Stolbova and Klimov split / retirement | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Stolbova and Klimov split / retirement

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Although, TAT said the fed might drive Ksenia out of the country if they won’t help her to find a new partner.
Interesting! And f.e. if there's a french pair skater who Ksenia wants to team up with I think chances are high that they'd skate for France, not for Russia, so I guess TAT is right. I think it will be easier for Fedor, he will be able to choose from the 2nd tier armada of Russia's female single skaters if he wants to... I mean, who wouldn't want to skate with him? It could be a great oppurtunity for one of those talented girls to continue their skating career on a high level.

LadyB

Record Breaker
I think it will be easier for Fedor, he will be able to choose from the 2nd tier armada of Russia's female single skaters if he wants to..
Afaik, Fedor was/is doing trial practice with Lena Pavlova, a 17-year-old pair skater from
junior Mozer Team ranks.

madforskating

On the Ice
Bruno was okay but more like a puppy following its leader. Savchenko was a diva; very few partners could match that. Too bad there isn't a Russian man with enough charisma and power (maybe retired Trankov) to match Diva Ksenia. But my heart sankthough this was expected. With olympic retirements and so many not skating the GrandPrix or this year - Mirai, Asley, Weaver and Poje, Osmond, and very iffy Kostner I just want to cry. S/K had so much potential. Another one bites the dust:( Now the state of Russianpairs skating is officially not so hot.

Well we can't deny that Aliona was the star of that pair, there's no one who could match her in "diva power" (I mean that in a good way). Bruno's strength was simply being huge and being able to lift and throw her like crazy, and while it's not as obvious of a talent, it's still impressive.

Maxim Trankov and Ksenia would kill each other, and I don't want my queen dead LOL

I agree it is sad without all our faves, I guess we'll just have to hang in there until some new talent rushes in!

madforskating

On the Ice
Some comments on this thread are really ... interesting :laugh2:
Ksenia deserves every credit she can get. She’s a top skater, she’s beautiful and she speaks her mind. If that scares some people, I feel very sorry for those tender souls :console:
As for Fedor: I’ve experienced it more than once that I posted a pic on IG/Twitter of S/K in action or just Fedor in a particular move, and I’ve got feedback from someone close to the professional skating community who told me that he’s undervalued and his movements were just perfect. No joke, I wouldn’t know, but I believe an expert. And all those people were either familiar names or I checked them out.
They both want to continue and are already trialling potential partners. It’ll never be the same, as SK were electric on the ice and totally sexy. The way they were acting while skating, they just matched each other in class and looks. Oh well, I wish them both the utmost happiness and success :luv17:
Deputat would be lovely (my Katia knew what she was doing marrying him ;) but is he not training to become a skating judge? It’s also been a while. Smirnov would be my choice...
But Bilodeau?????? He’s not even in his dreams anywhere near the class of Fedor or Ksenia. Although, TAT said the fed might drive Ksenia out of the country if they won’t help her to find a new partner.

I agree so much, LadyB! I think all the people who hate Ksenia are just small-minded people who do not know how to handle a gorgeous young woman who is honest, confident, and open about her feelings. If you want a boring little princess, there are plenty of those for you. I prefer Ksenia.

Fedor, on the other hand, always had this grace on the ice like no other. Besides twist (which was of course hampered by the shoulder injury), he was one of the most well-rounded pair men out there. He had great lines, consistent jumps (I think he only fell on one jump in competition in the past four years!), and excellent skating skills. What I like about him is that he is not just a big truck that tears across the ice; he moves with finesse. So whoever he ends up skating with will have won the jackpot.

They were beautiful together - visually they were just so striking (it helps when they are both so gorgeous!). Deputat was awesome but I'm in favor of Smirnov, he always had the worst luck and it would just seem right if he got another chance. I liked Bilodeau when he was with Seguin, but he's not at Fedor's level and unless Ksenia could Massot him to her level, I don't see that working.

