the other didn't? Or one had very poor GOE and the other was good. Are there two judges to keep track of each skater's jumps? It just strikes me as really hard to pay attention to all of the important details when you have to keep track of two skaters jumping.

The problem is amplified for Synchro - I realize that part of the idea is how "synchronized" the team is, but can one judge really see if one of the skaters flubs something a little bit?

gkelly

Record Breaker
I was wondering how judges manage to keep track of both skaters when judging pairs. For example, in SBS jumps, how can they keep track of whether one did a double instead of a triple or one had a wrong takeoff edge and the other didn't? Or one had very poor GOE and the other was good. Are there two judges to keep track of each skater's jumps? It just strikes me as really hard to pay attention to all of the important details when you have to keep track of two skaters jumping.

There are 3 people on the technical panel. The tech panel's job is to determine exactly what the skaters did, including rotations and takeoff edges on jumps. Usually for side-by-side elements one member of the tech panel focuses on the man and another focuses on the lady. They review elements on video afterward that were unclear in real time; for some kinds of reviews they use slow motion.

For jump rotations, if the partners did different numbers of revolutions the tech panel calls the lower revolution jump. (If one did a triple and the other did a double, they would call the double.)

If there are underrotation/downgrade or edge calls, the < or << or e call gets added to the element code that the judges get to see on their computers.

So judges get alerted by the tech panel calls if there was a problem with the jumps and are supposed to reduce their GOE accordingly.

I've heard the advice that judges should try to look between the skaters when judging side-by-side elements. However, that is easier at some angles than others.

At elite events the judges also have access to video replay.

The problem is amplified for Synchro - I realize that part of the idea is how "synchronized" the team is, but can one judge really see if one of the skaters flubs something a little bit?

Synchro skating is not so much about jumps, but yes, it's certainly possible that one skater might flub a turn or step or edge. I don't know much about synchro judging, but I think the main thing judges are looking for is the big picture of unison among the whole team. If there's a flub that affects the timing or positioning of one of the skaters, they will stand out and the judges will probably notice and reflect that in their GOEs.

The technical panel is also looking closely at what the skaters are doing and can divide tasks among the 3 tech panel members, as well as using video review afterward.