2018-19 British figure skating | Page 16 | Golden Skate

2018-19 British figure skating

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Surely out of all of the countries bidding it's our turn? 10 years is a long gap between hosting championships? Basically I'm trying to talk this into existence because yay for minimal travel! Although I see that it's only Europe who has bid for World's that year which is handy :)

I would love for us to get the Euros bid. I think us and Tallinn are the only ones who haven’t hosted and ISU competition in the last couple of years.

Part of me wishes British Ice Skating has bid for Worlds but the fact that it’s the Europeans before the Olympics is awesome!

Come on, we don't even need to guess - we already know the answer.

Next year's Junior Synchro Worlds is in Nottingham, so the next event the UK gets after that, it'll be Sheffield's turn.

Regular as clockwork... :rolleye:

By the way, have you seen the Predictions Game Hall Of Fame post for the WTT yet? Let's just say you might like the look of it... ;) :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

Yes I saw, it was total luck I got silver! xD Thank you for your hard work!

litenkyckling

Final Flight
Part of me wishes British Ice Skating has bid for Worlds but the fact that it’s the Europeans before the Olympics is awesome!

My dream would be a Glasgow World's one day - I will forever stand by the point that it is the perfect host city in the UK - accessible venue (Hydro), lots of hotels, accessible by both Glasgow and Edinburgh airports, not too big, has proven it can hold big sporting events, and lastly, very selfishly, a cheap and easy option for myself! Euros in Sheffield would be great (and yes, especially because pre-Beijing!!) but I would definitely argue that Glasgow will always be the better option. If they expect fans from all over to travel for miles to get there, I think we should be offering a full cultural experience for them to enjoy -- and a venue pretty much in the centre of a city famed for a thriving arts, music and sports scene is the best way to do this. (In my very humble opinion, obvs.)

pesto

On the Ice
I went last time it was in Sheffield. It was great, but I would love somewhere else to get a go.

From here in SE England, Glasgow's a long way, and expensive to get to, though we have relatives on the outskirts of the city.

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
My dream would be a Glasgow World's one day - I will forever stand by the point that it is the perfect host city in the UK - accessible venue (Hydro), lots of hotels, accessible by both Glasgow and Edinburgh airports, not too big, has proven it can hold big sporting events, and lastly, very selfishly, a cheap and easy option for myself! Euros in Sheffield would be great (and yes, especially because pre-Beijing!!) but I would definitely argue that Glasgow will always be the better option. If they expect fans from all over to travel for miles to get there, I think we should be offering a full cultural experience for them to enjoy -- and a venue pretty much in the centre of a city famed for a thriving arts, music and sports scene is the best way to do this. (In my very humble opinion, obvs.)

It would be my selfish and unbiased wish for Cardiff to host an event, you have the brand new ice arena where the Devils play in Cardiff Bay, or the Motorpoint Arena which is right in the centre of the city. Obviously there are numerous hotels, bars, restaurants, sights to see with it being the capital, and you've got easy access via Cardiff Airport or Bristol, and it's only 2 hours from London via train. Plus the city is more than capable of hosting big events, having taken on Olympic sporting events, boxing events, and most obviously the rugby every year! As said, I might be biased because it's my city, but it would be amazing to see somewhere else get a turn at hosting!!

pesto

On the Ice
Cardiff would be a lot easier for me, and my BiL speaks very highly of the ice arena - he's a hockey dad, and has seen more rinks than hot dinners in recent years.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
I’m also selfish and kinda wish for Glasgow as I’m from Edinburgh and the Hydro is such and amazing venue and could easily be converted to a rink. The combined European Championships were amazing last year! The city was electric!

But regardless I think we can all agree we’re tried of Sheffield and Nottingham! xD

As it is I’m just happy BIS made a bid and I really hope they win! I wish there was something I could do to help them have a better chance of success.

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
BIS Official Opening in Sheffield

So they started off in London, moved to Nottingham, and are now based in Sheffield, BIS had their Official Opening celeb VIP event today with Jayne Torvill & Robin Cousins cutting the ribbon.

Pics galore at their Twitter account: https://twitter.com/BritishIceSkate

PJ is literally one inch taller than JT who is only 5ft, so he must be shorter than I imagined. Looks good in a suit though. :cool:

My personal view is that if BIS put the Euros bid in to the ISU for any other UK city it would stand a better chance of getting it than Sheffield. Sorry, but it is a small arena, especially compared to the magnificently huge and full Minsk this year, and what's there for visitors to see when not at the arena?

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
I’ve never been to Sheffield other than driving through. I’ll have to go back and remind myself of how they did in 2012. If Sheffield has any advantage it’s not too far from the most accessible hub airport in the world Heathrow.

icybear

Medalist
I’m also selfish and kinda wish for Glasgow as I’m from Edinburgh and the Hydro is such and amazing venue and could easily be converted to a rink. The combined European Championships were amazing last year! The city was electric!

But regardless I think we can all agree we’re tried of Sheffield and Nottingham! xD

As it is I’m just happy BIS made a bid and I really hope they win! I wish there was something I could do to help them have a better chance of success.

I went to the Hydro for Worlds gymnastics championships in 2015. It's a very circular arena though, not sure how they would be able to put in a rink.

litenkyckling

Final Flight
I went to the Hydro for Worlds gymnastics championships in 2015. It's a very circular arena though, not sure how they would be able to put in a rink.