I really wish Fedor could skate with Lubov Ilyushechkina, she's lovely, but she's already retired and gone on to skate for Cirque du Soleil, and I don't think she'd ever go back to Russia. Ah, it was a nice thought...

hanca

Record Breaker
Some comments on this thread are really ... interesting :laugh2:
Ksenia deserves every credit she can get. She’s a top skater, she’s beautiful and she speaks her mind. If that scares some people, I feel very sorry for those tender souls :console:
As for Fedor: I’ve experienced it more than once that I posted a pic on IG/Twitter of S/K in action or just Fedor in a particular move, and I’ve got feedback from someone close to the professional skating community who told me that he’s undervalued and his movements were just perfect. No joke, I wouldn’t know, but I believe an expert. And all those people were either familiar names or I checked them out.
They both want to continue and are already trialling potential partners. It’ll never be the same, as SK were electric on the ice and totally sexy. The way they were acting while skating, they just matched each other in class and looks. Oh well, I wish them both the utmost happiness and success :luv17:
Deputat would be lovely (my Katia knew what she was doing marrying him ;) but is he not training to become a skating judge? It’s also been a while. Smirnov would be my choice...
But Bilodeau?????? He’s not even in his dreams anywhere near the class of Fedor or Ksenia. Although, TAT said the fed might drive Ksenia out of the country if they won’t help her to find a new partner.
Sopot from juniors. He is very tall, pretty strong and his partner measures 169cm, so I don’t think they will last long term. Getting someone as tiny as Ksenia would be great for him. And he will be moving to seniors next season anyway because he is aging out. He is younger than Ksenia, but so is Cipres younger than Vanessa James.

libecha

Rinkside
I totally disagree! Klimov had talent!! she needs someone who accepts her as far superior which Klimov didn’t because he was very good. She needs a massot type who accepts their inferiority and not act as equal even if they are.

That dynamic only works if the superior partner doesn't pull that card. Aljona was clearly the Queen, and who knows what practices were like behind closed doors, but in public I don't recall one unkind word from her to or about Bruno. Certainly no death stares.

Mdk0144

On the Ice
She should have grabbed Rogonov while he was available.

Well, I’m not against Rogonov, but his shoulders aren’t that strong (still better than Fedor tho) and his skating skills doesnt match Ksenia, so i dont think they’ll really match great. Dmitri sopot seems to be a great idea.

hanca

Record Breaker
Well, I’m not against Rogonov, but his shoulders aren’t that strong (still better than Fedor tho) and his skating skills doesnt match Ksenia, so i dont think they’ll really match great. Dmitri sopot seems to be a great idea.
Rogonov may not match Ksenia with his skills, but then Massot was far away from Aliona’s skills. I think trying to work it out with Rogonov would take much less work than if she tries to use someone like Sopot, Deputat or even Novoselov. The bottom line is, Sopot is a junior and even if he has potential, he is far away from where he needs to be. Deputat and Novoselov are not juniors but they never got to the required level. It may be because they are not capable, or it may be that they never had the opportunity. (If Massot didn’t pair up with Savchenko, he would have eventually retired as an average pair guy rather than the Olympic champion and no one would ever know that he is capable much more).

LadyB

Record Breaker
They were beautiful together - visually they were just so striking (it helps when they are both so gorgeous!).

Which is why Deputat or Smirnov would be fantastic, but it's not gonna happen, and Lubov is nowhere near Fedor's league, I'm afraid.

A little tip to all those who like to portrait Ksenia as an ice cold, spiteful and arrogant b***h (cause that is what a diva/queen/tsarina or any such nonsense means to me): It's been said many times in interviews that she is totally determined when on the ice. She wants to win and she takes no prisoners. Surprise, surprise, she's a professional athlete. In her programmes she plays a role and she plays it very well. Javi is neither Don Quixote nor Charlie Chaplin, but he plays the parts in a superb fashion. Acting is part of the job.

I'm sure that anyone who has ever followed Ksenia's IG or VK accounts knows that fun-loving, belly-laughing, good time party girl who has lots of friends all over the world. Maybe the WeaPos would have a different description of her personality (in particular Kate). She is a very careing and loving daughter to her mum whom she adores. We all know those people who are intimidated by a beautiful young woman with her own mind. Well,...

icetug

Medalist
Sopot from juniors. He is very tall, pretty strong and his partner measures 169cm, so I don’t think they will last long term. Getting someone as tiny as Ksenia would be great for him. And he will be moving to seniors next season anyway because he is aging out. He is younger than Ksenia, but so is Cipres younger than Vanessa James.
I don't think he would split with Poluyanova as she's his girlfriend (and he ended his previous partnership for her) :slink:.

