Phantom Special experience | Golden Skate

Phantom Special experience

likevelvet

#Bless this mess
On the Ice
Country
United-States
I’ve had Matrix lightweight blades for years now, but I’ve decided it’s time to start hunting around for more of a spin rocker. The Matrix Elite has an 8’ rocker and a crazy aggressive drag pick and Id like to get my toe pick a little bit more clearance.

I have an opportunity to grab someone’s barely used MK phantom specials, but the last time I was in an MK I do remember them still having pretty beastly picks. Still, coming from an 8’ rocker, would I even notice this since i’m quite used to being on the right part of the blade? I want to have a little bit more deliberacy on digging my pick into the ice. My coach and friends have no clue about Phantom specifically. The Special apparently has a dovetail edge style, which Im excited about since I like particularly sharp blades and edges that hold. I’m going to ask my fitter, but he’s more well versed in Ultima and Eclipse, so I figured I’d put the call out to see if anyone has used this blade. Or, any guidance on what blades have a nice, round spin rocker and still have the versatility to accommodate me throwing mostly doubles and occasional triples? I’d prefer not to go Matrix or Paramount, I think - I’d like to be able to use regular guards. That’s one of the two things that’s annoyed me with the Matrices. Lol.

Any thoughts?

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I’ve had Matrix lightweight blades for years now, but I’ve decided it’s time to start hunting around for more of a spin rocker. The Matrix Elite has an 8’ rocker and a crazy aggressive drag pick and Id like to get my toe pick a little bit more clearance.

I have an opportunity to grab someone’s barely used MK phantom specials, but the last time I was in an MK I do remember them still having pretty beastly picks. Still, coming from an 8’ rocker, would I even notice this since i’m quite used to being on the right part of the blade? I want to have a little bit more deliberacy on digging my pick into the ice. My coach and friends have no clue about Phantom specifically. The Special apparently has a dovetail edge style, which Im excited about since I like particularly sharp blades and edges that hold. I’m going to ask my fitter, but he’s more well versed in Ultima and Eclipse, so I figured I’d put the call out to see if anyone has used this blade. Or, any guidance on what blades have a nice, round spin rocker and still have the versatility to accommodate me throwing mostly doubles and occasional triples? I’d prefer not to go Matrix or Paramount, I think - I’d like to be able to use regular guards. That’s one of the two things that’s annoyed me with the Matrices. Lol.

Any thoughts?

<<Emphasis added>> I have no experience with Phantom Specials, so I can't respond to your main question. But with respect to your secondary question:

(1) For some informative background, look at the Paramount videos on "Blade Profiles" and "Lift Angles":

https://www.paramountskates.com/videos

You'll see that what you call toe pick clearance is determined by the lift angle: essentially how steep an angle you raise the heel of your blade before your drag pick touches the ice. It's not a simple issue of 8' rocker vs. 7' rocker. Several factors come into play: e.g., main rocker radius, spin rocker profile, drag pick size, and drag pick placement.

(2) If you want to keep an 8' radius main rocker, but have a relatively small drag pick in combination with a large lift angle, an alternative blade to consider is the Wilson Gold Seal. It has a pronounced (small radius, 12") spin rocker. It comes in two versions: (1) side-honed with taper profile and (2) side-honed with parabolic profile. The side honing provides a concave transverse cross-section, rather than a dovetail transverse cross-section as in the Phantom Special; but the net result is to provide an edge with more bite. My coach loves the Gold Seal for spinning. Elite skaters perform doubles, triples, and quads with this blade. For what you want, you should probably stick with the original Wilson Gold Seal. Copies by other manufacturers (Paramount, Ultima, and Eclipse) are not identical clones. [I went with the Paramount version because I wanted 440C stainless steel, and it maintains the same spin rocker. The Ultima and Eclipse versions have flatter spin rockers.]

likevelvet

#Bless this mess
On the Ice
Country
United-States
Thanks! I had heard that about the Gold Seal. It’s been on my list of blades to consider since I made the decision to look for new ones. I had never heard of the Phantom Special before this pair became available so was curious if anyone else has used them. I do know lots of people in P99 but not as many in Gold Seals. Thanks for the perspective of your coach, too, that’s good to know.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Any thoughts?

The only thing that's really different between the Phantom and the Phantom Special is the dovetail and the solid soleplate. The rocker is 7 foot and the RoH is 7/16". The blade does allow for really nice precision sharpening, but at that rate you might as well just get the Phantom (which is cheaper by about $20), and is side-honed and tapered.
The picks are not as ginormous as you think compared to my P99. With what you are describing as your preferences though, my recommendation for you would be the JW Gold Seal.

Good luck! :biggrin: