2018-19 British figure skating | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2018-19 British figure skating

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
I know it sounds silly but I’m always impressed with just how similar roller skating and ice skating are. My uncle has gone ice skating with me a couple of times and he was an awesome roller skater and despite the fact I’m getting lessons he is noticeably more stable on his feet!

Anywho I came across this lovely article online about the Bray family; Connor (15), Mikan (13) and Calum (11). Here’s the link: https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20190504-00126352-kitanihon-l16

Unfortunately for us it’s in Japanese but to summarise:

•Connor is the reigning Advanced Novice Champion and is turning Junior next year. He hopes to go to a Japanese University where more [figure skating] competition and hopes to go to Junior Worlds next year;

•Mikan came 6th in Intermediate Novice. She’s aiming to win nationals next year but doesn’t say if that’ll be in Intermediate Novice or Advanced Novice;

•Calum came 2nd in Basic Novice in the 2018 British Championships. He said he wants to improve his jumps.

They all train in Lee Valley which I think is where Graham Newberry used to train with his dad.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I know it sounds silly but I’m always impressed with just how similar roller skating and ice skating are. My uncle has gone ice skating with me a couple of times and he was an awesome roller skater and despite the fact I’m getting lessons he is noticeably more stable on his feet!

You know, a few weeks ago when there was a thread discussing why figure skating was being run by a governing body that is headed by speed skaters, I started wondering what the setup was like in the summer version of our sport, i.e. artistic roller skating. And, as with the ice, the roller versions of figure skating and speed skating are under the same governing body. But, it is even more wide ranging, taking in rink hockey (the roller version of ice hockey), roller derby, and skateboarding. And I was thinking "would it not have made more sense to have the summer and winter versions of each sport being governed together? They do it like that in ski sports"

But, that is getting waaaayyyy off topic.

Anyway, what I wanted to say is that the BGT audition from Rollabatics was the final clip that was featured on Friday night's episode of "Gogglebox". And every single person was very impressed with what they were seeing.

Oh, and I have brought this up in another thread as a way of reviving the discussion about how to increase the interest in Pairs skating. My new post can be found here:

https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/s...ere-do-we-go&p=2395767&viewfull=1#post2395767

Also, I have finally found a video of Adam Jukes doing Pairs skating on ice. It is from 2011, when he was partnered by Hungarian skater Katalin Szakál:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8KDz0lyIQU

Adam uploaded it to his YouTube channel, but it is currently unlisted (presumably because they had split within a few years). I was only able to find it because Katalin has it as part of a playlist on her YouTube channel.

There are also some videos of Adam doing individual jumps on the ice on his YouTube channel.

I have also found out that he was a regular participant in the annual "Hot Ice Show" in Blackpool. There are lists of the participants from each year since 1995 on this Wikipedia page (unfortunately, they are just alphabetical lists of skaters, so partners are not listed together), and Adam took part every year from 2005 to 2010 (Katalin was only listed for 2010).

Really hope the judges do put Rosie and Adam through to the Live shows, because I am intrigued to see what they plan to do next.

CaroLiza_fan

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
It would be interesting to see how they do in the public vote.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
New international competition in Dundee in August:

9-13 August 2019 Dundee GBR The Tayside Trophy (also Pairs)

Ladies, Men and Pairs in Junior and Senior.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just finished watching Saturday's episode of "Britain's Got Talent", and I am delighted to report that Rosie and Adam have got through to the Semi-Finals.

:cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :points: :hb:

In fact, they will be kicking off the Live Shows, as they are the first act on tonight's Semi Final.

EDIT: OK, so it turns out that the running order on Wikipedia isn't actually the running order. They weren't opening the show. But, I'll let you know when they are actually coming on.​

Monday 27[SUP]th[/SUP] May 2019
ITV 19:30 – 21:00 Britain's Got Talent Semi Final 1
ITV 21:30 – 22:00 Britain's Got Talent Semi Final 1 Results

So, 2 hours from now for the start of the performance show.

And of course, it will be the same times on Scottish TV, Ulster TV and TV3.

It's going to be a tough night, because there are quite a few acts that I liked appearing on tonight's show. And only 2 of them get through to Sunday's Final.

But, hopefully our Pairs Skaters will make it.

:cheer: ALL THE BEST, ROLLABATICS!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Right. They're not opening the show - they're closing it!!!

And from seeing them get introduced as the act coming up after the advert break, the costumes are rather, erm, missing! :shocked:

Getting flashbacks to Russell Crowe and co. in Gladiator!

:cheer: ALL THE BEST GUYS!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Have to be honest, I thought they were better in the audition.

That is not to say that what they were doing tonight wasn't impressive. Because it was. I just preferred the audition routine.

I think my problem was that, rather than adding to the routine, they added to the staging. So, we had pyrotechnics, special effects and other people on the stage. When all I wanted to see was good skating.

After all, they didn't need all these extras to get them through to the Semi Finals. The skating was good enough to achieve that by itself.

But, please get behind them. We need to get Pairs skating to a wider audience.

I won't give the full phone numbers in case it goes against the rules on here. But, you add "08" onto the end for them.