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
Late to the thread, but wishing Ksenia and Fedor good luck in their new partnerships. I expected this, as in the last two seasons S/K seemed miserable to me skating together; clearly something went wrong for this pair. I hope the new pairs are successful, healthy and get great programs.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Well, did it not work out with that Frenchman she was working with?

What would Russia prefer to do? Who would they rather trade Drozd or Stolbova?

What would France prefer to do? Who would they rather trade Novoselov or Abashkina?

What would be a win-win for both sides? Neither Novoselov nor Abashkina have great currency. What titles do they bring with their names? On the other hand Drozd is a promising ice dancer with at least two more quads in his future, if all goes well.

Stolbova, with her tendency towards injury as great as she is has maybe one more quad at best. So I can see Russia trading her rather than Drozd, but if they do Stolbova and partner could become unecessary competition for Russia. But then again Russia seems to have a healthy stable of junior pairs. If they release Drozd, again as the French ice dance scene is pretty scant, they could again develop in time to a team Russia doesn't want to compete with, flashbacks of Anissina come to mind. So they might want to keep Drozd and let him develop with a new partner however France might be hesitant to give away Abashkina if it could mean improving Russia's future prospects. It looks like a stalemate.

hanca

Record Breaker
I don't think he would split with Poluyanova as she's his girlfriend (and he ended his previous partnership for her) :slink:.

I know that Poluyanova is his girlfriend but after seeing them yesterday, I have some doubts whether they have any long-term prospects. They are together second season now and they are not that much better than couples who paired before this season. It is not that she would be a bad skater, she lands jumps and does what she is expected to do, but many elements are so much harder if the female partner is not small enough. Poluyanova/Sopot struggle with levels on quite a few elements and having someone smaller would very likely immediately fixed those problems. So I wonder whether she will realise it and let him go, or whether he will keep lifting her until he gets injured or until she grows to some 175cm and then he won’t be able to lift her or refuse to lift her, or until their coach put stop to it. Why waste a decent pair male with good prospects to skate with someone who doesn’t have the prospects? I know it is not her fault and it is sad, but it’s life. This year they are still juniors. Next year, in seniors they probably won’t qualify for GP event, and definitely not for Europeans/worlds. So they will be skating for Russian cup home events, Russian nationals and the top of their season will be some B competitions or challenger. It’s such a waste not to use him properly.

bramweld

Record Breaker
I know that Poluyanova is his girlfriend but after seeing them yesterday, I have some doubts whether they have any long-term prospects. They are together second season now and they are not that much better than couples who paired before this season. It is not that she would be a bad skater, she lands jumps and does what she is expected to do, but many elements are so much harder if the female partner is not small enough. Poluyanova/Sopot struggle with levels on quite a few elements and having someone smaller would very likely immediately fixed those problems. So I wonder whether she will realise it and let him go, or whether he will keep lifting her until he gets injured or until she grows to some 175cm and then he won’t be able to lift her or refuse to lift her, or until their coach put stop to it. Why waste a decent pair male with good prospects to skate with someone who doesn’t have the prospects? I know it is not her fault and it is sad, but it’s life. This year they are still juniors. Next year, in seniors they probably won’t qualify for GP event, and definitely not for Europeans/worlds. So they will be skating for Russian cup home events, Russian nationals and the top of their season will be some B competitions or challenger. It’s such a waste not to use him properly.

Is he really that good though?

pearly

Record Breaker
Which is why Deputat or Smirnov would be fantastic, but it's not gonna happen, and Lubov is nowhere near Fedor's league, I'm afraid.

A little tip to all those who like to portrait Ksenia as an ice cold, spiteful and arrogant b***h (cause that is what a diva/queen/tsarina or any such nonsense means to me): It's been said many times in interviews that she is totally determined when on the ice. She wants to win and she takes no prisoners. Surprise, surprise, she's a professional athlete. In her programmes she plays a role and she plays it very well. Javi is neither Don Quixote nor Charlie Chaplin, but he plays the parts in a superb fashion. Acting is part of the job.

I'm sure that anyone who has ever followed Ksenia's IG or VK accounts knows that fun-loving, belly-laughing, good time party girl who has lots of friends all over the world. Maybe the WeaPos would have a different description of her personality (in particular Kate). She is a very careing and loving daughter to her mum whom she adores. We all know those people who are intimidated by a beautiful young woman with her own mind. Well,...

