Choreography legend David Wilson a man in demand | Golden Skate

Choreography legend David Wilson a man in demand

Good on him for being in demand. Now if he can just go back to making programs like Yuna Kim's The Lark Ascending or Sasha Cohen's Romeo and Juliet, or Javier Fernandez's Charlie Chaplin (2013 version), it would be great. Otherwise, all it seems is that people are going to him because the judges know he made those programs, and now whatever bland garbage he makes is seen in a positive light.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I love both EXs he did for Shoma (This Town & Time After Time), and his Guys and Dolls for Javi's 2015-16 season was great.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I also found the majority of his program bland or generic. Or the skaters simply could not execute his programs in their full extent. Both Shae Lynn Bourne and Daniil are more dynamic give skaters more intricate programs.

Good on him for being in demand. Now if he can just go back to making programs like Yuna Kim's The Lark Ascending or Sasha Cohen's Romeo and Juliet, or Javier Fernandez's Charlie Chaplin (2013 version), it would be great. Otherwise, all it seems is that people are going to him because the judges know he made those programs, and now whatever bland garbage he makes is seen in a positive light.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
David Wilson has created lots of fantastic programs and those are seen as such, because the skaters in question have been able to skate to his choreography plus interpret the music fully. Lots of skaters are not on that level, but they have had a choreography they are able to perform.

Now and then I still watch Javi´s freeskate from 2016 Worlds which was a masterpiece:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JK6iHE6oQg

Cinnamon, thanks so much for the interview link!!! That was great reading and it was a big surprise to find Wilson´s memories about John Curry.

cinnamon

On the Ice
Cinnamon, thanks so much for the interview link!!! That was great reading and it was a big surprise to find Wilson´s memories about John Curry.

My pleasure. For me, it was a surprise to see this was done by Jack Gallagher. I remember when he began covering figure skating for the Japan Times a while ago, we could tell he didn't know the figure skating world. But this time, I've figured out that he has already written lots of articles under the name of ICE TIME. And this interview was done well, IMO.
I'm going to read more when I'll have time.
Here is the link for those who are interested:
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/column/ice-time/

Nika09

On the Ice
D.Wilson is a genius in that choreography world, that's for sure. But there's one thing about him: if he's on the same wave with some skater he could and he's creating epic programs. Otherwise it's going to be "regular" one.

And it's obvious that they got that perfect chemistry from collaboration with Yuna Kim.
Of course, I could mention some amazing Wilson programs for other skaters that worked out as well.
"In the Garden of Souls" for Daisuke Takahashi one of those examples comes to my mind right now...and one of Daisuke's epic programs. Always was wondering why his team choose Lori for his last season FP choreo, instead of Wilson or Camerlengo or even Morozov himself...(so now I'm glad and looking forward for his new SP with David).
With Yuna though there was something special. More or less, he did make almost all her programs unforgettably good. Legendary. So no surprise that Wilson was so upset with possibility to won't be able to work with her again. These people are artists, who are looking for the skaters who will inspire them to create an art. And when they find one they just don't want to lose.

It was very interesting to read, thank you for sharing!

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
D.Wilson is a genius in that choreography world, that's for sure. But there's one thing about him: if he's on the same wave with some skater he could and he's creating epic programs. Otherwise it's going to be "regular" one.

But sometimes maybe it takes a while... his competitive programs for Yuzuru are definitely not among the ones fans remember best, so you would think that they didn't click (though part of that may have been David learning along with Yuzu how to deal with the massive technical increases every season). But then there's Notte Stellata, one of the most beautiful exhibition pieces ever choreographed with the little touches of skating history noted by commentators. Definitely one of David's masterpieces.

When he's on... he's superbly on.

Weathergal

Medalist

And it's obvious that they got that perfect chemistry from collaboration with Yuna Kim.
Of course, I could mention some amazing Wilson programs for other skaters that worked out as well.
"In the Garden of Souls" for Daisuke Takahashi one of those examples comes to my mind right now...and one of Daisuke's epic programs. Always was wondering why his team choose Lori for his last season FP choreo, instead of Wilson or Camerlengo or even Morozov himself...(so now I'm glad and looking forward for his new SP with David).
With Yuna though there was something special. More or less, he did make almost all her programs unforgettably good. Legendary. So no surprise that Wilson was so upset with possibility to won't be able to work with her again. These people are artists, who are looking for the skaters who will inspire them to create an art. And when they find one they just don't want to lose.

It was very interesting to read, thank you for sharing!

"In the Garden of Souls" is one of my favorite Daisuki programs. Didn't realize Wilson choreographed it.

Nika09

On the Ice
But sometimes maybe it takes a while... his competitive programs for Yuzuru are definitely not among the ones fans remember best, so you would think that they didn't click (though part of that may have been David learning along with Yuzu how to deal with the massive technical increases every season). But then there's Notte Stellata, one of the most beautiful exhibition pieces ever choreographed with the little touches of skating history noted by commentators. Definitely one of David's masterpieces.

When he's on... he's superbly on.

Thing is, IMO packaging all those big elements into program so you're forgetting about jumps and concentrating on program, and then you're back to them (performances) again and again even though there're maybe some mistakes on technical aspect...it's successful choreography. It's art.
And Wilson couldn't make it good enough for Yuzuru. But SL.Bourne did (just to continue with Yuzuru programs as examples). "Seimei" and then "Hope and Legacy", which have same and even more difficulties, are beautiful programs. And you don't even notice 4-5 quads in it. Isn't it perfect? But if I'd name just one choreographer, imo Yuzuru is inspiration for...this's definitely Buttle. From the very first cooperative work, all their programs are absolutely amazing. Different content, different styles but equally stunning! So I hope to get more of them.

But surely, there's no objective criteria for "how epic program should look like" and vast majority of opinions are subjective :)

"In the Gsrden of Souls" is one of my favorite Daisuki programs. Didn't realize Wilson choreographed it.

It's glorious indeed.

Clairecz

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
Great article! I love all his programs for Javi, especially Guys & Dolls and Danny Boy (with the exception of Peter Gunn, that's a big no-no, although Javi /for some obscure reason/ loved it so much)
During WC2016 David did an interview and compared Yuzuru, Javi and Patrick. It's very interesting, though he takes very long to get to the point ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz79EdWQl7g

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Just realized that Evgenia's both programs are from David Wilson. It will be interesting to see her programs.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
And Wilson couldn't make it good enough for Yuzuru. But SL.Bourne did (just to continue with Yuzuru programs as examples). "Seimei" and then "Hope and Legacy", which have same and even more difficulties, are beautiful programs. And you don't even notice 4-5 quads in it. Isn't it perfect? But if I'd name just one choreographer, imo Yuzuru is inspiration for...this's definitely Buttle. From the very first cooperative work, all their programs are absolutely amazing. Different content, different styles but equally stunning! So I hope to get more of them.

Oh I agree, I am hoping Shae-Lynn and Jeff are doing his competition pieces... and it's a lovely thought that both of them are a part of those three now-historic records forever :)

champs

Final Flight
In the Garden of Souls for Daisuke is indeed my most favorite program of his (all of my favorite programs of Daisuke happen to be SPs) BUT if I ever have to pick just one favorite David Wilson choreography, that would be Takahiko Kozuka's SP in 2011-12 to Inner Urge. The footwork especially was truly a gem, though sadly it was too challenging even for him to keep all the Level 4 criteria in check throughout the season.