Underused Warhorse Pieces | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Underused Warhorse Pieces

labgoat

Female thinker deep in various thoughts
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't know if this counts but I am always in shock that this isn't used for many ladies short programs.

Also Jupiter by Gustav Holst is surprisingly underused considering how it has everything a free skate could ask for.

Yes! I keep hoping some US pair will do the Planets as a salute to Tai & Randy's win in 1979. I was hoping for Tarah & Danny or Nika Digerness? and her partner? who caught my eye last season.

labgoat

Female thinker deep in various thoughts
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Didn't Nancy Kerrigan & Paul Wylie skate to it during the exhibition from the 1992 Albertville Olympics?

Oh, I loved when Fumie Suguri skated to it competitively (circa 2000/2001)? Ditto for Mao's exhibition program to it (with the vocals - "I Vow to Thee My Country').

* message to edenlover - Todd Eldredge's 1998 Olympic/Worlds/Goodwill Games short program was an instrumental "Les Mis" medley that included a segment of "Master of the House" (with some nice flourishes) I could also picture Kurt Browning skating to it. :biggrin:

I too loved Todd's programs. He always showed off a lot of transitions done at great speed. He would have been a great code do points skater, I think. My favorite was First Knight and Swing Kids.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Although I'm tired of seeing skaters perform Les Mis
Empty Chairs is a wonderful song, maybe my favorite in the show, and I don't think I've ever seen it used in skating.

IICC, Viktor Petrenko skated to it in the COI tour. Todd Eldredge skated to it @ a show that we attended in October 1998 - "Skaters' Tribute to Broadway." It was televised a few days later,and the whole show is on Youtube! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EhgPtjBXB0&t=2815s @ 1:08:04.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
I've always loved Erik Satie, and apart from Kwan using a bit of Gymnopedie 3 in Lyra Angelica, I can't think of anyone else using his pieces. They create so much space and lightness that it would fit any contemporary-styled choreography.

Also wondered why the other songs from POTO like 'Masquerade' and 'Prima Donna' aren't used.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
sheherazade for boys, the golden slave would be a great character to perform; also some great powerful music from verdi like the gypsy choir from il trovatore or vissi d'arte from puccini's tosca

crazydreamer

On the Ice
I would think now that lyrics are allowed there would be more Queen and Beatles. I'd consider those groups' songs "warhorses" just because everybody and their mother knows most of them.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
vissi d'arte from puccini's tosca

This. E lucevan le stelle has a powerful melody, great for a dramatic skate but it's so overused that this aria only is a warhorse not the opera itself. Same with Nessun dorma and Turandot.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would think now that lyrics are allowed there would be more Queen and Beatles. I'd consider those groups' songs "warhorses" just because everybody and their mother knows most of them.

I would love to see more Beatles in skating (loved Adam's medley)....

but please no more Queen:hopelessness: No more Bohemian Rhapsody and in particular *no* *more* "Who wants to live forever". Not me, and I don't want to hear it forever either.....;)

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
I don't know if I'd call Singin' in the Rain a warhorse, but I'm surprised no one has used any cuts from the Broadway Melody sequence, especially the music from the vamp dance scene.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

but please no more Queen:hopelessness: No more Bohemian Rhapsody and in particular *no* *more* "Who wants to live forever". Not me, and I don't want to hear it forever either.....;)

If I hear Bohemian Rhapsody again, I want to hear it with full on Queen vocals, and not some awful elevator music version.

When performed, I want head banging. I want the whole Queen experience.

Kevin Reynolds let me down when he did not skate to this. Perhaps another worthy skater will take it on.

lesnar001

Record Breaker
If I hear Bohemian Rhapsody again, I want to hear it with full on Queen vocals, and not some awful elevator music version.

When performed, I want head banging. I want the whole Queen experience.

Kevin Reynolds let me down when he did not skate to this. Perhaps another worthy skater will take it on.

I would like to see the following "All Queen" programs....

Bohemian Rhapsody for the long program

Crazy Little Thing Called Love for the short program.

And they both have to be the Queen version.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker

If anyone wants to skate to "who wants to live forever" they must combine it with "I don't want to live forever" (from Taylor Swift and that one direction guy) and "Live forever" by Oasis just so we can enjoy the musical irony of it all. It's my new rule. I really need to write my rules down somewhere.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

It's a sad reflection on me, but whenever I hear the words "Bohemian Rhapsody", I immediately and only think of...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op7jk_mL30w

... and no please no, that is not a challenge to the skaters....

More Rocky Horror! I wants it, I needs it..make it so!

Okay, which of the guys has the best legs for Frank-N-Furter?

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
This. E lucevan le stelle has a powerful melody, great for a dramatic skate but it's so overused that this aria only is a warhorse not the opera itself. Same with Nessun dorma and Turandot.

or ridi pagliaccio:rolleye:

More Rocky Horror! I wants it, I needs it..make it so!

toucha toucha touch me could be funny (if not assigned to an underage girl)!