I know that this isn't totally comparable, but they use the Hydro for Disney on Ice so there is definitely a way of getting a rink in there. (This is also not that relevant to the event running BUT I think that it would look really good on the drone footage they like to do of the arena.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
When will the decision on the host of the 2022 European Championships be made? And when the ISU are allocating Championships, are they allocating them specifically to the city or just to the country / Federation?

I'm just wondering if it is possible for things to be moved about within the country after the ISU have made the decision.

Sorry if I sound like I'm flogging a dead horse, but I still love the idea of having the 2020 Synchro Junior Worlds at Wembley Arena to mark 70 years since the Figure Skating Worlds were held there. (See my previous post for more information on this idea)

And in return for this, Nottingham could host the 2022 European Championships instead.

Perfect solution! ;) :biggrin:

But, even if the ISU would allow NISA to do this, I can't see it happening. If NISA wanted London to host the 2020 Synchro Junior Worlds, they would have allocated it to London. No, the routine of alternating between Nottingham and Sheffield is too ingrained now, and they see breaking away from it as too much of a risk.

CaroLiza_fan

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Looking at a Finland’s bid, which is for Helsinki or Espoo, I think it must just go to the Fed.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Looking at a Finland’s bid, which is for Helsinki or Espoo, I think it must just go to the Fed.

I feel like I read somewhere that it would be in June? But I might have made that up!

Thanks so much for the answers, guys. :thank:

I don't normally pay much attention to the bidding processes for the Majors, so don't know all the ins and outs of how it works.

But, if the opposition is Finland, I don't fancy our chances. Not only has Finland got great facilities, but they can draw more support. Plus, it is actually longer since they last hosted Europeans (2009 in Helsinki) than we did (2012 in Sheffield).

That said, the fact that Finland hosted Worlds far more recently (2017 in Helsinki) than we did (1995 in Birmingham) could play into our hands.

Speaking of which, has anybody got any opinions on what the NEC is like for hosting a figure skating competition? After all, unlike the alternative venues to Nottingham and Sheffield that we have suggested so far, it has actually hosted a figure skating Major within the past 25 years.

CaroLiza_fan

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Does anyone live in a region that gets Calender ITV News? A reporter was at the BIS Opening yesterday, but I can't find a video report anywhere?

Caro_LizaFan - Birmingham-NEC was hugely successful as a venue for Europeans and Worlds.

The thing about Sheffield is, it's a small venue, and the only audience will be travelling there. The British Championships has attracted no local audience for years, the only folk you see are parents of the skaters, and die hard fans who travelled (some as far as Japan). What has been great about the Eastern European cities that have hosted Euros recently is that the local population filled the arenas, were enthusiastic and created a great atmosphere, and were much bigger venues.

uhh

Medalist
Sheffield Arena is about the same size as several recent venues - it's got a total capacity of 13,000~, which is about the same as Globen Arena in Stockholm when it's configured for skating, and when Sweden hosted Euros in 2015 not all sections in the arena went on sale. It also works better as a venue than many other UK alternatives because iceSheffield is a two minute walk away for use as the practice rink - most of the other venues suggested on this thread would require either a temporary rink as the practice rink or a longer trip with a shuttle bus from the main arena, both of which add to the hosting cost.

In 2012, there was a reasonable local audience - especially they did well with getting people in with cheap tickets on the weekdays - but the LOC need to do a better job with their marketing. Simple things, but every NISA affiliated figure skating club should get information about it, the option to easily make a group booking etc.

I've heard in the past that the ISU would welcome a UK bid for worlds, but would want the host city to be London.

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I've heard in the past that the ISU would welcome a UK bid for worlds, but would want the host city to be London.

I've heard this too, thanks for your post uhh and welcome to the British Thread. :)

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
I hadn’t heard that, very interesting... I definitely am not one who wants everything to be in London but I wonder why NISA won’t even consider it. Cost?

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just in case anybody missed it, Adagio Pairs skater Adam Jukes and his new partner Rosie Axon appeared on Britain's Got Talent on Saturday night, under the name "Rollabatics". (As the name suggests, they are using roller skates).

Here is the video of their audition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A40bo5jQYi0

Unfortunately, the intro has been cut out. But the gist of it is that they've only been skating together for 3 months, and Rosie has only been skating for 3 months. Oh, and they're an item.

From doing a bit of digging there now, I've found out that Rosie is an acrobat and has appeared as such in ice galas. (Presumably that's how they met). But, that wasn't mentioned on the programme.

Another thing that wasn't mentioned is that Adam appeared on the Polish version of BGT in 2017 with his previous partner, Natalia Sinkiewicz.

Here is a video (there may be better videos out there, but my knowledge of the Polish language is pretty much non-existant):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0NcUz7LBjM

Although a Google search has come up with a lot of stories about them appearing in ice galas, I can't actually find any videos of Natalia and Adam on the ice. Just photos.

I don't know if Adam has tried Rosie on the ice yet. But, given how new she is to Pairs skating, it is probably best for her to stick to the roller skates for now.

If the judges do put Rosie and Adam through to the Live Shows, it will be interesting to see what they do in their routine. Because you know the way the judges always want to see the acts "step it up" for the Live Shows. Well, they have already pulled out all the big money Pairs moves in their audition routine. So, my guess is that we will see a routine where Rosie introduces some of her acrobatic moves.

Looking forward to see what happens next in their journey.

CaroLiza_fan