Underused Warhorse Pieces | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Underused Warhorse Pieces

Alchamei

Record Breaker
Underused warhorse is an oxymoron to me. If it's underused how can it be a warhorse? I always thought warhorses were OVERused pieces of music like POTO, the dreaded Carmen, FOTO, etc.

There are so many beautiful and appropriate pieces of music out there for figure skating programs it always irritates me when the coaches and choreographers go back to the same ol' same ol' music. I feel like it's extreme laziness on their part because they already have the cuts taped and timed. Want new fresh stuff.

Did you read the Original post? The point of this thread is to point out undersued pieces of warhorse music. Warhorses are overused, but in some cases, there are still some pieces that are never heard from them.

leoleo

Medalist
Is send in the clowns considered a warhorse? i've seen quite a few programs but not as many as the carmens! i like it!
i agree with the lark ascending! Yuna's was fantastic, i want that soundtrack back on the ice :luv17:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Verdi is rarely used, and, although operatic voices might be a little much, the Cincinnatti Pops orchestra has versions without voice. Possibilities would range from opera scores to the Requiem. IIRC, one of Gordeeva and Grinkov's last pieces was from the Requiem. Skip the elephant march in Aida and maybe the drinking song in La Traviata as being inappropriate for for the ice and/or family audiences, but I would say there are many possibilities. And for those skaters who like choreography that culminates in a tragic death, there's plenty of that, too.

thank goodness :)

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Lark Ascending. I wish more skaters would skate to this music. Yuna's version was superb! Too bad she never skated it clean.

I agree... it is truly beautiful. Another Vaughn Williams piece that has strains of "Lark" in it is "Fantasia on a,Theme" ... great possibilities there but I don't know if it has ever been used in a skating program before...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ihx5LCF1yJY

s_parks

Record Breaker
Not sure if this counts, but I feel like I haven't heard Prokofiev's R&J in a while. Or maybe it's just me being irritated at the 5 million movie soundtrack R&J programs.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Not sure if this counts, but I feel like I haven't heard Prokofiev's R&J in a while. Or maybe it's just me being irritated at the 5 million movie soundtrack R&J programs.

Bobrova/Soloviev used Dance of the Knights in the second part of their 2015/2016 SD.

rlopen

On the Ice
I feel like Spartacus has been VERY underused as of late. You'd think that with Spartacus being perfect warhorse material with the Adagio that it would be used more, but I barely see any Spartacus programs anymore once the 6.0 system ended. Only ones I can really recall past that point were Michelle Kwan's, Ashley Wagner's, and Domnina/Shabalin using it.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
I feel like Spartacus has been VERY underused as of late. You'd think that with Spartacus being perfect warhorse material with the Adagio that it would be used more, but I barely see any Spartacus programs anymore once the 6.0 system ended. Only ones I can really recall past that point were Michelle Kwan's, Ashley Wagner's, and Domnina/Shabalin using it.

Weaver/Poje's intended FD for the Olympic season was Spartacus. However, they felt that they could relate to Je Suis Malade much better and it turned out to be a good choice, as W/P was able to get back onto the WP with a WBM.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
How come 'Anything Goes' remains almost unused in FS? It has been around for many decades, got revived multiple times, the title song is upbeat and has a nice tap section that skaters can incorporate, and other famous songs like You're the Top. Hopefully with Broadway RDs next season, we will see a more diverse set of musicals used.

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
BillNeal, love your thread topics and thanks for keeping the forum interesting during the off season...

This topic has actually been discussed before (but I wouldn't call it a "warhorse" yet, unlike how much prerotation is too much or which lady has the best 3Lz :laugh:):

https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?55683-Parts-of-warhorses-that-should-be-used-more

As for my thoughts on this...
Has any top skater ever used "Last Night of the World" in a Miss Saigon program? I don't recall

furyflame

Rinkside
I don't know if this counts but I am always in shock that this isn't used for many ladies short programs.

Also Jupiter by Gustav Holst is surprisingly underused considering how it has everything a free skate could ask for.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
BillNeal, love your thread topics and thanks for keeping the forum interesting during the off season...

As for my thoughts on this...
Has any top skater ever used "Last Night of the World" in a Miss Saigon program? I don't recall

Didn't Nancy Kerrigan & Paul Wylie skate to it during the exhibition from the 1992 Albertville Olympics?

Also Jupiter by Gustav Holst is surprisingly underused considering how it has everything a free skate could ask for.

Oh, I loved when Fumie Suguri skated to it competitively (circa 2000/2001)? Ditto for Mao's exhibition program to it (with the vocals - "I Vow to Thee My Country').

* message to edenlover - Todd Eldredge's 1998 Olympic/Worlds/Goodwill Games short program was an instrumental "Les Mis" medley that included a segment of "Master of the House" (with some nice flourishes). I could also picture Kurt Browning skating to it. :biggrin:

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
Didn't Nancy Kerrigan & Paul Wylie skate to it during the exhibition from the 1994 Lillehammer Olympics?

Thank you, I never saw it before. It's quite beautiful! (With a terrible music edit that's very apropos for a Nancy program :cool14:)

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^ Oops!, I meant to say the 1992 Albertville Olympics! I guess I got confused with the 1994 Lillehammer Olympics when Oksana Bauil & Viktor Petrenko skated together in an exhibition piece (In the Mood/Rock Around the Clock) - gee, I liked that one, too. Anyway, I corrected it!

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
* message to edenlover - Todd Eldredge's 1998 Olympic/Worlds/Goodwill Games short program was an instrumental "Les Mis" medley that included a segment of "Master of the House" (with some nice flourishes) I could also picture Kurt Browning skating to it. :biggrin:

Master of the House is definitely a quirky piece that should be used more often. Retired junior team Edwards/Pang won the WJC bronze medal in 2014 with their Les Mis FD that includes this song: https://youtu.be/QpA86EPcbiY?t=95