CaroLiza_fan

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I couldn't believe the Roller Adagio Pair didn't at least make the top 3. :noshake:

I gather today is the final day of the Lewis Gibson/PapCiz Skate Camps in London after the one in Ayr. I've seen bits and pieces on Twitter but as I'm not on FB or Insta, hoping for any links to more pics/videos/anything about it all.

I did read a tweet that Emily Phillips/Jayin Panesar (AdvNov GB Champs) and the Fairbridges (IntNov GB Champs) - both Lucine Chakmajian/David Phillips trained - attended the London camp, which is fantastic news, as I'm sure both couples will have learnt a lot. No pics though. :coffee:

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Unfortunately a lot of the insta pics were on the stories so they’re gone now. But if I can fine any I’ll post them here.

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Here, you can find almost everything published I think : https://papciz-gram.tumblr.com/

Thank you sooooo much! :thank::bow::hap10::2thumbs:

How lovely that the Guildford Coaches, Lucine & David and their icedancers gave Gaby such a lovely card and flowers.
I see Alessio is there too, looks like every Dancer from Guildford attended the AllyPally camp (everytime I see those beautiful arch windows, the location up on the hill with an overview of the city, the seating area inside the rink, it all screams *I AM PERFECT FOR A JGP*).

I'm so proud that Gaby & Guillaume seem to enjoy coming here and they feel the love, just like their appearance at Dancing on Ice after Olympics and before Worlds, which gave them a boost. GB will always be the home of Ice Dance. :)

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Will there be any British ladies on the GP this season?

It all depends if:
1. British Ice Skating put anyone forward for it;
2. If they get chosen in the second round of picks as none of our girls are guaranteed a slot.

I think with Natasha making the FS at Worlds it’s likely they’ll submit her but there are a lot of juniors coming up next year so I’m not certain we’ll get picked.

How lovely that the Guildford Coaches, Lucine & David and their icedancers gave Gaby such a lovely card and flowers.
I see Alessio is there too, looks like every Dancer from Guildford attended the AllyPally camp (everytime I see those beautiful arch windows, the location up on the hill with an overview of the city, the seating area inside the rink, it all screams *I AM PERFECT FOR A JGP*).

They got gifted tartan scarves in Ayr as well. I’m glad they had a nice time. It was such a great idea and so nice of them to accept Lewis’s invitation.

I really want a JGP too...

Here, you can find almost everything published I think : https://papciz-gram.tumblr.com/

You’re the best! Thank you!

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
They got gifted tartan scarves in Ayr as well. I’m glad they had a nice time. It was such a great idea and so nice of them to accept Lewis’s invitation.

Yes, well done Lewis for organizing everything! :cool:

More pics added today!! :love:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Didn't get a chance to go online over the weekend, so I only just saw that it was John Kerr's birthday yesterday.

:cheer: HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY, JOHN :cheer:

Surely it can't be true that this is his last birthday in his 30's! :drama: :eek:

In preparation for the Women's World Cup starting at the end of the week, I am just starting to watch the BBC coverage of the Scotland v. Jamaica warm-up match that was played in Glasgow a few days ago. Trying to get more familiar with those Scottish players that don't play in the WSL, so that I know all the girls when I am cheering them on come Sunday... ;) :biggrin:

I see that the Scotland team is now being coached by former Arsenal manager Shelley Kerr. So, I am going to take this opportunity to re-ask a question that I have asked on this forum a few times over the years (e.g. here), but nobody knew the answer to. But now that we have a British thread, there might be somebody here who does know the answer.

Is Shelley related to Sinéad and John?

Over the years, I have often thought that Shelley looked a lot like John (I'm talking about his pre-beard days, of course! :laugh: ) And when I started digging and discovered that they were both born in Broxburn, it seemed too much to be just coincidence.

I'm nearly sure that Shelley is not an older sister. But, could she be another relation?

Answers on a postcard please to...

By the way, were you at the match DSQ? If so, I hope you had a great time watching your two teams. Hey, I'm sure you're relieved that they aren't in the same group for the tournament itself!

CaroLiza_fan

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Well Shelley is from the same town in West Lothian as they are but they don’t follow each other on Twitter, perhaps distant cousins?

I wasn’t there but I’m happy both teams have qualified for the main tournament. Getting to the group stages is the first step, so they are both doing better than the Men’s teams!

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
The Kerrs have a brother. No other sister.

Well Shelley is from the same town in West Lothian as they are but they don’t follow each other on Twitter, perhaps distant cousins?

Thanks, guys.

They are not connected on Facebook either, so I had already discounted the possibility of them being siblings and was thinking that the closest they could be was cousins. Speaking from personal experience, I have a few cousins that I am not connected with (including one that actually deleted me!), so this could be possible.

I wasn’t there but I’m happy both teams have qualified for the main tournament. Getting to the group stages is the first step, so they are both doing better than the Men’s teams!

That is always a nice thing to see, the women's teams doing better than their male counterparts. And although neither team will be amongst the favourites from their group to get through to the knockout stages, it is not beyond the realms of possibility.

Looking forward to a good tournament.

CaroLiza_fan