I've heard she's left choreographers in tears because of her attitude (the one you see on ice and in the KnC). There are other skaters who are determined and want to win (and do win), but are still pleasant to work with. Just putting it out there, no desire to get into a big discussion. However that might make it difficult for her to find a new partner.

hanca

Record Breaker
Is he really that good though?

He was on top in juniors (bronze at junior worlds and gold at JGPF) a few years back with a girl who didn’t have the jumps. So even though the jumps were not there, all other elements were top levels (a bit like Panfilova/Rylov now).

If you are asking if he is really that good that he would match his current skills with Stolbova, then no, not many even senior men can match her skills. But if the question is whether he has the potential, yes he definitely does. He has talent, but he obviously doesn’t have senior level medal contender skills yet. He is a talented junior, not a senior yet.

Mdk0144

On the Ice
He was on top in juniors (bronze at junior worlds and gold at JGPF) a few years back with a girl who didn’t have the jumps. So even though the jumps were not there, all other elements were top levels (a bit like Panfilova/Rylov now).

If you are asking if he is really that good that he would match his current skills with Stolbova, then no, not many even senior men can match her skills. But if the question is whether he has the potential, yes he definitely does. He has talent, but he obviously doesn’t have senior level medal contender skills yet. He is a talented junior, not a senior yet.

Well i think the skills could be better with Ksenia. Bruno massot hadn’t had a skill to match with Aliona at the first, and i feel he’s still a way back from his partner, but he developed rapidly and became an Olympic champion.
Ksenia is one of the best girls among the pair field. And with a powerful partner, she could give some of her skills and experiences. Sopot is a powerful guy, who can actually do a triple twist with a 169cm girl. He could maybe try a quad with Stolbova, like Zhang did with Peng cheng.
Novoselev and Rogonov doesnt seems to have a powerful shoulder for me. I just think they don’t have the potential to be an Olympic Champion.

hanca

Record Breaker
I guess it is not about who has powerful shoulders though. Rogonov is closest to Stolbova’s level and we know he has the potential to get to the top. He was never prone to making mistakes. I think with Astakhova he was the stronger partner. So it would be realistic to aim for the next Olympics. With Sopot we know he has potential but it will be a lot of work. How do we know that four years would be enough time to get him where he needs to be? Even the best potential may not be enough if there is not enough time. He is a junior after all! The same with Deputat, although after seeing him with Bazarova I am not that sure about his potential. It was not always her making the mistakes; he made his share of the mistakes too. I think what is needed is consistency, otherwise one can’t get to the world podium level in 3-4 years. And with Novoselov, we don’t know his potential. Maybe he could get there like Massot did, or maybe he is not talented enough. The only way of finding it out is by trying and it is not as if Stolbova can afford to have several long-term partneships and then choose the one with the best potential.

So if I was choosing, it would be Rogonov. Sopot is a decent second option, but it may take longer and I am not sure if Stolbova would like to stay for two Olympic cycles.

bramweld

Record Breaker
I guess it is not about who has powerful shoulders though. Rogonov is closest to Stolbova’s level and we know he has the potential to get to the top. He was never prone to making mistakes. I think with Astakhova he was the stronger partner. So it would be realistic to aim for the next Olympics. With Sopot we know he has potential but it will be a lot of work. How do we know that four years would be enough time to get him where he needs to be? Even the best potential may not be enough if there is not enough time. He is a junior after all! The same with Deputat, although after seeing him with Bazarova I am not that sure about his potential. It was not always her making the mistakes; he made his share of the mistakes too. I think what is needed is consistency, otherwise one can’t get to the world podium level in 3-4 years. And with Novoselov, we don’t know his potential. Maybe he could get there like Massot did, or maybe he is not talented enough. The only way of finding it out is by trying and it is not as if Stolbova can afford to have several long-term partneships and then choose the one with the best potential.

So if I was choosing, it would be Rogonov. Sopot is a decent second option, but it may take longer and I am not sure if Stolbova would like to stay for two Olympic cycles.

I hear ya, but Rogonov seems plenty pleased with Alina and he appears to be friendly with her. It appears Ksenia likes to keep work amd social life completely separate so that might be a deal breaker. I just have this feeling though, based on Tarasova's most recent comments that Russia would be keen on seeing Ksenia off to France, but I really don't think Ksenia would agree to that. She'd lose her lifetime stipend from Russia right? But these are just my guesses, only time will tell.